Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2024 8:44:26 PM EDT
Ive got an old shed on the back of my property that hasnt been used in a few years.  I finally got around to clearing it out this weekend but I started too late because ive already got wasps starting to nest.

What kind are these?  Paper wasps usually have some yellow, I thought?  My plans of cleaning the disgusting windows are on hold until I murder these things.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like paper wasps to me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope bugs for me.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are the burn it to the ground wasps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Angry orchard
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#5]
We call those paper wasps here in Kansas. Hot tempered they are.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The not on fire kind

Why are they not on fire?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
In Texas we just all them “Red Wasps” and they come in a few different patterns.  We have slender yellow and black ones too…that we mistakenly call “Yellowjackets” but yes, they are paper wasps and make the honeycomb nest without the paper cocoon around the outside like other wasps and hornets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Vespa genus. Not cuddly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Paper wasp.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Hit their nest with some Wasp Freeze at night. At night, is key.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Red Wasp
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Red wasp in the south. Or common name of "oh you motherfucker". They hate everything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Terminate with extreme predjudice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a variety of paper wasp. Usually not so large open nests, unlike like hornets or yellow jackets.
The ones around here are aggressive if you start getting too close to their nests but not so much out in the open away from their nest.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Alive wasps so you fail.  Go on amazon and buy this and spray your house every 3 months.  Listen to the label or itll look like an elephant jerked off on your house.https://a.co/d/a56V8Su
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Paper wasps. Those aren’t super aggressive and usually won’t sting you unless you give them reason to unlike those stripped ones that seem to live solely to sting me.

Pick up some wasp spray and just hit the nest with it. They’ll leave.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
If you leave them alone hey kill things that actually do us more harm. I can clean within inches and they do not attack. Go after their nest they get nasty but I like spiders and wasps because they kill dirty bugs..
Now Yellow jackets those are not wasps those are hornets and they are just mean for the sake of mean

Mud dabbers are similar wasps that make those cement looking nest. Again, they eat the bugs we actually don't want, roaches, silver bugs etc

Wasps and spiders are our allies, IMO (Except widows and recluse)
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Little known fact, on their way out of Eden, Eve muttered some bullshit under her breath and that's how we got wasps.  

Straight punishment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe it's just the lighting, but those look pretty brown. Paper wasps around here are black and yellow.

Got stung on the pinky by a paper wasp a couple years ago and it was like I smashed it with a hammer
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
They are between a proper window a storm window,  i might have to figure out how to fog them somehow.  To make matters worse, there is a window AC in that window and its kind of high off the ground.  

Ive got no problems with random wasp nests near eves, but these things are going to find their way inside, i know it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you leave them alone hey kill things that actually do us more harm. I can clean within inches and they do not attack. Go after their nest they get nasty but I like spiders and wasps because they kill dirty bugs..
Now Yellow jackets those are not wasps those are hornets and they are just mean for the sake of mean

Mud dabbers are similar wasps that make those cement looking nest. Again, they eat the bugs we actually don't want, roaches, silver bugs etc

View Quote

Oh, you!.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I’d throw a bug bomb thing in there and shut the door. See what is left the next day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  Leaving the super predators alive and around you place will do more to keep the bugs down than all the spray and poision and gasoline that you could ever use.

Wasps, spiders, centipedes, all get a ride outside in my place via yogurt cup and paper under it, to go out into the world and eat insects.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Maybe it's just the lighting, but those look pretty brown. Paper wasps around here are black and yellow.

Got stung on the pinky by a paper wasp a couple years ago and it was like I smashed it with a hammer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paper Wasps.

I quoted you because I too have taken a paper wasp in the finger.

I opened the big top lid on a dumpster, must’ve put my finger right next to the wasp & touched it a little. The bastard got me right by the base of my fingernail, it was as close to the nail as is possible. The pain was shocking, like how the hell could something that small inflict that much pain. I won’t say it’s the worst pain I’ve ever felt but it was, by a wide margin, the most painful insect sting / bite I’ve ever experienced.

Evil bastards.

Be careful if you go messing around in there OP. Place like that could have a massive years old nest in it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
That is the mutha-fuckin-bonafide big industrial strength red wasp variety.
Not aggressive, you say? That’s bullshit.
The only sole purpose in that red wasps life is to fuck your shit up. If you see it in time, kill them with all authority of nuclear weapon known to man. Yes, I said IT and THEM because when one of them determines YOUR DAY is gonna suck, he summons his buddies, who are just as angry, and they proceed to make damn sure  your day sucks, as will the next couple days at each sting site.
KILL THEM!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought you meant the other WASPS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Nah, these arent afraid of spicy foods and low credit scores.  

Is there a fogger that works for wasps?  I think i can tape it to a stick and reach the window with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Red Wasp.   Paper wasps are black and yellow.  

Red wasps are meaner IMO.

Had a nest of the reds in the shed where I kept my riding mower.   Went to pull it out one summer and had one of those red bastards come after me and sting me in my eye lid.  Mother fucker aimed for my eyes.  

I gave my mower away.  Pulled the shed to the edge of my property, and now pay a dude to cut my grass.

FUCK that shit.  They win.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep.  Leaving the super predators alive and around you place will do more to keep the bugs down than all the spray and poision and gasoline that you could ever use.

Wasps, spiders, centipedes, all get a ride outside in my place via yogurt cup and paper under it, to go out into the world and eat insects.
View Quote

Nope.

Stihl back pack sprayer/blower, right mix of chemicals (knock down, growth inhibitors, etc), right application schedule and method = nothing lives, land or sky.

If it lands in my yard or on my house, it dies.

ETA: Also tempo dust is great at killing hives/nests. I killed a ground nest last year the size of basketball. Those little bastards starting buzzing up to escape. Then silence. It was a strangely satisfying feeling. Those fuckers had gotten my dog in the face and body earlier that day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
This is what I use..........
Attachment Attached File

About this item
Kills wasps, yellow jackets, mud daubers and hornets
Entrapping foam stops wasps instantly
Jet spray reaches nests up to 20 feet above ground allowing you to stand a safe distance from the nest
Kills insects that return to the nest
Pinpoint accurate foam reaches nests under roof eaves, around carports, doorways, window frames and other outdoor areas
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Little known fact, on their way out of Eden, Eve muttered some bullshit under her breath and that's how we got wasps.  

Straight punishment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In Texas we just all them “Red Wasps” and they come in a few different patterns.  We have slender yellow and black ones too…that we mistakenly call “Yellowjackets” but yes, they are paper wasps and make the honeycomb nest without the paper cocoon around the outside like other wasps and hornets.
View Quote

MIL had those in TX.  We tried several OTC stuff, before calling an exterminator, Orkin.  They said the OTC stuff, will kill the existing nests, however, it leaves the wasps scent behind, which will attract another nest.  They guarantee their product, with a money back guarantee.  

An exterminator, here in AZ, had to remove a bee hive in our walls, between the brick & interior plaster board.  They said, bleach in a spray bottle, around all entry points, or where wasps were trying to make nests.  Kills their scents.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#33]
The fuck you up mean mother fuckin RED mother fuckin aggressive as shit mother fuckin stinging fuckin fuckfuck Satan spawn wasps for the short name
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The not on fire kind

Why are they not on fire?
View Quote

I like jet-feeding them SpectraCide.

Stinging/biting insects tend to die when they invade my space.

??
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#37]
They are Hornets. Paper Wasps are yellow and black.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Red wasp and paper wasp are not as aggressive as yellow jackets and bald face hornets… but if you F around with them you’re fixin’ to find out.

Red/paper wasp stings dwarf yellow jacket, bald faced hornet, and bee stings.  SOOO much more painful.

I popped the cap off a well head once, tearing the sizable paper wasp nest underneath in half.  I got stung like a dozen times and they beat my ass.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#39]
My brother calls those "asshole bees"
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#40]
This shit will settle them down real quickly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Those are some cute kitties you got there

If you’re cold, they’re cold and you should bring them inside
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#43]
The exact species of wasp in your picture is Polistes Metricus.

Two summers I got stung by one on my deck.  

The bastard followed me 15 or 20 feet from his nest and decided to tag me.  

Some Youtubers who like doing videos of themselves getting stung have rated this wasp's sting worse than a bald-faced hornet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nope.

Stihl back pack sprayer/blower, right mix of chemicals (knock down, growth inhibitors, etc), right application schedule and method = nothing lives, land or sky.

If it lands in my yard or on my house, it dies.

ETA: Also tempo dust is great at killing hives/nests. I killed a ground nest last year the size of basketball. Those little bastards starting buzzing up to escape. Then silence. It was a strangely satisfying feeling. Those fuckers had gotten my dog in the face and body earlier that day.
View Quote

You've made your home a Superfund site of toxic chemicals.  Not where I'd want to live, but cancer treatments are more and more successfully.  

Gotta laugh - some dude seems 3 flying insects and rushes off to fire up the backpack blower, getting white chemical dust all over his face.  "Ha, who's flying now you bastards?!?!  Damn this cough, need to see the doctor about it sometime."
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This shit will settle them down real quickly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_1327_jpeg-3163303.JPG
View Quote

X87

I have cans of this strategicly placed in my garage and yard... Any hornet/wasp any time..
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Red Wasp
View Quote

What we call them.

Not fun critters. If you find a nest of them in the shed, douse them with a cup of gasoline. The sudden cooling from gas evaporation makes them drop like flies. Once they all hit the ground, squash without mercy, the hit the nest with a second cup of gas, light it, burn the shed down. It's the only way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Blackie Lawless
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Mahogany wasps
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The exact species of wasp in your picture is Polistes Metricus.

Two summers I got stung by one on my deck.  

The bastard followed me 15 or 20 feet from his nest and decided to tag me.  

Some Youtubers who like doing videos of themselves getting stung have rated this wasp's sting worse than a bald-faced hornet.
View Quote

Red wasps definitely hurt.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Assholes with wings
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top