User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2022 11:32:14 PM EDT
Had to pull out my M16 clone and stroke it gently
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
"Ahh, lotsa plastic. Feels like a BB gun to me. Believe I'm gonna stick with my pistol. "
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy shit. You watched a 20 year old movie??? Definitely make a thread about it!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I get it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy shit. You watched a 20 year old movie??? Definitely make a thread about it!!!
View Quote
Don't hate

Sam was Awesome

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I stroke mine every once in awhile when alone sitting in my garage, its nice and feels familiar and comforting.

Good Movie
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Always hated the burnt dude scene .

Heavy burns scare the shit out of me
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I stroke mine every once in awhile when alone sitting in my garage, its nice and feels familiar and comforting.

Good Movie
View Quote
Last time I did that with the garage door open my neighbor called the cops and they told me to put pants on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Ahh, lotsa plastic. Feels like a BB gun to me. Believe I'm gonna stick with my pistol. "
View Quote
"If the time comes that I need one sir, there will be plenty of them laying on the ground."
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, and you posted an edgy response in it, and bumped it back to the top...
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#10]
RIP Joe
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a great movie. Mel did a pretty good job of portraying Hal Moore. There are a lot of great leadership moments in the movie that you can use for LPDs.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, and you posted an edgy response in it, and bumped it back to the top...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a great movie. Mel did a pretty good job of portraying Hal Moore. There are a lot of great leadership moments in the movie that you can use for LPDs.
View Quote

What is an LPD?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:48:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Mel Gibson can be odd and he’s had a lot of B-Movies as if late (wondering if he’s trying to be like Bruce Willis and get in as much as he can because his health is bad) but when he makes a solid movie, it’s a fucking solid movie. This is one of those movies.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I have my uncles belt, canteen pouches, and one canteen, he was Charlie company, and took a round carrying a wounded soldier at the creek bed, luckily he survived.he told me about it back in 1979, so he wasn't making up a story mimicking the movie, we have letters he wrote about being in the Central highlands, and that they were going into action soon, we also have the news clipping about him, it read, local boy wounded in Vietnam. He's 80 now, not many people I can say that I respect so much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#16]
The garrison parts of the movie were tolerable, but the battle scenes were just cheesy as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#17]
He was there... He saw it before - The Ia Drang in '65 ...  Holes here - holes there - Charlie got men into the holes.   They cut us to fucking pieces...

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The garrison parts of the movie were tolerable, but the battle scenes were just cheesy as fuck.
View Quote

The instant artillary rounds and air support, and the midwestern terrain could have been better
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#20]
that's a great movie, just watched it a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#21]
It has its obvious inaccuracies but I love it.

I would honestly LOVE if someone made a Band of Brothers style miniseries about that ENTIRE battle.

Reading the book the movie was based on, it was fucking crazy. And the slaughter that occurred on the march out that wasn't in the movie, deserves representation. Because it certainly wasn't a decisive victory as portrayed in the movie.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good Movie
View Quote

Did you have an m16 with you?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I was confused by the "spook"(?) in the command center who, after Colonel Moore's "Broken Arrow" call, said "There's no hiding it now."

Hiding WHAT exactly? That they thought we were going to lose a full bird Colonel and his SgtMaj, in our first major engagement with the NVA?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I had the chance to meet STGMAJ Plumley at WRAMC about 18 years ago. Great guy. Great to talk to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I visited panel 3E Thursday to honor those men and say thank you to Jimmy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was confused by the "spook"(?) in the command center who, after Colonel Moore's "Broken Arrow" call, said "There's no hiding it now."

Hiding WHAT exactly? That they thought we were going to lose a full bird Colonel and his SgtMaj, in our first major engagement with the NVA?
View Quote

I believe that referenced that America is now in direct conflict in NV.  This battle was one of the first head to head fights.  

Talks about this in the movie.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I met Tony Nadal in a business setting, before the movie. I had no idea who was....one of the guys close to him explained it to me....I still didn't grasp it until the movie came out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#28]
The movie only covers half of the battle. The book was excellent and I recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I watched that in theaters on my way back from college in a matinee with 4 other people. Two were teens and when the scene started where the chaplain was notifying the family's started the teens started laughing at the black wife breaking down. The guy a few rows in front was evidently a vet who stood up and went into full DI mode and started chewing them a new asshole complete with knife hands, they got up and left and I went from being sad at the scene to smiling at the reaming they had received.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The movie only covers half of the battle. The book was excellent and I recommend it.
View Quote

From what I remember in the book the second half was just as bad if not worse. It's been 20 years so it's hard to remember, I really should re-read it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wish they did not do that cheesy bayonet charge to close it out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Movie

I don't think that was what he was stroking
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

He died in the hospital.
The book is so much better than the movie.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The instant artillary rounds and air support, and the midwestern terrain could have been better
View Quote

the terrain was accurate

check out pics of the actual battle

or youtube videos of the location today
the book was better

The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (1/2)
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Loved this movie to the point of buying it AND buying some props used in it (uniform)
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had the chance to meet STGMAJ Plumley at WRAMC about 18 years ago. Great guy. Great to talk to.
View Quote

"What are you a fucking weatherman now"

I'm not sure if it was an accurate portrayal but Sam Elliot was great in that movie.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

the terrain was accurate

the book was better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4zLTiwTWA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the terrain was accurate

the book was better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4zLTiwTWA

When doing a pre-deployment for training site survey the staff at Ft Hunter-Ligget were talked about how much their landscape looks like the area the Chu Pong Massif and why the film was done there.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah yes, the midwestern terrain of California.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Like others have posted the book is head and shoulders better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I met Joe back a few years ago.  Great guy and a great movie.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#41]
terrain was accurate

Vietnam War battlefields: IA DRANG Valley LZ X Ray TODAY
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Not a bad movie but a glaring omission was no FAC aircraft overhead talking to the infantry and directing the strikes................. Also it was sad being reminded of what a futile and disastrous mess that war was. All those men killed for absolutely nothing and as Galloway said they were there only for each other and to look after each other and because they were ordered to go there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#43]

The REAL Battle from We Were Soldiers - Ia Drang 65 (2/2) - Massacre at LZ Albany
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I met Hal Moore and Joe Galloway when I was a cadet at West Point when the book first came out. Moore delivered several leadership seminars to the Corps while I was there.  Great man.  His name being on one of the renamed woke bases is one of the few things about that I don’t take issue with.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they at least cut the scenes, even as a kid I assumed time had past.  I wouldn't want to wait 5 minutes for artillery to start landing as a viewer or an hour for bombs if it's anything like my experience in Afghanistan.  

I thought the combat was pretty good with the exception of the bayonet charge at the end.  

An LZ Albany pt II would be great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think they at least cut the scenes, even as a kid I assumed time had past.  I wouldn't want to wait 5 minutes for artillery to start landing as a viewer or an hour for bombs if it's anything like my experience in Afghanistan.  

I thought the combat was pretty good with the exception of the bayonet charge at the end.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they guns were laid on priority targets, the rounds should be shot in under 30 seconds.  

Arty can be qucik as hell, if the redundant checks and clearance of fires procedures were stripped out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Had to pull out my M16 clone and stroke it gently
View Quote

The movie is just called "We were soldiers". We get it. You know what the book is called.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Mention the movie and I'll go to This Scene.

All hail Tower Week

We were soldiers - saying goodbye
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The movie is just called "We were soldiers". We get it. You know what the book is called.
View Quote

But do you?  Really?  I don't think so...
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What is an LPD?
View Quote

Leaders Professional Development
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top