Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2023 2:17:49 PM EDT
It is airing on HBO and it hasn't aged well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Party on, Wayne!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tia Carrere.  

Don't care about the rest of the movie.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Fun fact: Aurora, IL looks NOTHING like the movie!

ETA: It is a place you dont really want to be.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it hasn't. At one time in my youth my father and I could damn near quote the entire movie. A ton of movies from the 80's and early 90's I enjoyed are almost unwatchable to me anymore.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No it hasn't. At one time in my youth my father and I could damn near quote the entire movie. A ton of movies from the 80's and early 90's I enjoyed are almost unwatchable to me anymore.
View Quote

Austin Powers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fill me in...why?

I think its still fun to watch.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think I've watched it since then...
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Austin Powers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Austin Powers.

That's another one.
Doesn't even have to be comedies, one I really liked as a kid was Maximum Overdrive. Found it some years back, sat down excited to see it again and I had to force myself to make it to the end.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fill me in...why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fill me in...why?

I dunno, just don't find it funny anymore. I got older, my tastes have changed, I can't put my finger on it exactly.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fill me in...why?

View Quote

It was fun if you watched SNL with Myers and Carvey in the 90s but the gags just didn't stand the test of time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#11]
They’ve stood the test of time about as well as Billy Madison and Tommy Boy but I still can watch them every once in a while and enjoy their goofiness
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Gator Aid is Better
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems to me a lot of the jokes were based in immaturity. I was a kid when I saw most of these movies. Havent seen them in over 15 years, now I'm 31 and only a little more mature. I'm no wokester, but some of the insensitive stuff I dont laugh at anymore because it aint real funny. Its ok though, be a fucking adult about it.

ETA: responding to OP and Bigtwin.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's another one.
Doesn't even have to be comedies, one I really liked as a kid was Maximum Overdrive. Found it some years back, sat down excited to see it again and I had to force myself to make it to the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Austin Powers.

That's another one.

Quit ruining your adolescent days already ...
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#17]
You have to surround yourself with people who watch those movies.

By yourself, you might chuckle a little but without people to share the jokes with, the movies get dull.

They were awesome at the time and subsequent years because everyone saw them and you could catch people regularly quoting the movies.

Now, if you said something like "Hi, I'm in Delaware" if someone brought up Delaware they would look at you confused.

Another favorite quote of mine is "Stop looking at me, Swan!" but rarely does anyone pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Austin Powers.

That's another one.

You ain't kidding, I'd rather remember them fondly than be disappointed seeing them again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]
it's fucking hilarious
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You have to surround yourself with people who watch those movies.

By yourself, you might chuckle a little but without people to share the jokes with, the movies get dull.

They were awesome at the time and subsequent years because everyone saw them and you could catch people regularly quoting the movies.

Now, if you said something like "Hi, I'm in Delaware" if someone brought up Delaware they would look at you confused.
View Quote

Nah, we'll sometimes down and watch an older movie and all think "ooooh, not as funny as it used to be.:

Some of it still is though. I hate watching older movies with my younger sister, she's woke. You can see the discomfort on her face at some of the jokes. She'll squirm and say "omg, this is really awkward." Meanwhile Dad and I are chuckling.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Party on, Wayne!
View Quote

Party on Garth
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Austin Powers.
View Quote

Wrong.  Austin Powers is still hilarious.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was retarded when it was made. That’s why it’s fun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I dunno, just don't find it funny anymore. I got older, my tastes have changed, I can't put my finger on it exactly.
View Quote

Well the movie didn’t change. Would it be you didn’t age well?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#26]
It was a great movie back in the day when I could relate to the comedy.
Now it's a time capsule.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife says I've aged just fine!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I think it's almost more relevant now with the rise of Youtubers. Those guys were Youtubers before Youtube.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Why is it that if a man kills another man in battle, it's called heroic, yet if he kills a man in the heat of passion, it's called murder?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Asphinctersayswhat
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tia Carrere.  

Don't care about the rest of the movie.
View Quote

Schwing!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Asphinctersayswhat
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think it's almost more relevant now with the rise of Youtubers. Those guys were Youtubers before Youtube.
View Quote

Bob and Doug did it first! Hosers!

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]
OP blows goats.  I have proof.

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wayne’s world

Party time
View Quote

Excellent
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Line stolen from Ghostbusters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could see that, but kind of the opposite.  So many are doing that now as their real lives they kind of stole its thunder.

What about movies/shows made from time periods they occured before?  
Dazed and Confused, Stoned Age, The Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, Stranger Things, etc.

- I mean ones that aren't autobiographical or reenacting events or lives (Blackhawk Down, Lords of Dogtown, Fear and Loathing in LV, etc).

Stranger Things is a bit to recent to really tell but the rest have held up surprisingly well.  Even Dazed and Confused and I wasn't that impressed when it was new.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Wayne:  "Garth, marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries."

Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
If you're going to spew, spew into this...
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey mister donut man who's gonna kill ya

I don't know but they better not

OH NOOOOOOO I'M NOT HAPPY OHHHH NOOOOOOO

REEE REE REE REEE REEE REE REE
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I could see that, but kind of the opposite.  So many are doing that now as their real lives they kind of stole its thunder.

Dazed and Confused, Stoned Age, The Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, Stranger Things, etc.

- I mean ones that aren't autobiographical or reenacting events or lives (Blackhawk Down, Lords of Dogtown, Fear and Loathing in LV, etc).

Stranger Things is a bit to recent to really tell but the rest have held up surprisingly well.  Even Dazed and Confused and I wasn't that impressed when it was new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

stoned age was another great movie
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#43]
It’s not that the movie hasn’t aged well, its just that you’ve aged and matured.  

Loved Wayne’s World when I was a teenager.  But, I was the demographic this was really aimed at.  Used to regard the ‘90s as that time when SNL was funny.  Wonder if the only thing that changed was me and everyone thinks comedy’s in their teen years were prime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top