Originally Posted By mcantu:
@Foxtrot08

Does this make sense?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Genin:
Hoppes or Sweet's 7.62 for cleaning.  For lubrication I use aa 50/50 mix of mobil synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid.   For applications where I want thicker lubrication, I mix some synthetic grease in with the 50/50 motor oil/transmission fluid.  So far, it has worked great, but I have only been using it for 5-6 years.  

My rationale was that the synthetic motor oil/transmission fluid was designed to work in environments of heat, high pressure and moving parts...just like firearms.  I paid around $10 per quart, so for around $20-25 for a half gallon of really good lubricants that I'm still using.  

I perceive there are two parts to firearms maintenance...cleaning, then lubricating.   For long term storage, there could be a third part of maintenance.
@Foxtrot08

Does this make sense?

Eh. Not really. But it’s fine.  Firearms lubrication doesn’t need over thinking.  

I just wouldn’t use ATF because it’s not adding anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Hoppes 9 and Wilson Combat
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By colklink:
Hoppes#9 for cleaning, Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic for lube.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Slip...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skindroid] [#6]
Mobil1 10W30.  

Everything else is snake oil or just stupid expensive for what it is.

And also probably not even close to being as good for lubrication as Mobil1.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Eh. Not really. But it’s fine.  Firearms lubrication doesn’t need over thinking.  

View All Quotes
Hoppes or Sweet's 7.62 for cleaning.  For lubrication I use aa 50/50 mix of mobil synthetic motor oil and transmission fluid.   For applications where I want thicker lubrication, I mix some synthetic grease in with the 50/50 motor oil/transmission fluid.  So far, it has worked great, but I have only been using it for 5-6 years.  

My rationale was that the synthetic motor oil/transmission fluid was designed to work in environments of heat, high pressure and moving parts...just like firearms.  I paid around $10 per quart, so for around $20-25 for a half gallon of really good lubricants that I'm still using.  

I perceive there are two parts to firearms maintenance...cleaning, then lubricating.   For long term storage, there could be a third part of maintenance.
@Foxtrot08

Does this make sense?

So oil is oil. Got it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used:
-motor oil
-Ballistol
-Slip 2000
-Lucas
-LSA
-Cherry Balmz
-Hoppes
-Frog Lube
-some others I can't remember

The only one that gummed up and jammed was Frog Glue. I came home and threw the rest
Of that shit away.

Left over motor oil is the cheapest.  It doesn't seem to matter what weight or
synthetic or regular.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
For the semi-autos rifles I've been using that Lucas Oil and it seems to be pretty good. During the real hot weather I use the Slip ewl 30 and the extreme Sub-Zero cold weather I use LAW military lubricant.

What are you guys using for Lubes for your Glocks?

View Quote

I use several lubricants from CherryBalmz.  I also use ALG Go-Juice.  I have some graphite impregnated grease made for FALs but I haven't used it since I got the CherryBalmz.  I do also keep some Hoppe's gun oil on hand but not really for actually lubricating the firearm.  

For cleaning I use Hoppe's solvent, the new CherryBalmz CLPs (I also have some Breakfree CLP), WD40, and I am looking into solvents that will help with things like copper removal.

For blackpowder I have Hoppe's BP solvent and Murphy's oil soap for cleaning, and I use the lubes above and bore butter for lubing and preservation.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Sprinco Machine Gun Lube for everything.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Lubriplate

Motor oil is not for guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Ed's Red with Lanolin for cleaning and lubrication.  Anything that needs grease gets Lubriplate, I've got like 100 of the little Garand pots, I think I'm set for life on gun grease.  If I'm cleaning up after corrosive ammo I use Montana X-treme bore solvent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#13]
KG12 is the best copper fouling remover I've ever used.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By vampgrrl:
CLP for everything.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK47_COMMBLOC] [#15]
back when i was shooting at machinegun shoots and 545 and 54r corrosive was predominant i found out that the only thing that was pure magic in cleaning corrosive bore residue was tool box buddy by lucas oil.

i bought 3 12 pack cases of spray cans of it then found out one of my customers at knob creek machinegun shoot was brian the main sales and marketing guy at lucas oil. he gave me a free lifetime supply of it plus other products. awesome product and awesome company.

brian is an arfcommer and big retro head last i saw him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#16]
just use Berio extra virgin olive oil on everything.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been using Lucas Oil Extreme for the past 10ish years.  CLP, Oil, and Grease depending on the application.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#18]
MPro-7 cleaner

Lucas Extreme oil

Slide Glide Lite grease

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and denatured alcohol for degreasing prior to spray paint.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By skindroid:
Mobil1 10W30.  

Everything else is snake oil or just stupid expensive for what it is.

And also probably not even close to being as good for lubrication as Mobil1.
View Quote

The only thing, Mobil 1 may not provide exterior rust protection, not as much as say a Breakfree CLP.

I don't live near the ocean, so Mobil 1 works for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By macpherson:
Lubriplate

Motor oil is not for guns.
View Quote

Why is motor oil not for guns?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ordkhntr:
Pretty much whatever I have on hand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Like most people who have used guns for a long time, I have tried a variety of products. Once, I thought (as many do) that I NEEDED to use a product made specifically for firearms. I no longer believe that, based on some knowledge of lubricants and experience/experiments.

My latest experiment is lubing the bolt carrier of my 556 with synthetic 'wheel bearing grease.' It's only been on there for a couple of range trips so far, but it hasn't caused any issues. The only concern I might have is that it's pretty sticky, so I can imagine dirt getting stuck in there (it sticks to oil & CLP, too). However, I don't usually get dirty with my guns. I'm not dragging them around in the mud.

If I engage in some hard use or in dirty environment, I'll make sure to have some cleaning supplies or a spare.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By glocknick:

So oil is oil. Got it!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glocknick:

@Foxtrot08

Does this make sense?

So oil is oil. Got it!

No, remoil still fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#24]
High temp disc brake bearing grease.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I use Lucas or CLP or leftover Mobil 1.

It really doesn't matter to me it's just whatever is in front of me
when I'm cleaning.

Don't overthink the gun lube question, as long as there is some kind of quality lube on it you will be good.

Extreme environments might make a difference on the lube you need,  but 99% of us won't be in those places.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#26]
lots of good products -- Breakfree.  RemOil.  synthetic 0w oil.  i've used Birchwood synthetic oil and Ballistol.  also.

if i had to go with just ONE --- i would default to Breakfree CLP.   just based on past usage over ~40 years.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Not grease. Grease is oil in a binder. The oil does oil things. The binder remains and does decidedly not oil things.

Slip 2000 works just fine.

Lubricating firearms is not a very difficult environment. All it requires is that there be some, and not some that burns off at too low of a temperature or leaves any sort of sticky residue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Flashes off easily and leaves behind a residue that can be a real pain in the ass.

Remoil is to be avoided.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Always used Breakfree CLP.
But after this
Best CLP? Hoppe’s 9 vs Break Free CLP, Slip 2000, Ballistol, Frog Lube, Extreme Force, Clenzoil

I may get some Clenzoil to finish.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Oil for corrosion protection. Synthetic Grease for any and all friction areas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#31]
bacon grease.

people love shooting around me at the range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Just whatever oil I use for my car, which is some form of Mobile 1 synthetic oil, and an equal or close to equal amount of synthetic transmission fluid. The oil will lubricate, and the transmission fluid will lubricate, but also not allow the internals to rust, and adds a good bit of lubricity as well. It really doesn't matter which viscosity oil you use, tolerances aren't that tight on firearms ( compared to car engines ). Firearm part also don't move nearly as much as automobile parts.

I've used 20w50, 10w40, 10w30, 5w30, and straight 50w. It all goes in the oil bottle ( Mobile 1 Qt) with the Synthetic transmission fluid. I use Dextron / Mercron, but any modern fluid will work.

Just pour a half cup in the bottle each time you change your oil, or tilt the bottles over and wait a day for all of it to drain to the top, open the bottle upside down and put it in.

I haven't bought gun oil since the early 2000s. This stuff works just as good as any, and better than most. You can feel it in the smoothness of the action, and see it in the wear on the gun.

I use grease where it's called for on guns that it's called for.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Flashes off easily and leaves behind a residue that can be a real pain in the ass.

Remoil is to be avoided.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Remoil is to be avoided.

lol

It is the worst. I have a small bottle that came with a those 'gun maintenance' kit I got as a gift once. I use it on cabinet hinges and other random shit around the house. I won't use it on my guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

And great at collecting debris in your action unless you only shoot from a bench.
View Quote

Oh no! Your gun may get dirty!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Break Free CLP for general use

Break Free LP on the day I am going to the range and plan on fire a lot of rounds. On that note I have found that this does not dry out as fast as CLP and stays put longer.

Break Free Collector for my safe queens.

Occasionally I will run Hoppes 9 down the barrel during initial cleaning. I will then follow up with one of the above 3.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Ballistol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Home Brew AR Lube & AR Lubrication
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#38]
You asked about Glocks.   I use alg go juice and an acid brush.  It’s very thin and clear.  I love it for my Glocks. Wardawg Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

@Foxtrot08

I think the latest iteration from the department store is a thicker formula.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By gunsho11b:

Break Free CLP for general use

Break Free LP on the day I am going to the range and plan on fire a lot of rounds. On that note I have found that this does not dry out as fast as CLP and stays put longer.

Break Free Collector for my safe queens.

Occasionally I will run Hoppes 9 down the barrel during initial cleaning. I will then follow up with one of the above 3.

View Quote

@gunsho11b

Is Break Free Collector petroleum based? I think CLP and LP are synthetic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunsho11b] [#41]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

@gunsho11b

Is Break Free Collector petroleum based? I think CLP and LP are synthetic.
View Quote

Honestly I am not sure. I think it is. But it serves it purpose and I have not noticed any rust on any of the weapons I put it on.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Ballistol is all I've used for a decade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#43]
95% of the time, MPro 7 and Patch-out bore cleaner.
When it gets bad, I break out the Kroil and JB Bore paste....

Lube = Mobil 1 10W-30 and Superlube...

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Dear god, not that shit again
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Breakfree CLP for cleaning and light lube.  I just bought a gallon jug.  I'm set for life.

Also Mobil 1 Synthetic in either 5w or 10w-30 for extra lube on my rifles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Clp to clean.

ALG purple to lube.

In about 3 years I have used about half the bottle.

Last year I got a new tv and put it on the wall with a mount that is 'fully' adjustable. When I first put it on I couldn't move it all that much, put some of the ALG on the pivot points, move like butter a year later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I should have said that I use BreakFree CLP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Mine  I use Ed's Red ( ATF , Mineral Spirits , Acetone, K1 Kerosene ,  20w50 motor oil in place of lanolin )

Students   or scout camp   use Ballistol - cleans ok but smells like a cat vomited up black licorice , 100% nontoxic
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
Whatever is handy. I do like the bottle of this stuff i have on guns with a lot of bearing surfaces (1911 vs Glock for example).
Geissele Automatics ALG Go-Juice 0000 Very Thin Grease
View Quote

I use it on my pistol barrels and slides
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
You asked about Glocks.   I use alg go juice and an acid brush.  It’s very thin and clear.  I love it for my Glocks. Wardawg https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_5753_jpeg-3201387.JPG
View Quote

Think you were the first to mention this.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top