Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/1/2021 4:55:38 PM EDT
Whirlpool WTW5000, bought the fucking thing brand new from Home Depot only 4 years ago for $700, now the damn thing won't spin and makes a grinding noise! Holy fucking shit why is everything new so fucking unreliable now?!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
CHY-NA !
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel your pain, we're 3 years into a Whirlpool washer now, with fingers crossed. It replaced a Samsung that broke a seal and flooded the laundry room.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a used Speed Queen and felt like I upgraded
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Speed queen commercial is what you seek.

beat by 3 seconds
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s a little plastic gear on the bottom of the drum. Cheap to fix, but you wouldn’t have to tear it apart if you started with a speedqueen
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I average a new washer every 5-6 years. Both Whirlpool and Maytag. And not the cheap models.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not exclusive to appliances..
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My Electrolux dryer stopped working after 10 months. It couldn't be fixed after 8 service attempts. I'm not sure about all manuafacturers, but Electroulx gave me the run around and never replaced the dryer even though it was under warranty. Unfortunately, appliances have become disposable products.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whirlpool WTW5000, bought the fucking thing brand new from Home Depot only 4 years ago for $700, now the damn thing won't spin and makes a grinding noise! Holy fucking shit why is everything new so fucking unreliable now?!
View Quote

One of the things I learned years ago, when my wife was a Recruiter, is that the appliance manufacturers hire "Cost Reduction Engineers" whose only job it is to keep making their products cheaper and cheaper.

They're actively working against you.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m actually pissed how shitty everything is. It’s ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the result of people demanding the lowest cost products for the home. Lot's of shitty brittle plastics used in housings and parts from China. Sorry to hear OP.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
We had our brand new LG double wall oven shatter it’s glass first time using its self clean function in 2019. It took us over a year to get it fixed. They said it wasn’t covered under warranty because they were purchased over a year prior even though we had only been in our house using them for a month.

The service guy said we shouldn’t use self clean even though it’s a feature of the oven.

I’ve replaced the thermostat on our LG dryer 3 times in five years.

Yes new appliances are shit. Next time we’re buying basic bitch shit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One of the things I learned years ago, when my wife was a Recruiter, is that the appliance manufacturers hire "Cost Reduction Engineers" whose only job it is to keep making their products cheaper and cheaper.

They're actively working against you.

View Quote
We will never not have cost reduction efforts. It's been going on forever. People trying to find faster and sometimes cheaper ways to do things. Look at just firearms in WW2 and you can see we did it there too. I don't think that is the issue. But there are companies who instead of generating healthy profit by either selling more or innovating, try to make that money via cost reductions. That is a losing battle and quality often suffers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#14]
They are pretty easy to repair OP.

I’m a poor and as a result I fix lots of things myself.

I agree that quality has gone to hell.

ETA: The computers and electronics are a different story, I can fix mechanical things.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The Samsung I bought didn't last 8 months until it needed a bunch of new parts.  At least it was covered under their ONE year warranty.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Every time our 25 year old Whirlpool breaks down, the wife says we need a new one. Then I fix something simple in it and life goes on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We had our brand new LG double wall oven shatter it’s glass first time using its self clean function in 2019. It took us over a year to get it fixed. They said it wasn’t covered under warranty because they were purchased over a year prior even though we had only been in our house using them for a month.

The service guy said we shouldn’t use self clean even though it’s a feature of the oven.

I’ve replaced the thermostat on our LG dryer 3 times in five years.

Yes new appliances are shit. Next time we’re buying basic bitch shit.
View Quote

As a poor...I always get the cheapest usable option.  Uber Basic top and bottom fridge..but I got it black, because I'm still classy.  I used it for a decade, then sold it to a friend to keep in his garage.  It still keeps beer cold and ice frozen.  Go figure.  Same thing with washing machines.  The cheap ones, without all the fancy bullshit have never given me any issues.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Probably the clutch.

We've got 15+ year old washer/dryer that we just keep a stock of parts on the shelf for.  Fixing most problems is at most 30 minutes of work or so.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
My 2010 Samsung washer wouldn't drain last week.
$40 for a new pump from Amazon, here the next day, and a Youtube video later and she's back to work.

Did the heater element on the same vintage dryer about two years ago for about the same cost.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
It is called planned obsolescence.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
There are two kinds of Whirlpool appliance.

Less expensive junk and more expensive junk.

Whirlpool is absolute garbage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#22]
All the whiz-bang bullshit is the problem.

Look for the most inefficient, bare-bones featureless model out there and you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is the result of people demanding the lowest cost products for the home.
View Quote

I think we're starting to see a small shift towards "I'll pay more if the goddamn thing will last longer."
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Speedqueen commercial for the win. Would you expect a Barska scope to hold-up to a steady pounding of .338?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I just repaired my 35 year old Maytag clothes washing with a new motor, $200 but worth every penny. My 35 yo Whirlpool drier also needed repair, another $200, paid it with a smile. Good for the rest of my life and my children's life.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Reliability or even function are not important. The priority is EPA approval and greenie bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Replaced our 17 year old Kenmore washer and dryer with a 3 year old pair 18 years ago. They’re still going.

Those were made by Whirlpool, I think.

I’ve repaired them with OEM parts that are still available, although they’re getting harder to find. Cheap furn made crap parts have flooded the market.

I might have $200 in parts in them.

Still running our 25 year old fridge, microwave, and dishwasher.

The only thing that hasn’t needed repair is the dishwasher. All the fixes have been inexpensive and DIY.

They don’t make things to last anymore.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is called planned obsolescence.
View Quote

Sad but true reality of today's appliances.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just bought a used Speed Queen and felt like I upgraded
View Quote
I just got a new Speed Queen TC5. It's great, but you better not be in a hurry to get one, there was a waiting list at my local distributor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#30]
My 15 year old Frigidaire front loader has never not worked.  Love it and it was made in America by Americans
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#31]
My LG washer and dryer set were going strong after 17 years.
The main bearing on the washer went out.
I had to replace the hall sensor unit on the washer twice until someone here on ARFcom gave me the procedure to recover the hall sensor when it gets "confused".

I have had a new LG washer and dryer on order from Home Depot for over a month with 3 weeks to go (they are still out of stock on the washer).
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Wait, I thought new stuff was 10x more reliable than old stuff?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait, I thought new stuff was 10x more reliable than old stuff?
View Quote

define "stuff."

Cars, yes.

Kitchen/household appliances, NFW.

ETA: My neighbor had a Sunbeam made-in-America countertop electric can-opener she bought in the 1980s that lasted 29 years before it died. Like the one below.  COuld you imagine the shitty China-mart ones today lasting 2 years?

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Speed queen tc5000 classic is what you seek..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Heck your plastic hub gearing. Designed to strip before the motor burns under too heavy of a load. I’m on my 3rd as women can’t understand to not overload the washer. $15 part and I keep a spare.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Every time our 25 year old Whirlpool breaks down, the wife says we need a new one. Then I fix something simple in it and life goes on.
View Quote
30 year old Maytag W/D here. Needed 1 new small part 15 years ago and still running like a swiss watch. Years ago I kept wanting to get the newest and greatest and wife wouldn't let me. I'm glad.

I have an extra motor stored in the basement and if you could only see the construction of that thing vs new ones today. Solid cast housing...

True story: I had an older tech come out to replace that part 15 years ago and when I asked him how much longer I had with these two he looked me in the eyes and said "probably longer than you and me". Honest.

edit: sorry, wife just reminded me it's been 40 years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought my Whirlpool washer and dryer as a set for $2500 in 2004...Three kids and a house full of pets...still going strong.  One of the best purchases I've ever made.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not going to lie...this is us as well.

Before, we couldn't afford to replace appliances, so we learned to fix them.  Now we can afford new stuff, but we hate to spend the money.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#39]
They expect you to say fuck it and buy a new one.

Small appliance repair is amazingly simple with a few YouTube videos.

Had a clothes dryer not power up. Appliance repair man said I needed new control panel for 1200 bucks.

A few simple YouTube’s and it was a one dollar thermal fuse I did myself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#40]
It sucks but it sort of makes sense in terms of profit. Appliances that last forever = bad business model long term.

Many people say to stick with American made for appliances. I'd stick with the bigs, Whirlpool, Maytag etc. Maybe go with a commercial version for heavy duty parts. Ordinary dial and mechanical buttons are the best for washer/dryers. Stay away from anything with a fancy LED display. Steam and constant moisture don't go well with electronics.

I was watching this video of a really old AC unit. The f'er was 46 years old and still working!

I don't think that this manufacturer is still in business though.

46 YEAR OLD SEARS CENTRAL AC CAN IT BE FIXED
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Buy a Speed Queen.

Ugly as sin, but they work consistently.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#42]

My Kenmore set is 22 years old.   I’ve replaced the “dogs” in the washer twice and replaced the thermal fuse in the dryer once.
Local parts dealer said keep repairing these two appliances as long as parts are available.   Nothing compares to them in present day.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#43]
You could fix it yourself with a $35 part.   Plug in your full washer part number into this website.

https://www.partselect.com/

They even provide a video that is handy on how to replace the part.

Whirlpool Washer Repair - How to Replace the Drive Hub Kit (Whirlpool # W10528947)

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

define "stuff."

Cars, yes.

Kitchen/household appliances, NFW.

ETA: My neighbor had a Sunbeam made-in-America countertop electric can-opener she bought in the 1980s that lasted 29 years before it died. Like the one below.  COuld you imagine the shitty China-mart ones today lasting 2 years?

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6590406/il_fullxfull.343997689.jpg
View Quote

Almost 70 years old, my dad had it, still works great, never touched
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine is literally down right now as well. It’s aggravating because my wife is all about a dishwasher and I am all about washing by hand. But I have to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Almost 70 years old, my dad had it, still works great, never touched
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498772/image-2036342.jpg
View Quote

In 1986 I had a 1942 model Frigidaire refrigerator that my bosses mother had bought with ration stamps (or that's what he told me anyway) motherfucker would freeze beer solid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It sucks but it sort of makes sense in terms of profit. Appliances that last forever = bad business model long term.

Many people say to stick with American made for appliances. I'd stick with the bigs, Whirlpool, Maytag etc. Maybe go with a commercial version for heavy duty parts. Ordinary dial and mechanical buttons are the best for washer/dryers. Stay away from anything with a fancy LED display. Steam and constant moisture don't go well with electronics.

I was watching this video of a really old AC unit. The f'er was 46 years old and still working!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCC01I-1oc
View Quote

My York CHP030-6A heat pump was 39 years old when I replaced it.

I could have repaired it myself with about a $800-1000 worth of parts, but most of the replacement parts (control board) would have been just as old as my unit, so in the long run it would have been a crapshoot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup.  Our washer, a GE, won’t lock the door and won’t drain.  It’s 2 years old.  I’m just going to the used appliance store and buying whatever they got that’s $100 or less.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCC01I-1oc
View Quote

It’s a shift from consumer durables to extenables. The consumer has accepted they need to replace appliances every 5 years vs a 5 dollar part that gets them another 5 years.

Home appliances are incredibly simple
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#50]
OP, quit being such a little bitch.

You aint shit until you've completely disassembled the damn thing and posted pics.

You don't have to be able to actually fix it, or even reassemble it. But you gotta take it apart. Dafug you got to lose. Its already 100% not working.

There probably are 10 youtube videos on the exact issue your common-as-dirt appliance is exhibiting.

You can do this.

You might even have to buy a tool. The horror.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top