Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 1:36:05 PM EDT

My washing machine is not working right so I am in the market for a new one.  I see Amana, Whirlpool, Maytag and I am sure others but what brand have you guys had good luck with?  Something cheap, top loading and with no frills.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always had good luck with the cheapest thing at Menards.
All the current ones have the water sensing thing and i hate them.
If i needed a replacement today.
It would be used from marketplace.

Current thing i have currently $449 on sale, pretty sure i paid $349 about 3 years ago.
This one's not so bad but it takes almost a full hour to wash a load. Because of the water sensing crap. Even if you select "deep water wash" it still takes forever.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My washing machine is not working right so I am in the market for a new one.  I see Amana, Whirlpool, Maytag and I am sure others but what brand have you guys had good luck with?  Something cheap, top loading and with no frills.
View Quote

Why not fix it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I am two weeks into waiting for my Speedqueen set.

My Maytag is limping along.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not fix it?
View Quote
Parts are harder to get than a new washer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not fix it?

Some, I'm sure.  I should have said TRY to fix it.  I guess I've been lucky, with my old Kenmore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]

I got it used from a friend back in 2003.  I can't find a model # on it and so far haven't had luck finding parts.  I will look some more but leaning to just getting a new one.  So this is at least 20 years old as my friend had it for a few years at least.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Roper to use while I was waiting for my Maytag to be repaired - several times. Once the Maytag repair costs were more than the cost of the machine they stopped fixing it. I put the roper back in and used it for another 10 years or so. I have a whirlpool now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#8]
We bought a Maytag Commercial top load model several years ago. 10yr tub warranty, 1 year on motor. Broke down after 14 months.
Started during research on washers and dryers. All the manufacturers have lowered their warranties to the minimum amounts.
Why? Because they are all made in China. Either made directly in China or assembled in the USA of Chinese parts.

So I would recommend either a used model from an estate sale or buy a cheap disposable Roper. Try and find one that
is mechanical with no electronics and not High Efficiency. I hate how the new HE washers take forever to complete a wash cycle.
Older mechanical units with no electronics could run a load in about 20 minutes.

Our next washer will be a Speed Queen. But I hear the manufacturer is slowly re-engineering these also.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You said cheap! For years the lowest priced GE has served many people well, and often last longer than high efficiency models. They are definitely easier to service.
ETA: For what it's worth, she has been beating on our Fisher Paykel for 10 years. Not one issue, even though she can make it dance 10 feet away some how.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am two weeks into waiting for my Speedqueen set.

My Maytag is limping along.
View Quote

In my best Scottish accent "There can be only one"
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a speed queen as well.

Wife complains about it, but cannot articulate why. I told her I don't care and that she can deal with it.

They are built like tanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I got it used from a friend back in 2003.  I can't find a model # on it and so far haven't had luck finding parts.  I will look some more but leaning to just getting a new one.  So this is at least 20 years old as my friend had it for a few years at least.
View Quote

I bought a used one for the rental 10 yrs ago for $50 and it’s still running.  See if a neighbor or coworker is upgrading or moving. FB marketplace, OfferUp, etc
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Roper appliances are made by Whirlpool. I have a Roper washer and dryer that I bought in 2007 that are still going strong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top