User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guess one can’t start a gun thread on a gun forum these days without being accused of being an ATF plant.  Maybe I should have started a tranny thread instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sticks 'n stones.

Not today Mr. ATFman.

Guess one can’t start a gun thread on a gun forum these days without being accused of being an ATF plant.  Maybe I should have started a tranny thread instead.

Ninety-five percent of the time that shibboleth is only being mindlessly parroted to demonstrate that the poster is a member of the ARFCOM cognoscenti.  Ignore it.

ETA: But to your question: IMO, any weapon that would function reliably with a milspec BCG and at least a semi-auto FCG would be acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Bring what you have - including your own ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are trying to have a well regulated militia, you should have racks of rifles and boxes of loaded mags to hand out. Can’t train them if they show up with their grand pappy’s shotgun. If you don’t have the resources to supply rifles, then setting a standardized caliber that will be supplied makes sense. Mags and caliber makes more sense but it all depends on available resources.

If you’re suddenly facing an aggressive Canadian invasion force and need to call on all able bodied citizens, you have them bring what they have and try to have a supply of every major caliber.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They have been getting by just fine in Afghanistan using 100 year old rifles in flip flops.....
View Quote

Depends what your definition of "just fine" is.  Putting up with an occupying army for decades while you wait for them to get bored and go home, and accepting that you will be crushed if you stand and fight, isn't my idea of just fine.  Also, while some of those guys are using 100 year old rifles, plenty have more modern small arms.  And RPGs.  And Chinese 107mm rockets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bring what you have - including your own ammo.
View Quote

Bring your own ammo sounds good until you realize that a man can only carry so much, and when that runs out the 20,000 round ammo fort and reloading bench he left behind in his basement won't do him much good.  Remember, the militia is legally subject to service anywhere in the US, and to a limited extent abroad if repelling invasions includes crossing into enemy territory.  You would show up with a basic load and get resupplied  from state or federal stocks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
5.56 and stanag mags.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are trying to have a well regulated militia, you should have racks of rifles and boxes of loaded mags to hand out. Can’t train them if they show up with their grand pappy’s shotgun. If you don’t have the resources to supply rifles, then setting a standardized caliber that will be supplied makes sense. Mags and caliber makes more sense but it all depends on available resources.

If you’re suddenly facing an aggressive Canadian invasion force and need to call on all able bodied citizens, you have them bring what they have and try to have a supply of every major caliber.
View Quote

The point of the militia clauses in the constitution and the militia acts passed in accordance with them was to avoid the scenario in bold by having the militia organized, trained, and equipped to a reasonable standard before an immediate threat presents itself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd say anything that takes Pmags and Glock 19 mags is pretty much standard at this point.  

Even the pink haired pussy hat crowd all have an AR and a G19.
View Quote

The only thing I have that uses g19 magazines is a Ruger PCC-9.
All my full size handguns use .45ACP mags like the military issued for many decades. Here are two that we got from the CMP

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Million Mosin Army. We'll include Enfield's, Arisaka and K98's. Maybe a Martini or two, for the cool kids. Nagant M1895 as the standard sidearm.

Special forces will have Winchester '94's. The good ones.
View Quote

I prefer Springfields,  Remingtons, and Eddystones .

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Didn’t Hamilton cover this in Federalist 29?

"The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss. It would form an annual deduction from the productive labor of the country, to an amount which, calculating upon the present numbers of the people, would not fall far short of the whole expense of the civil establishments of all the States. To attempt a thing which would abridge the mass of labor and industry to so considerable an extent, would be unwise: and the experiment, if made, could not succeed, because it would not long be endured. Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped; and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year.”
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
What’s wrong with private militias if they’re not politically active/radical, are only active during disasters (natural or otherwise) and are safely and well trained? I never understood why a citizens militia is so controversial other than the radical militias from the 90s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

An established authority is exactly what the founders had in mind when they wrote the militia clauses in Article I of the constitution.  The militia was supposed to be organized under officers appointed by the states and trained according the the discipline prescribed by Congress.  It was not supposed to be an "unorganized militia" consisting of people who owned guns but never had established leadership or collective training until it was time to fight.

The militia was meant to be an organized, integral part of our national defense, and because membership was supposed to be as close to universal (for males) as possible it would be impossible to turn against the people.  We have been robbed of the militia we are supposed to have by the sloth of state governments and the opportunism of Congress a little more than 100 years ago.
View Quote

The Feds are the ones that passed the laws that resulted in States doing away with militias.  Most States were not willing to fund both voluntarily.  Those that did ended up better off, though, when WWI came around and the States lost all of their NG, but many ended up needing to use them.  They had military forces they could use immediately, while other States had to try to reconstitute their militias.  Still, Federal conscription decimated the ranks of the militia and deprived it of its best men, and the Feds also seized State arms for the militia to equip Federal troops being raised.  Some States had decided to get the latest and had M1903 Springfields, and the Feds seized these and gave them trapdoor Springfields and a smaller number of Mosin-Nagants instead.  Of course, these days, getting the States to fund a substantial militia without a Federal mandate is unlikely; we've been so long without it.  The NGAUS has also lobbied hard against any effort to revive State militias; they are the ones that lobbied Congress to create the NG in the first place.

There are a lot of folks here who think the "constitutional militia" is a bunch of private entities or the people spontaneously organizing while armed, and at least one person who has posted here has made claims that during the colonial and revolutionary era that this was true as well, despite all evidence to the contrary.  Some people are very invested in this idea.  The closest were independently chartered militia units (at least a couple of which still exist today in New England), but these still operated under a charter granted by their respective State (which could be revoked for cause), and were subject to service to the civil authorities.  The reality is that the utility of a bunch of disparate armed rabble is pretty limited.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
One 20" bbl with a full wooden stock,  single shot .22 LR rifle with iron sights of any commonly available make and one 50 ct box of .22LR standard velocity shells, again of any commonly available make.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting and well thought out post.  A few comments:

-One of my working assumptions is that if we went brought back the militia, the NFA would be gone.  No concerns with full auto, SBRs, or suppressors in private homes.  HE at home would probably be a no go due to safe storage considerations.  M203s mounted to rifles would be good to go, but HE ammo would be issued as required.  Not that I would tax it or ban private sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting and well thought out post.  A few comments:

-One of my working assumptions is that if we went brought back the militia, the NFA would be gone.  No concerns with full auto, SBRs, or suppressors in private homes.  HE at home would probably be a no go due to safe storage considerations.  M203s mounted to rifles would be good to go, but HE ammo would be issued as required.  Not that I would tax it or ban private sales.

I think you might get more support for reestablishing State militias than getting rid of the biggest, most foundational Federal gun control laws.  I won't assume the NFA is gone in this context, but I think amendments in the spirit of a militia project could pass in conjunction with it.

Issued arms would not present any NFA issues since ownership is by the State, and the persons possessing the arms would be authorized to do so.  But to allow them to be kept after service, or for the public to buy much of anything surplus more modern than a Garand would require some changes.  At least for issued arms, the other option (that might find more appeal) is for the weapons to be semi-auto but have a DIAS issued for actual service.

Crew-served weapons, HE, heavy weapons, and other non-personal equipment would be in armories and caches.  I think you want some of that stuff (man-portable, anyways) in caches in case of internal conflict where the Feds might try to seize armories, or there is some occupying force that needs to be engaged and takes the armories (really only a significant threat in our colonies in Pacific Asia; the colonies should have militias as well).

Quoted:
-In my system the National Guard in it's present form would be gone, with the personnel and equipment rolled into the first tier militia units.  After all, the NG is supposed to be the organized militia.  The current structure of the National Guard is arguably unconstitutional.

The National Guard isn't a militia at all, despite the wording in the law.  It lacks the character and composition of a militia, and also may be Federalized for pretty much any purpose and the Feds have the ultimate say in who its officers are.  The National Guard is a dual State-Federal reserve army.  The concept was for it to be the national reserve force to augment the Regular Army when needed, while still being able to perform State duties traditionally performed by militias.  This replaced the Volunteer System used to augment the Army in wartime, which posed issues throughout its existence, through the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection.  The fact that it's a reserve army is how the Feds get around the constitutional limitations on the use of the militia and the protections of State authority in the Constitution.  The militia is a separate entity, and the majority of States have one, but they are all very small (the all-volunteer nature combined with the far great prestige of the Federal military is a huge part of why; State's willingness to fund larger forces is another big reason for this) and most are either mostly or entirely unarmed, and only a handful have components with any type of combat-oriented mission (most notably Alaska, which has its militia complete armed and even issues them machine guns for training and service; I've seen 1919s, M-60s, and M-2s in photos of them training).  Current Federal law prohibits the President from calling the State militia into Federal service for any of the three reasons listed in the Constitution (which requires Congressional authorization by law for the same).

Unless the Constitution is amended to provide a mechanism by which militia units can be Federalized temporarily into the equivalent of the old Volunteer units as part of a wartime/emergency army, something like the National Guard would still need to exist.  A national reserve force is still needed, especially with the size of the Regular Army today.

Quoted:
-I'm not sure I would agree entirely with conscription by lottery.  My understanding of the intent for the militia of the United States was that every capable adult male would serve.  The concept of the militia as a bulwark against tyranny which cannot be turned against the people relies on the principle that the militia IS the people.  The more you limit membership, either by keeping people out or not requiring them to join, the more you erode that principle.

Yes, the concept was universal obligation, where all able-bodied male citizens (and some other residents) within the specified age ranges (16-18 on the low end, usually, and 45-80 on the high end, depending on the State and period, including more recent periods) without a legitimate exemption were required to serve.  The last State to practice and enforce this was South Carolina, which practiced it through the Civil War and had it ended in the process of rejoining the Union.  It was already the last by the time of the secession crisis.  In earlier periods, enforcement was nearly universal, but the decline of the militia eroded this concept a lot in practice.

Such universal obligation works in smaller populations (and may even be necessary with small enough populations).  The issue that makes it impractical today is our large population, even taking into account the increasing percentage that are no longer able-bodied.  Universal obligation would result in possibly tens of millions of militiamen.  There is no way the money will be there to arm, equip, and train that many people.  No State would be willing or able to fund that, even with the reduced personnel costs associated with militias using certain models (like the Swiss one, which made personnel costs a fraction of what our Federal military incurs), and it's way too much for the Feds, too, for any significant length of time.  It's also not necessary to have that many militiamen for the militia to be effective in its missions.

If true universal obligation is impractical, which it is, then we have to look at other options, and the next best is selection and volunteering, with everything else filled in by the lottery, with universal male obligation still being the case by law in the sense that all are potentially liable to serve, but with only a percentage actually being required to do so in practice, with the rest still subject to conscription in an emergency (the "unorganized militia").

I get the issue with what the Founders called "select militia", but I think a lottery would help preserve the popular character of the militia, since it would be random, and the militia would still represent an array of people from different towns and cities, different region, different classes or walks of life, etc.

In terms of size, I would say the combat arms of the land component of the first two militia tiers as described above should be numerically at least three times the size of the entire State NG and a share of the purely Federal land forces (regular and reserve) proportional to the proportion of the State's population to the national population.  Combat support and service and support units would be numerically whatever is necessary to support the combat arms.  3rd tier's size would be dependent upon the sizes of the other two tiers, since they feed it as members age.  You want a size that can be useful as a deterrent to Federal usurpation or tyranny, as well as to fight it, while still remaining reasonable.

Air component should be sized relative to the other components, but costs might well limit its size and capability to where it's smaller than ideal.  The Rhodesian Air Force, while a regular air force, does provide some example of how a small air force with limited funds and ability to buy things it needs can get by and be effective for at least some purposes.

The majority of States would have a need for, and be required to have, a naval militia.  Emphasis on conscription and recruitment should be mariners, discharged naval personnel, and others with relevant skills and experience, and could have a Marine sub-component.  Mariners and the like not conscripted would be enrolled in a naval unorganized militia, and pilots, aviation mechanics, and the like could probably be put into an air version.  The size of the naval component would be dependent upon the needs of each State due to the variance in coastlines, navigable rivers, etc., but it would need to be enough to be useful.  Authorization to possess warships would need to be granted, and maybe some clarification that any combatant considered a "boat" (like a missile boat or gunboat), or any auxiliary or service vessel, would not be treated as a warship requiring authorization from Congress.

4th and 5th tiers combined, the "unorganized", would constitute the entirety of the rest of the able-bodied male fighting-age citizen population (plus some others).  This is the pool from which more men could be drawn in an emergency.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just copy pasta the Israeli system and call it a day.
View Quote

Israelis don't use a militia system.

The Cold War era Swiss system would be much better to emulate.  George Washington tried to get Congress to emulate an earlier form of it (specific to the Canton of Bern), but Congress balked and only went so far as the militia act from the 1790s of which many of us are aware.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Didn’t Hamilton cover this in Federalist 29?

"The project of disciplining all the militia of the United States is as futile as it would be injurious, if it were capable of being carried into execution. A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss. It would form an annual deduction from the productive labor of the country, to an amount which, calculating upon the present numbers of the people, would not fall far short of the whole expense of the civil establishments of all the States. To attempt a thing which would abridge the mass of labor and industry to so considerable an extent, would be unwise: and the experiment, if made, could not succeed, because it would not long be endured. Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped; and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year.”
View Quote

His view was not universal, nor necessarily correct.  Some parts of it are more relevant today, particularly the inability to afford to discipline the entire male populace.  It's just not feasible now.  It would have been, then, but definitely is not today.

However, his view also does not preclude disciplining a portion of the population of sufficient size to be useful, while only requiring the people at large to be properly armed and equipped.

It should be noted that Hamilton was hostile to the notion of militias, especially under State control.  If he had gotten his way, there would have been no more militia and there might not even have been anymore States, with provinces based on new borders created instead.  He was a proponent of a highly centralized government, but preferred what the Constitutional Convention approved considerably over the status quo under the Articles of Confederation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, they should be standardized up to a point, instead of creating a logistical nightmare, and have the desired capabilities for service weapons.  A militia should actually be militarily useful; constituting it in a manner sure to be a clusterfuck kinda goes counter to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the government provides the guns, they should be standardized and rules equally enforced.  When we provide our own, fuck off with your rules.

No, they should be standardized up to a point, instead of creating a logistical nightmare, and have the desired capabilities for service weapons.  A militia should actually be militarily useful; constituting it in a manner sure to be a clusterfuck kinda goes counter to that.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]
There is some great conversation here about the militia and national guard.

Some historical articles:

How the British Gun Control Program Precipitated the American Revolution

B. The Independent Militia Arise
Americans no longer recognized the royal governors as the
legitimate commanders-in-chief of the militia.116 As noted above,
Worcester County, Massachusetts, and the Massachusetts
Provincial Congress had acted first, in September 1774, by
terminating the commissions of all royally-appointed militia
officers and providing officers chosen by the people.117

...So without formal legal authorization, Americans began to
form independent militia, outside the traditional chain of
command of the royal governors. In Virginia, George Washington
and George Mason organized the Fairfax Independent Militia
Company.123 Other independent militia embodied in Virginia
along the same model.124 The volunteer militiamen pledged that
?we will, each of us, constantly keep by us? a firelock, ?six pounds
of Gunpowder [and] twenty pounds of Lead.?125

...Roman history, argued
Mason, showed that freedom could not be maintained if the
government relied on mercenaries.131 Rather, the people must be
taught ?the use of arms and discipline? so they can ?act in
defence of their invaded liberty.?132

John Adams firmly defended the newly constituted
Massachusetts militia:
?The new-fangled militia,? as the specious Massachusettensis135
calls it, is such a militia as he never saw. They
are commanded through the province, not by men who
procured their commissions from a governor as a reward for
making themselves pimps to his tools, and by discovering a
hatred of the people but by gentlemen whose estates, abilities
and benevolence have rendered them the delight of the soldiers
. . . . [I]n a land war, this continent might defend itself against
all the world.136
View Quote

The American Militia and the Origin of Conscription: A Reassessment

The Swiss militia have long been a model, but the Finnish militia are also interesting to look at.  The initial concept for the IDF was based off the Swiss militia, but altered to cope with the immediate security needs that Israeli faces.  One key component was teaching school kids hand-to-hand fighting (i.e. Krav Maga).  That worked big time to build fighting spirit.  The Singapore army is also worth looking at.  The Israeli's gave Singapore substantial assistance in setting their military up

Singapore had to be able to defend itself...But, truth be told, the government was not confident of getting enough volunteers,especially as the majority Chinese population had a cultural aversion to service in the military... [the] only viable solution for Singapore was to build a citizen army of conscripts, trained and led by a small regular force.

To this end, it proposed the establishment of an “Officer Training School” to produce this corps of professional leaders. Citizen-soldiers would form the backbone of the citizen army, so that in an emergency, the entire nation could be mobilised under arms.
View Quote

I'm thinking a key component would be high school education
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Swiss militia have long been a model, but the Finnish militia are also interesting to look at.  The initial concept for the IDF was based off the Swiss militia, but altered to cope with the immediate security needs that Israeli faces.  One key component was teaching school kids hand-to-hand fighting (i.e. Krav Maga).  That worked big time to build fighting spirit.  The Singapore army is also worth looking at.  The Israeli's gave Singapore substantial assistance in setting their military up

View All Quotes
Quoted:

B. The Independent Militia Arise
Americans no longer recognized the royal governors as the
legitimate commanders-in-chief of the militia.116 As noted above,
Worcester County, Massachusetts, and the Massachusetts
Provincial Congress had acted first, in September 1774, by
terminating the commissions of all royally-appointed militia
officers and providing officers chosen by the people.117

...So without formal legal authorization, Americans began to
form independent militia, outside the traditional chain of
command of the royal governors. In Virginia, George Washington
and George Mason organized the Fairfax Independent Militia
Company.123 Other independent militia embodied in Virginia
along the same model.124 The volunteer militiamen pledged that
?we will, each of us, constantly keep by us? a firelock, ?six pounds
of Gunpowder [and] twenty pounds of Lead.?125

...Roman history, argued
Mason, showed that freedom could not be maintained if the
government relied on mercenaries.131 Rather, the people must be
taught ?the use of arms and discipline? so they can ?act in
defence of their invaded liberty.?132

John Adams firmly defended the newly constituted
Massachusetts militia:
?The new-fangled militia,? as the specious Massachusettensis135
calls it, is such a militia as he never saw. They
are commanded through the province, not by men who
procured their commissions from a governor as a reward for
making themselves pimps to his tools, and by discovering a
hatred of the people but by gentlemen whose estates, abilities
and benevolence have rendered them the delight of the soldiers
. . . . [I]n a land war, this continent might defend itself against
all the world.136

Singapore had to be able to defend itself...But, truth be told, the government was not confident of getting enough volunteers,especially as the majority Chinese population had a cultural aversion to service in the military... [the] only viable solution for Singapore was to build a citizen army of conscripts, trained and led by a small regular force.

To this end, it proposed the establishment of an “Officer Training School” to produce this corps of professional leaders. Citizen-soldiers would form the backbone of the citizen army, so that in an emergency, the entire nation could be mobilised under arms.

Australia's militia, which lasted into the Cold War era, also involved instructing boys starting at age 12 as part of the preparatory training for militia service once conscripted into it, that way by the time they were of age, they'd already have a good portion of their training complete.  The Australian units that fought in Europe and the Near East during WWI were products of the Australian militia system.  They essentially came from its ranks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top