Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2021 4:07:27 PM EDT
And was it with or without insurance?

And what material? (Gold, Porcelain, Zirconia, etc)

Trying to figure out if I'm getting screwed on the price quote from my dentist.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
1100?
1200?

Insurance pays half for me.  Porcelain.

Edit;  the price I listed is the full price.  I pay half of that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
$1800 for porcelain coated steel.

No dental insurance, all out of pocket
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#3]
damn near 1200.00 American, out of pocket, gold I think
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
$0. Never had any dental work other than teeth cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Ouch!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1100?
1200?

Insurance pays half for me.  Porcelain.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My last one was free.  

Payback for sending my kid through dental school!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
$1K, porcelain, with insurance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
In my AO, with my insurance, I've paid $350-$400 out of pocket for porcelain.  IIRC that would work out to $700-$800 allowed by the insurance company.  Without digging up a statement, I suspect the Dentist bills $1000-$1200.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$0. Never had any dental work other than teeth cleaning.
View Quote

Then the correct answer is NULL, not $0.  
$0 means you had one, and it was free.

I are a SQL guy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#11]
$1200, I don't know what material.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
~$800

With insurance. About 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
$720 out of pocket, $720 insurance , so $1440 for porcelain last October
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In my AO, with my insurance, I've paid $350-$400 out of pocket for porcelain.  IIRC that would work out to $700-$800 allowed by the insurance company.  Without digging up a statement, I suspect the Dentist bills $1000-$1200.
View Quote

I'm also in OK and looking at almost $800 after insurance but it would be porcelain or zirconia (I think this dentist upgrades to zirconia).  $1500 before insurance. Feels a bit high but I don't have any of my old receipts to compare.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I are a SQL guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ouch!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch!

One I had done 3 years ago is leaking and needs to be replaced - Double ouch!  Actually I need to find a new dentist, not because of the cost as much as the changes in that practice. My original dentist retired and they hired a new guy that no one likes - including me, most of the staff left and the new hires only last a month or so. Every time I have been for a cleaning it has been a different hygienist, that's no way to run a business IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
1800 for a root canal and 900 for the crown. All because my dentist put in a bad filling and it fell out and killed the tooth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I are a SQL guy.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/technically-correct.jpg

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm also in OK and looking at almost $800 after insurance but it would be porcelain or zirconia (I think this dentist upgrades to zirconia).  $1500 before insurance. Feels a bit high but I don't have any of my old receipts to compare.
View Quote

Might be a few hundred higher than average in your locale, unless your in OKC.  BUT if you like/trust your dentist, I sure as hell wouldn't be looking around trying to find it cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Teeth
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends on what region of the country you are in.  Fees vary.

I can tell you that's pretty damn high in Oklahoma but then again it depends on your area.  Insurance fees are negotiated.  So I might charge $1000 for a crown cash price but BCBS Alabama will only let me charge $700 if I take their insurance (I'm just throwing numbers out there).

I practiced in Oklahoma for close to 7 years.

Are you getting a root canal as well?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Implants are more better. I paid about $4500 for the one I have and I’m much happier with it than I ever was with the crown I had to replace a few times before.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It depends on what region of the country you are in.  Fees vary.

I can tell you that's pretty damn high in Oklahoma but then again it depends on your area.  Insurance fees are negotiated.  So I might charge $1000 for a crown cash price but BCBS Alabama will only let me charge $700 if I take their insurance (I'm just throwing numbers out there).

I practiced in Oklahoma for close to 7 years.

Are you getting a root canal as well?
View Quote

No root canal, but it includes a D2950 core buildup for $300. The D2740 crown itself is $1200.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Zirconia is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got it yesterday

$1090 out of pocket for porcelain

not counting the root canal which was $1250
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
$655 oop for a porcelain crown with Medicare insurance that pays 50%.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Zirconia is awesome.
View Quote

Layered zirconia yes.  Can't stand full contoured zirconia.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#28]
$350-ish? Insurance covers 80% of procedures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#29]
$1k gold molar a decade ago, out of pocket
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Layered zirconia yes.  Can't stand full contoured zirconia.

View Quote

What don't you like?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Besides the cost, does your dentist have a E4D CAD/CAM? If not find one that does. That "temporary" is just bullshit for a dentist who cant afford the latest technology. Your crown can be made in minutes, fitted and your out the door in one visit.
(Dropping from too high of a cliff had me breaking two molars with old fillings)
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What don't you like?
View Quote

They're not very esthetic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#33]
$1100 for ceramic
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What don't you like?

Meh.   They're fine for posterior teeth.   For anteriors it's layered all the way though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Around 1100 for a porcelain one around 6 years or so ago. Just had latest cleaning, no cavities but some repair
work needed to correct a chipped area I had not even noticed. New dentist is totally involved and cares, big
change from my last one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Just today.

1200 cost, insurance paid over half.  My cost was 420.  porcelain
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the total came to about $1,200, insurance would only pay about $500.
I just went to the dentist office yesterday to pay them an additional $119 that the damn insurance company would not pay because a porcelain crown was put in.
It's to the point now that dental insurance is just not worth it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I go to a college dental school and the cost was $380 (they said it was basically the cost of the crown itself).  I had insurance so it was less, but that would have been the cash price.  Other doctor was $1095, wife and kids go the dental school and love it so I gave it a shot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#39]
W/ins $1070 total- root canal and porcelain crown.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Porcelain $850 I think
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Root canal and crown.. My cost 478 after insurance

ETA porcelain
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Last month I paid approx. 450.00 after insurance for a gold molar cap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Porcelain, $950.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#44]
$560. I have no idea what it's made of. My last root canal was $900. I don't have insurance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Besides the cost, does your dentist have a E4D CAD/CAM? If not find one that does. That "temporary" is just bullshit for a dentist who cant afford the latest technology. Your crown can be made in minutes, fitted and your out the door in one visit.
(Dropping from too high of a cliff had me breaking two molars with old fillings)
View Quote

I’m a dental lab technician. I own and operate my own crown and bridge laboratory. I have more than 25 years of experience in the field.

The in-office CAD/CAM has gotten better, but still not typically as good as laboratory-produced crowns. Your assumption that traditional dentists who send their crowns out to a lab ‘can’t afford the latest technology’ is pretty short sighted. In my experience, a large percentage of the crowns made by the dental office would be rejected if I sent work of that quality from my lab. But they paid $100,000+ for the CAD/CAM unit and sent their assistant to a brief course on how to use it and that crown is going in regardless if that margin is wide open. In fact, dental cements have gotten exponentially better as they are being relied on to fill the gaps in the margins.

I also tend to notice a dentist cutting more crowns when they get the machine. Maybe it’s because they have that control, or maybe it’s because the machine needs to run to pay for itself and a tooth that would be fine for a composite might now get a crown instead.

Some dentists are truly talented and they get excellent, laboratory-quality from their in office mills. I can count those offices on one hand out of dozens of offices that I have worked closely with. I can also think of at least a dozen CAD/CAM mills sitting in the back room of an office collecting dust, a piece discarded  technology the owners unplugged once the machine didn’t produce the quality they were hoping for or they realized that it really needed a talented, full time employee to run it and even then the process would take a couple of hours, a time commitment that a lot of patients couldn’t afford.

Also, for the most part, even at the best offices with that technology, the in-office mills generally only do posterior crowns where color matching isn’t as high of a priority. I have only seen one office that could produce a passable anterior crown. When I layer ceramics on a substructure (metal, zirconia or lithium disilicate) I will layer at least two different types of porcelain on them. Sometimes it’s a lot more than that, depending on the complexity of the shade.

Now, looking into the future, CAM mills are a crude, wasteful stop gap. The big technology jump in the dental field will be 3-D printers in the office. It will look like this: a dentist will prep the crown and use a digital scanner to scan the prep and also take the shade of the crown. At that point a 3-D printer that can print any color of Dental shade imaginable will be able to layer in all the complex different colors and produce a composite crown that not only mimics the durability of a natural tooth, but matches the shade better than the lab could ever accomplish. And it will take less that 15 minutes to ‘print.’ At that point I’m out of business, and will happily bid a fond farewell to my lab. It was a good run. Until then, back to the bench.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

No they aren't.  In addition to that, they are not kind to the opposing dentition and are a pain in the ass to cut off.  Several months ago, I had to replace a 4 unit posterior full contour zirconia bridge that the previous dentist felt the need to over-reduce.  It was 3-4 mm thick on average and I must have gone through a few hundred dollars worth of burs getting through it.  I told my lab tech I hope whoever did that last restoration got bit on the dick by a fire ant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I’m a dental lab technician. I own and operate my own crown and bridge laboratory. I have more than 25 years of experience in the field.

The in-office CAD/CAM has gotten better, but still not typically as good as laboratory-produced crowns. Your assumption that traditional dentists who send their crowns out to a lab ‘can’t afford the latest technology’ is pretty short sighted. In my experience, a large percentage of the crowns made by the dental office would be rejected if I sent work of that quality from my lab. But they paid $100,000+ for the CAD/CAM unit and sent their assistant to a brief course on how to use it and that crown is going in regardless if that margin is wide open. In fact, dental cements have gotten exponentially better as they are being relied on to fill the gaps in the margins.

I also tend to notice a dentist cutting more crowns when they get the machine. Maybe it’s because they have that control, or maybe it’s because the machine needs to run to pay for itself and a tooth that would be fine for a composite might now get a crown instead.

Some dentists are truly talented and they get excellent, laboratory-quality from their in office mills. I can count those offices on one hand out of dozens of offices that I have worked closely with. I can also think of at least a dozen CAD/CAM mills sitting in the back room of an office collecting dust, a piece discarded  technology the owners unplugged once the machine didn’t produce the quality they were hoping for or they realized that it really needed a talented, full time employee to run it and even then the process would take a couple of hours, a time commitment that a lot of patients couldn’t afford.

Also, for the most part, even at the best offices with that technology, the in-office mills generally only do posterior crowns where color matching isn’t as high of a priority. I have only seen one office that could produce a passable anterior crown. When I layer ceramics on a substructure (metal, zirconia or lithium disilicate) I will layer at least two different types of porcelain on them. Sometimes it’s a lot more than that, depending on the complexity of the shade.

Now, looking into the future, CAM mills are a crude, wasteful stop gap. The big technology jump in the dental field will be 3-D printers in the office. It will look like this: a dentist will prep the crown and use a digital scanner to scan the prep and also take the shade of the crown. At that point a 3-D printer that can print any color of Dental shade imaginable will be able to layer in all the complex different colors and produce a composite crown that not only mimics the durability of a natural tooth, but matches the shade better than the lab could ever accomplish. And it will take less that 15 minutes to ‘print.’ At that point I’m out of business, and will happily bid a fond farewell to my lab. It was a good run. Until then, back to the bench.
https://i.imgur.com/QMssRi4.jpg
View Quote

Things must be a lot different there in NC. My Dentist invested in the equipment, didn't just send a tech to a seminar and has no problem matching color. Unfortunately I have had the pleasurer/not pleasure of having temporary's and outsourced lab crowns. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend having an in house milled crown to anyone I know. I do agree however that the future is in 3-D printing and I'm sure that my dentist is already looking into it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#48]
$1000 for CEREC eMax.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Yesterday
$1054. Billed. $532 out of pocket Porcelain
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#50]
As a lab guy (see post above) I can attest the price varies greatly even in my area. To give you an idea, I charge the dentist $129 for an all ceramic (zirconia or lithium disilicate), $179 for layered ceramics whether it’s on a metal or ceramic substructure, and I have a flat rate of $434 for monolithic implants (includes the custom titanium abutment, crown and my model work/soft tissue replication) and $484 if I have to layer ceramics.

I’m on the cheap side for my area, but certainly not the lowest. I’m a one man lab and my lab is at my house, so my overhead is low, but I have a 3Shape scanner and design studio, so I’m still pretty broad in my materials and offerings. I’m still having to compete with large production labs who send a lot of their work overseas. It’s tough to compete with the big labs if a dentist only looks at your fee schedule.

Don’t make the mistake of looking at my prices and thinking that a dentist is ripping you off. Their overhead is insane, there payroll alone is more than I would ever want to take on as an expense. They committed almost a decade of their lives to become what they are. In my opinion, based on my limited contact with patients, they don’t make nearly enough.

I also wouldn’t make the mistake of shopping around to try to find the cheapest dentist. I would rather pay more for someone who is competent. To find out who is the best dentist in your area, call a local dental laboratory and ask the owner which dentist he goes to. Dental lab techs have seen a side of the doc and their competency that the public cannot. I’ve worked for hundreds of different dentists in my career. I would let fewer than 20 work on me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top