Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2019 2:27:00 PM EDT
Is this cadet an alternative to high school? After graduation, what rank do these kids hold? Anyone here go this route?

Did you like the movie?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
i loved it when i was a kid
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It was beautiful man!
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was beautiful man!
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Liked that movie when I was younger, seems it been on cable often recently.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Filmed at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne PA. It was all male grades 6-12 plus a junior college. Cadets earn rank as they age and show leadership. Many attend the JC on scholorships for Army ROTC and roll into military careers. Went co-ed in the mid 90's iirc, sure its been all down hill since
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
They hold No true military rank at all.

They couldn't order a PFC to do squat...
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Filmed at Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne PA. It was all male grades 6-12 plus a junior college. Cadets earn rank as they age and show leadership. Many attend the JC on scholorships for Army ROTC and roll into military careers. Went co-ed in the mid 90's iirc, sure its been all down hill since
View Quote
My parents almost sent me there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If i remember correctly, my friend that went to and completed NMMI went in as a PFC, it was equivalent to JROTC.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The father's talk with his son at the gate was good.

"He's got you brainwashed into thinking dying for a noble cause or honor is great. Dying ain't but one thing and that is bad."
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this cadet an alternative to high school? After graduation, what rank do these kids hold? Anyone here go this route?

Did you like the movie?
View Quote
It's a classic...but yeah, no.  There is no military status conveyed...but it has always served as a useful threat for parents.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you do?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]
My Brother-in-law was an extra in that movie as he went to Valley Forge at the time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Loved it back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Why did school have an m60, and why couldnt I go to that school?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did you like the movie?
View Quote

I went there from 12-18, and lived in that building .

Yes it’s high school. Two year college too. The ranks are play unless doing the rotc in college which is accelerated.

Only 5% go .mil- it’s a college prep school.  Not sure about back then.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#17]
IIRC, the school ‘Allowed’ the ‘Local National Guard Unit’ to store functional weapons in the Armory.

As someone who served in both Reserves and NG, I gotta call BS. Weapons won’t ever be stored that way. Ever.

Ever.

Nor would ammunition and GRENADES be kept on hand.

EVER.

My Reserve Center in Michigan handled six or seven different Reserve Units. Sometimes we’d share the building with MP’s, a Maint. Bttn, or a Dental Unit depending on the drill schedule. All the units kept their weapons in the one massively fortified and alarm equipped armory. No ammo kept their EVER. None.

EVER.

When we needed ammunition for a qualification or FTX, it was tricked in from Camp Custer and dropped off that morning.

When I was in the ANG (Florida), the building housed both Army Reserve and NG unit’s, again, all weapons in one poured, reinforced, heavily alarmed concrete vault. No ammunition. When we needed ammunition or we were deploying, we drove to Homestead and were issued ammunition there (not personally issued to individuals, our S-3 signed and took delivery of crated ammunition).

As for ‘rank’ going to a military high school...lol. Might get you E2 at the start of Basic. Maybe.  College Reservists taking ROTC got ‘Cadet’ rank at our Army Reserve Unit, same as a West Point Junior who came to drills with us one summer. Treated the same as a Warrant Officer. Woe to the Cadet who tried to pull rank on a senior NCO. We were an MI Unit, lotta Master Sergeants and SFC’s floating around.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If i remember correctly, my friend that went to and completed NMMI went in as a PFC, it was equivalent to JROTC.
View Quote
NMMI is a little different.  NMMI is a 2 year college that has ROTC as part of the curriculum.  They commission as a 2LT upon graduation, and have 2 years to finish their degree (since a bachelors degree is required as a commissioned officer).  I had a NMMI guy in my squad at LDAC.  He was very immature and of dubious leadership quality.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
St. John's Military School is shutting down in Salina, KS. Very sad. An all boys school, hoping to keep their marksmanship program alive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I begged my mother to send me to military school after I watched it. Probably not as fun as the movie made it out to be.
View Quote
Lol no.  They didn’t ever want to show us the movie there bc we’d get ideas

It’s more strict that the military (told to me by people who’ve done both) and I think it generally turns people off to it.  Esp with the tits and beer college alternative.

The kids who had service academies on their mind were some seriously squared away young men.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember seeing their advertisements in the back of National Geographic back in the 60's and 70's.
I wanted to go there as a kid. My parents were all "Lol"
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

NMMI is a little different.  NMMI is a 2 year college that has ROTC as part of the curriculum.  They commission as a 2LT upon graduation, and have 2 years to finish their degree (since a bachelors degree is required as a commissioned officer).  I had a NMMI guy in my squad at LDAC.  He was very immature and of dubious leadership quality.
View Quote
He just went to HS there, enlisted in Army after graduation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
So the kids aren't going to surrender the school unless Patton orders them to, but then he kicks the bucket, now they can't surrender? What about the school's XO?

At least Tom Cruise gets shot, so we had that for us.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is everyone getting hung up on the weapons? This movie was released in 1981. If the school wanted Class III weapons and had the budget, then the school could have as many as they wanted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn’t aware they had a high school.  All my dealings with them were college kids.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It’s more strict that the military (told to me by people who’ve done both) and I think it generally turns people off to it.  Esp with the tits and beer college alternative.

The kids who had service academies on their mind were some seriously squared away young men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I begged my mother to send me to military school after I watched it. Probably not as fun as the movie made it out to be.

Let's see...boot camp for four years or a beer-fueled orgy for four years.

Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#27]
TAPS (1981) with Timothy Hutton.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Finger on the trigger.

Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Always loved that scene.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Always loved that scene.
View Quote
It was a powerful one for sure..   I liked that movie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a good friend who attended NMMI.  He's up there in rank now and HSLD as fuck.  Just like everything in life not all the cadets are the same.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]
it was a pretty good movie.. kind of a big deal to kids at the time for obvious reasons.

I recall the commercials being awesome and really getting us all excited about seeing the movie..
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#34]
It is great movie for the early 80s.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#36]
It wasn't until I got to USAFA that I learned this is how you salute with a saber.

Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looking back (as someone who joined the Army right out of HS) I wish I had gone to a military school instead of a regular high school.

Young men need discipline, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I could've used some of that Military School stuff during my H.S. years prior to leaving for the A.F. when it was over. Still enjoyed my active duty time and would live at least 85% of it all over again. Loved that movie.  Mac
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It wasn't until I got to USAFA that I learned this is how you salute with a saber.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9w0I3DpRFL8/Tr3_QTvV7RI/AAAAAAAAAnc/Qfi8cvp-V5Q/s640/tom+cruise+taps+movie+02.jpg
View Quote
if marching and doing an eyes right.  otherwise head is to the front.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Lady, if my son can be involved in it, your son can be involved in it. Let's not get holier than thou.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Full Movie

Taps 1981 Movie / Sean Penn & Tom Cruise
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#42]
The fat kid asked him "excuse me, do you have any grenades?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Top Top