Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 10:34:06 PM EDT
Someone asked me what I do with my photos. I take a lot, but don't do much with them except put them on the fridge and make screensavers out of them. What do you do with your photos?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have started making slide shows. One slde show for each year. Add background music.  First two, 2003 and 2004 (our only child [daughter] was born in 2003), are about 50 minutes each.

Toughest part is narrowing down which pictures to include to keep it under an hour and not end up boring those outside the immediate family.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
For well over 50 years now I shot a 35 MM with assorted lenses. With vacations and a lot of Pool parties at my house and other large get togethers(my wife had a large family). I always got multiple prints to sort and give to family members. With the advent of digital cameras I still make a lot of prints and now I put them in these small albums and let the family take the albums.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Make a living with them.

Big part of my job is creating images.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought about putting them on facebook. I don't like facebook anymore though. I hope parler gets up and running soon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Instagram, FB page, and selling prints.  Everything from postcard size to huge prints that need custom shipping.  Ideally I'd love to push my store and do it full time in the next year or two, but we'll see what the economy holds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Fill up my hard drive.

Had a few printed, but really just browse through them from time to time, refreshing memories.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what I do too, Fred. But sometimes I think it's a waste to spend money on good camera lenses, then go to all the trouble of taking good photos, just to make a screensaver out of them. But I don't like facebook politically, and I don't like how their terms state that they "own" any content published on their site, so I don't put them on facebook.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You do not transfer or relinquish copyright to Facebook when you post your original works to their site.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for that info. But I would still rather use Parler than facebook. Maybe I will start using Diaspora.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I do prints for my home and office.  Most people are happy with electronic copies, so I host and offer stuff through Smugmug, as well as getting the chance to license stuff out here and there.

I'm a climber, carpenter, teacher, engineer, anything but a photographer.  The photo hosting is primarily just a way to connect and keep in touch with people I've met out in the field - hiking, climbing, at overlook pullouts, hitchhiking, sandstorms, you know, the usual places you meet people.

It was nice to see a couple of images go to prints this past year.

I was able to track down the father and son in this photo.  From the way he tells it, it brought his wife to tear when she saw the photos.  They purchased these prints, one being a 20x30 metal print.  Unbeknownst to me, they were camped one dune over from me that night.  Just met trudging through the sand in opposite directions the next morning.  A nothing encounter that has turned into much more.

[this next one isn't one they purchased, but it gives better context to the two photos above]

But, it was also sad to have to pull some images from sale.

This print has taken on a bit more meaning in the past year.  I've pulled it down from sale until I can figure out a path forward for it.  I was never terribly happy with it.  Didn't put much thought into it at the time, just an inexpensive camera I set down for a few hours while I went out to the bar that night.  My D800 was either left down in the gardens below that night, or with me for time lapse work over at W&L.  Couldn't be in two places at once.  And I'd always be able to get back and do the photo right, under better lighting and with a better equipment.  Right?

Fortunately, I was recently able to go back to the original image, almost lost to a hard drive error because I saved this to my course-grading laptop, not my photo-grading desktop PC.  I was able to do some additional processing to subdue the noise that always bothered me, and I'm now able to get acceptable 30 inch prints from it.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
What I do with them depends on the nature of the photos.

For my sports and event photos, I put them on my Smugmug.com account for browsing and sales.

For my personal pictures, I put the images on my protected Smugmug.com. Sometimes the photos are ZIPped and distributed to family for special projects. Sometimes I put together photo books for vacation trips.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
L_JE, those are phenomenal. I wish I lived in Alabama so we could go photo shooting together.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... I wish I lived in Alabama ...
View Quote
Said nobody.

Ever.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Take up hd space.  Post some here.  

I have a few floating around the net on the social media of a fairly cool dude.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
License them to clients. I take practically no photos for fun now...which sucks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top