Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 8:51:15 AM EDT
It's getting time to start looking at web content filtering for internet devices. I have played around with Untangle a bit but the company is sort of phasing out good home use packages for the firewall utm software.

I would like something that is a bit more advanced than a simple DNS filter. I think a proxy or cloud based proxy service would be the most effective here. However, I can't seem to find anything that isn't "contact our international sales team for a quote" or something that isn't geared towards an entire school district.  

What are people using at home?  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Palo Alto and Fortinet both have lower end models that are built for small environments that can be had for a few hundred dollars but good luck getting one anytime soon.  The supply chain is in complete disaster at the moment so getting your hands on one of them is going to take, at best, 90 days to ship.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Palo Alto and Fortinet both have lower end models that are built for small environments that can be had for a few hundred dollars but good luck getting one anytime soon.  The supply chain is in complete disaster at the moment so getting your hands on one of them is going to take, at best, 90 days to ship.
View Quote

I don't need hardware.  The fortinet FG-VM00 vm appliance looks interesting. But hard to tell what the annual license costs. Probably a lot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone familiar with Sensei (Zenarmor)?

https://www.sunnyvalley.io/
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My work used to use a plugin for squid called smartfilter, wonder if it exists anymore.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
OPNSense has content filter via squid proxy with a free categorization list

https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/how-tos/proxywebfilter.html

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
T-Mobile family or circle work great for us. Good filtering and ability to enable device VPN, on/off times, and ability to limit devices on your local network. It filters by Mac so any new device can be blocked from joining. You know exactly what is on your network
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top