Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2019 10:10:11 AM EDT
That Sherman was certainly a card, wasn't he?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Never understood his “March”.  All they had to do was get Lee to surrender.  Why destroy something and then spend money building it back.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Total warfare, punitive campaign.  The only way to peace is complete victory.  Sherman knew that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
His "march" probably shortened the war by 6-8 months, minimum. It devastated a large part of the South, stripping it of its already-meager resources. and demoralized it.
This is an object lesson for ANYone who wishes to cross Washington: We. Will. Crush. You. Ruby Ridge. Waco. Excessive use of force for all!
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I watched it a couple months ago.

I can see why it was such an award winner. Full of Hollywood mores. It was scandalish when it came out.

Mammy was awesome.

Fuck carpet bagging Yankees.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]
So you watched Gone With The Wind?  Frankly my dear i don't give a damn.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Haha. Interesting movie as a time-capsule of movie history, but it doesn't hold up very well. It's very long, and dull, no?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#10]
An example had to made. The South was beat, but he did it any way.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haha. Interesting movie as a time-capsule of movie history, but it doesn't hold up very well. It's very long, and dull, no?
View Quote
Long, sure, but not at all dull.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#12]
have never watched that movie.    :/
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never understood his “March”.  All they had to do was get Lee to surrender.  Why destroy something and then spend money building it back.
View Quote
Becasue Abraham Lincoln was the worst president in US history.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a great war tactic but a foolish one to use on your own people, divided we were but we were still one nation.

Bitter grand kids was the result of Sherman's March.

The Union naval blockade never gets the credit it deserves for winning the war.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe the term is: attaque à outrance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I was going to suggest Beano if you're driving the dog away.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have tried 3 times to watch that movie, I can't make my self watch all of it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#18]
We have a Gone With the Wind museum here in town.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Good movie
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#20]
The Civil war is considered the first modern war due to the effective use of railroads, ariel observation, introduction of the brass cartridge and Sherman's scorched earth tactics. Buildings and railroads wern't the only thing he destroyed. His army Literally shot thousands of horses. Some of the accounts are pretty sickening. It's also one of the reasons anyone caught playing or singing "Marching through Georgia" got their ass whipped even up into the 20th century.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Has been very long time since I watched it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wrong. The South was destined to be beaten but they absolutely had not stopped fighting. The March to the Sea ended months before Lee surrendered and he only did it then because his army was starving and falling apart.

There’s a substantial human cost to be considered when you think about taking it easy on a “beat” army or country when they clearly don’t intend to stop fighting against you until they no longer have a choice.
View Quote
Huh, kinda like Japan in WW 2?
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]
He heard the lamentations of their women...
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Movies and history do not necessary coincide.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. The South was destined to be beaten but they absolutely had not stopped fighting. The March to the Sea ended months before Lee surrendered and he only did it then because his army was starving and falling apart.

There’s a substantial human cost to be considered when you think about taking it easy on a “beat” army or country when they clearly don’t intend to stop fighting against you until they no longer have a choice.
More like the Germans at Stalingrad. lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

More like the Germans at Stalingrad. lol
View Quote
How is it like the Germans at Stalingrad?

The Germans were the aggressors, and they got beat by attrition, among other things.

The North marched to the sea and destroyed everything to completely demoralize the South.  Much like the campaigns in the west that killed the Indian's horse herds.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
and a massively accurate portrayal of history...….

yeah, whatever.

I once had a principal ask me why I didn't use Gone With the Wind as a video example of what the war was really about instead of sections of Burn's series on the Civil War or Gettysburg. Pot boiler it was, a pretty good one for what it was, history, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How is it like the Germans at Stalingrad?

The Germans were the aggressors, and they got beat by attrition, among other things.

The North marched to the sea and destroyed everything to completely demoralize the South.  Much like the campaigns in the west that killed the Indian's horse herds.
View Quote
Just saying the South was beaten nearly as bad as the 6th army was at Stalingrad, no food,  ammunition, supplies, etc. The March was unnecessary, but they had to be taught a lesson.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I enjoy the first half or so of the film, the remainder of it not so much. It kind of degenerates into a soap opera, IMO.

Sherman's trek? That war was a tragedy for everyone involved. Everyone. No used to refight it on the internet, but that never stops anyone from doing just that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
SHIT movie. I could never understand the appeal of it. The slavers were the good guys? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Vivien Leigh, like Atlanta, was smokin' hot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Been awhile since I've watched it.  Sort of similar, go watch the Horse Soldiers with John Wayne.   Union cavalrymen travel from somewhere in Tennessee? down to Newton Station and tear apart the railroad junction.  Then escape south to Baton Rouge.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I watched it a couple months ago.

I can see why it was such an award winner. Full of Hollywood mores. It was scandalish when it came out.

Mammy was awesome.

Fuck carpet bagging Yankees.
View Quote
Wood Plow Scarlett back in the day.

Mammy could watch.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember my JROTC in high school (located on a army post in a southern state) had his picture upside down. I was always tempted to uptight it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#38]
It also indirectly destroyed the Army of Tennessee; that buffoon Hood marched it up to Nashville to its death.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#39]
i’ve never seen the movie
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
We did the same thing to Germany...and Japan...why have wars at all, today my enemy, tomorrow my friend.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Went to the 80th anniversary showing with the wife last week. First time I've watched it, and saw it on the big screen. Vivien Leigh was smoking hot...
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Tutorial on picking up women.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Never understood his “March”.  All they had to do was get Lee to surrender. Why destroy something and then spend money building it back.
View Quote
I always appreciated Fulton Co. Stadium and 6 flags that the feds came down and built after sherman. It was a nice gesture.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

LOL....For some reason I sat through My Fair Lady last evening....Audrey Hepburn was just too fine to turn it off.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Been awhile since I've watched it.  Sort of similar, go watch the Horse Soldiers with John Wayne.   Union cavalrymen travel from somewhere in Tennessee? down to Newton Station and tear apart the railroad junction.  Then escape south to Baton Rouge.
View Quote
That raid was Sherman's model, he was at Vicksburg at the time. Grierson's raid was to help cut Confederate supply lines to Vicksburg which was under siege.  Live off the land, destroy everything that might be slightly related to the war effort, gain Glory - all appealed to Sherman.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/shermantires2_zpsesueclzh_jpg-868265.JPG

LOL....For some reason I sat through My Fair Lady last evening....Audrey Hepburn was just too fine to turn it off.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__7s9GUTM-oY/S7AGTNJz40I/AAAAAAAAP3c/gxXhjBHIzsY/s1600/Annex+-+Hepburn,+Audrey+%28My+Fair+Lady%29_18.jpg
View Quote
She doesn't hold a candle to Vivien Leigh.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's like anal sex, it's not about pleasure...it's about power.

Link Posted: 3/6/2019 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.theplace2.ru/archive/vivien_leigh/img/vivien_leigh_HQ_14.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/shermantires2_zpsesueclzh_jpg-868265.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__7s9GUTM-oY/S7AGTNJz40I/AAAAAAAAP3c/gxXhjBHIzsY/s1600/Annex+-+Hepburn,+Audrey+%28My+Fair+Lady%29_18.jpg

https://www.theplace2.ru/archive/vivien_leigh/img/vivien_leigh_HQ_14.jpg
If I want to see some woman acting like a bitch I'll turn on CNN.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#49]
It's a better study on "Game theory" and female psychology than the history of the Civil War, in my opinion.

But overall, I do like the movie.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Location checks out.  Most Georgians I've met still hate the guy.

He was right though.  You want someone to surrender?  Destroy everything they have.

Quoted:

Becasue Abraham Lincoln was the worst president in US history.
An undeniable fact.  The only guy that can even remotely challenge is FDR but if you've got a Civil War on your resume no one else is claiming that spot.

The disgusting thing is the progressive fucks that are in charge of public "education" lionize these guys as all-time greats.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top