Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2019 1:22:20 PM EDT
Hope this thing is half as good as all the hype surrounding it...

Currently its still just sitting in my car, it just got delivered to work.  Hope to get to try it out soon.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't had a Helix or similar in the past, I recommend you get a pack or two of presets from these guys:

https://www.glenndelaune.com/helix-patches.htm  
(probably pick from something in the first couple or rows under the individual presets area - I think he has it sorted newest to oldest, and some of the older stuff won't have snapshots, and after using presets with snapshots, you'll want to use them)

https://fremenpresets.com/downloads/fremen-helix-2-30-2-50-update-pack/
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking forward to hearing what you think.

I use mine to come up with song ideas, and to noodle around exclusively in my studio. It's great for finding a tone, and getting ideas down quickly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you haven't had a Helix or similar in the past, I recommend you get a pack or two of presets from these guys:

https://www.glenndelaune.com/helix-patches.htm  
(probably pick from something in the first couple or rows under the individual presets area - I think he has it sorted newest to oldest, and some of the older stuff won't have snapshots, and after using presets with snapshots, you'll want to use them)

https://fremenpresets.com/downloads/fremen-helix-2-30-2-50-update-pack/
View Quote
Thanks I will check them out.  I played around with a Twin Reverb model last night.  It's good but something is missing.  With the shear array of options and settings I could easily be something I just don't know yet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the SpiderV 120 when it first came out. It is a fantastic acoustic rig but is really lacking in other areas IMHO. It is the only amp that has tamed my Taylor T5Z and actually made it a usable versatile guitar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's as good as you are. Meaning, if you take the time to flush out the tones that you're after, it's all that and a bag of nuts.

If you cycle through the presets and don't utilize it's ability to shape sounds and output? Well, it's probably over-hyped.

The high end modelers take much more work than a normal guitar setup, but holy fuck they're worth it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
What guitar (or type, active humbucker, etc) are you primarily using it with?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lately it's been a HSS Strat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Perfect for getting acquainted with all the things!
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll admit, I've been tempted by Helix or Kemper profiler floor model. Frankly, after 40 years of playing guitar, I can't actually say that I've played a note worth $1500.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Helix is the best.  I loved it so much I bought an HX Stomp too.

Not sure what your style is, but the Fullerton amp
In the new update is awesome for a tweed.

www.alex.guitars has some amazing presets (sort of centered around newer worship stuff, but can show you what it’s capable of!)
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Took it to band practice with a Twin Reverb model set up and had a terrible time cutting through.  Previously when I had a real Twin it cut through easily.  My brothers 22Watt Deluxe reverb was stomping all over me and it was only set on 2...

I had to really crank the mids to cut through.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll admit, I've been tempted by Helix or Kemper profiler floor model. Frankly, after 40 years of playing guitar, I can't actually say that I've played a note worth $1500.
View Quote
Do what I did and get a DigiTech RP360 or RP360XP and the extension pedal with either.  Less than $150 if you go used and sounds outstanding.  The effects are very representative of what they are supposed to be and I get some really good tube amp modeling.  I will likely move up to a Line 6 Firehawk at some point (saw one here used for $299 the other day on CLIST).  At least look at the RP360 on YT as it's nothing like the cheap DT pedals that preceded it. Built more like the older DT pedals that were all metal but with PC interface that really makes it easy to adjust tones. Once you get a handle on the PC interface, making small adjustments directly at the pedal is easy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased some patches from https://www.glenndelaune.com/helix-patches.htm

Damn impressed!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats, you'll have fun with it. I still have my Helix Rack and HX Stomp. I don't use the Helix in my band anymore, though. Had a chance to try out a Boogie Mark V 35 and immediately decided to go back to tubes. It's perfect for the music we play and frankly wasn't using the Helix to its full potential in the band. So it'll serve me better at home where I can experiment with it more often.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I am using a Helix.. love it.  Also bought an HX Stomp. Getting KILLER sounds. It is replacing my Marshalls.  I am tired of lugging around 4x12's and two heads.

The Helix system and ANY modeling amp take some getting used to.  The best person to judge how they sound is NOT the guitarist...but the soundman.  Modelers are creating the equivalent of a cabinet that is mic'd....it is different than standing in front of a 4x12" cab loaded with Celestions that are being overdriven.  The sound of a speaker breaking up and the air movement is an awesome part of being on a live stage.

I got mine due to travelling.  I wanted something light and easy.  I had several conversations with Billy Sheehan, Steve Mann (Michael Schenker Group), Vinny Burns (Dare) etc who all use modelers.  More and more are converting to these types units and dumping their amps.

Just the weight and size reduction is a huge benefit.  The ability to add tailored impulse responses (recreations of sounds of different cabinets) as well as having literally hundreds of effects at your fingertips is incredible.  My set up now is a HX Stomp for travel / hotel with a Mission Engineering expression pedal or the full blown Helix.  I use 2 Head Rush FRFR108 cabs and also run directly into the board.  Sound is amazing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had a Helix Rack for a few years now...3 or 4 years, can't remember exactly. It was still a fairly  new thing when I got it. It running through my Peavey  Classic 50/50 and into a pair of 4x12s (Marshall  
or Mesa depending on my mood) was my main rig for a long time. I only recently  went back to tubes for my main rig, a Boogie Mark V 35. Although I do plan on eventually integrating the Helix Rack with the Mark and a Revv Generator 7-40 that I have on order.

I also have a Stomp and it's what I use in the truck. Its capable of much more than what I use it for, but it's the best headphone amp I've ever owned.

All that said, if Neural DSP's new piece of hardware is what I think it is, I may end up getting one of those. From one of the tease photos, seems to be in between the HX FX and the Helix, as far as size goes. And in case you've never heard of Neural DSP, they have pretty much the best amp models that you can get. Period. Problem is, they've always been in plugin form. They're supposed to be unveiling it tomorrow. If it's what I think it is, it may take the place of my HX Stomp.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally got myself settled in with my Firehawk FX.  No 3rd party downloads for it which is how I'm guessing they hit the lower price point but you can choose a couple of mics/positions and early reflection %. I've been able to find some pretty good patches that are "starting points" on the Line 6 cloud. Really a nice alternative to Helix at the $275 to $300 mark used. I managed to get one in mint condition, I got the impression the seller was intimidated by the tech and never ended up using it a second time.  Using an Alto TX210 which really does the trick. I'm always switching genres to play with the kids so it gives me flexibility of going from metal to post-rock on the fly.  I don't think I'll ever use half of what it offers. Did find I still need a ghetto board under it to reliably engage the toe-down switch on the exp pedal since my music room is carpeted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top