Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 9:34:32 PM EDT
INFERI - Thy Menacing Gaze | Guitar Playthrough

Riffs + solo sections from:
2:45 - 3:35

Tabs:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

POST UP WHAT YOU ARE WORKING ON! Let's see what you are all practicing, maybe we can motivate one another or help if you are having a hard time with a section.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A few sections in here... Have it on Kindle so it won't screeenshot.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently trying to learn/cover all the parts of Torn Between by As I Lay Dying.

230 bpm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhc_JvxK61g

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Working an odd variety of things:
Classical Gas
Day Tripper
Bell Bottom Blues & Layla
The Addams Family theme song.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Classical Gas
Day Tripper
View Quote
Lol The Addams Family theme is damn catchy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got Boston’s; More Than a Feeling down the other day....
I’m slow.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Classical Gas
Day Tripper

Find myself snapping my fingers for hours afterwards.
It's ultra simple, except when you try to put it all together in tempo. Big leap from lowest notes to 9th fret 1/2/3rd string.

But the tune is an earworm.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a beautiful piece thats completely playable at slower speeds so you can work up to full speed as you advance.  The opening riff is a great flexibilty exercise for us arthritic types. Also because Guthrie Trapp and telecaster

Guthrie Trapp Pick Peace with Tab Guitar Lesson
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a beautiful piece thats completely playable at slower speeds so you can work up to full speed as you advance.  The opening riff is a great flexibilty exercise for us arthritic types. Also because Guthrie Trapp and telecaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QlurjexK4I
View Quote
That is a nice piece of music. I don't like the little grace note 3ph2ph0, but otherwise nice. that 2-6 stretch isn't too bad but you could always pick that 6 note up a string lower if you are ok with string skipping.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a nice piece of music. I don't like the little grace note 3ph2ph0, but otherwise nice. that 2-6 stretch isn't too bad but you could always pick that 6 note up a string lower if you are ok with string skipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QlurjexK4I

link to original version:

https://open.spotify.com/track/6l8IpQiRIhFdpJnVwpSCJE?si=qN2Z4nljR7mtRXOOFd0xkw&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it, that I took a musical vow a few years ago to spend the rest of my time playing (after decades of cover band and working for someone else) to only play what I write. Nothing else. If I picked up a guitar, I would write. If I couldn't write, I'd put it down.

Silly? I dunno, but it's been fun. But, the weird thing is after so long of mimicking others, to now be 100% responsible for the quality of what comes out (not just playing but how it's fitting in the song, and how simple/complex, the whole arrangements, etc) is a mega challenge for me. The really hard part is trying to stay fresh and avoid doing the same thing over and over. And, then, trying to develop my own style so that I sound like me.

Longwinded way of saying that what I end up working on and striving for pretty much at any given time is a solo parts to fit into the latest song I'm doing. Sometimes I outsmart myself and it's way more technical or creative than I can get out of my head and onto the fretboard, but I'm lucky in that I am a sing-songy, style player even in my head...so I'm usually thinking more Gilmour than Malmsteen.

Latest one I just got done, for reference (and I left some good ideas on the editing room floor because I flubbed the fuck out of the solos trying to lay them down, lol). But, I'm pretty happy with the result. It's mostly done on a Tele baritone, with a few parts that were too high to reach.

https://craiggibson.bandcamp.com/track/bluer-than-blue-should-be
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
2 Months into the journey and I am mostly "improvising" to backing tracks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Help on the Way.  The lick in the verse is killing me.  I really need to work on my pinky strength.
Grateful Dead - Help On The Way / Slipknot! / Franklin's Tower (Washington, DC 6/14/91)
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#14]
...And Justice for All.  Man I'm having fun with this one. Especially the solo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I've sort of gone full circle so to speak. When I was a teen in the early 70's I was into CSN&Y. Now thanks to YouTube and alternate tunings I can do a fairly decent rendition of most of their works. Currently trying to get Suite Judy Blue Eyes down. And on a very small scale like Swingset I'm dipping my toes into my own stuff which mostly comes from finding different patterns in alternate tunings and how they interact with each other. That's just the stuff I do for fun.

And I'm also learning a lot of contemporary Christian music too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Just started Aqualung by Jethro Tull. I got a new fuzz pedal and wanted to try that song. Unfortunately I am a slow learner.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...And Justice for All.  Man I'm having fun with this one. Especially the solo.
View Quote

I seem to be always circling back around to this and other songs on same album when I need a break from more blues oriented stuff. Besides, my HH double cut needs love too..
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Some Malcolm Young rhythm stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I seem to be always circling back around to this and other songs on same album when I need a break from more blues oriented stuff. Besides, my HH double cut needs love too..
View Quote
I started butchering Dyer's Eve again. That will wear out your picking arm.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ibanez has this shielded saddle bridge which makes Metallica rhythms pleasant...(stock pic)

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Average White Band - Pick Up The Pieces
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top