User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/24/2022 4:13:14 PM EDT
Unpossible

No shit

Do no evil

SEATTLE – The Washington State Attorney General is filing a lawsuit Monday against Google, claiming it secretly tracks consumer locations.

Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s lawsuit is set to file at King County Superior Court and says Google continues to track consumers even after they turn off location tracking settings.

This data is used for Google to profit from, according to Ferguson.

Ferguson claims Google uses “deceptive and unfair” practices to track consumers, making it nearly impossible to stop the tech company from collecting data.

“Location data is deeply personal for consumers,” Ferguson said. “This information reveals the most significant details of our lives. Google denied consumers the ability to choose whether Google could track their sensitive location data to make a profit. Google kept tracking individuals’ location data even after consumers told the corporation to stop. This is not only dishonest — it’s unlawful.”

A press release previewing the lawsuit claims Google made nearly $150 billion from advertising in 2020 and argues location data feeds into this profit.

Cold, nothing more to read: https://komonews.com/news/local/wash-ag-claims-google-secretly-tracks-consumer-location
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
90% of people don't care, 9% of people do care, but't won't go to any great length to stop it and feel like trying to have basic privacy is a worthy but nearly hopeless cause, and 1% of people are elderly folks on flip phones.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Secretly?

They're pretty open about it at this point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What's so secret about it?  This has been well known for years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Secretly?

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Why should it surprise anyone that a company that will cheat to get a Pedo in Office would secretly track you?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like another Silly Sideshow Bob play to line his pockets.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Fine them $2 trillion dollars.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
WA AG Bob Ferguson is a total POS anti gun mother fucker.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
This has been a week known "secret" for years.

It shouldn't surprise anyone, outside of a horridly out of touch Luddite.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Google doing shady shit?

My shocked face
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unpossible

No shit

Do no evil

SEATTLE – The Washington State Attorney General is filing a lawsuit Monday against Google, claiming it secretly tracks consumer locations.

Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s lawsuit is set to file at King County Superior Court and says Google continues to track consumers even after they turn off location tracking settings.

This data is used for Google to profit from, according to Ferguson.

Ferguson claims Google uses “deceptive and unfair” practices to track consumers, making it nearly impossible to stop the tech company from collecting data.

“Location data is deeply personal for consumers,” Ferguson said. “This information reveals the most significant details of our lives. Google denied consumers the ability to choose whether Google could track their sensitive location data to make a profit. Google kept tracking individuals’ location data even after consumers told the corporation to stop. This is not only dishonest — it’s unlawful.”

A press release previewing the lawsuit claims Google made nearly $150 billion from advertising in 2020 and argues location data feeds into this profit.

Cold, nothing more to read: https://komonews.com/news/local/wash-ag-claims-google-secretly-tracks-consumer-location
View Quote

And now you know why they don't let you remove the battery from your phone anymore.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol, isn't this common knowledge. As in every person who has used Google at some point should know this. What an out of touch twat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Secretly?

View Quote

Yeah this isn't any type of secret.

If you have an android device, it's attempting to track your location even when location services are off and it's in airplane mode.   There is no way to disable it short of removing the battery, destroying the phone, or using enough shielding to prevent it.

Anyone disgusted with our current government and its behavior who then turns around and says "but I don't care about Google tracking me" is an idiot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Ain't no secret.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Let me guess, he's perfectly OK with publishing the names and address'
of CCW permit holders though?

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#17]
May be futile, but, I do this and keep gps off at all times.

How to Turn off All Sensors on Android at Once.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And now you know why they don't let you remove the battery from your phone anymore.
View Quote

pffft, absolutely guarantee google ain't tracking anything through my old flip phone.

you do this to yourself and then people are surprised by it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Not really surprising.  My coworker has an Android phone and google emails him every month all the places that he went and when he went there.  He can look back months at that.  If you have the location service active on your phone they know where you go and when and how often you go there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't have a google phone or device
Dont use google web browser, search or Gmail.
Use a VPN
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Shocker /s
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zLbhufxQYg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zLbhufxQYg

Software switches do nothing. The hardware is designed to constantly collect information on the user.

Quoted:
Don't have a google phone or device
Dont use google web browser, search or Gmail.
Use a VPN

VPNs don't provide the level of security most think they do. A VPN and Proxy help, but even if you have multiple layers between you, they can still trace and collect information. True anonymity is going the way of the dinosaurs. What we have is the illusion of privacy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
That piece of shit just wants a cut
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Bob is truly a world class piece of shit, but I kinda don't hate this. Google knows way too much.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shocker /s
View Quote
Yes, that is what I would name a tittie bar.  Got coordinates?

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#26]
This is news? Welcome to a decade ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep, and I've turned it on as much as I can. Neat to see various places I've been over time.

The fact is you've been tracked (or at least able to be tracked) when you stopped using cash. You think credit card companies don't know what you've been doing for the past three decades?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#28]
It ain't no secret, if you pay attention.

If you have a phone, Google, NSA, CIA, FBI, OMB, DOA, DSS, FU2.......they all know where you are.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I was driving down the long drag through the center of Anniston, AL two weeks ago. I just happened to be running Google maps. You can watch a 6 or 7 blocks ahead there. Witnessed the Google data siphon live. Road on map where i was stopped was yellow. Three lights ahead had green lights and map was green on my phone. Four seconds after my group started moving, our section went green on the map.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I've always assumed an individuals advertising and marketing data is far more comprehensive than anything the government could aggregate on their own.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#31]
"Secretly" you mean like how the weather is always right and the map has got you smack in the middle all the time?

"Berherpa derp derp derp!"

I have zero doubt there's about twenty databases run by google that know where I am. Where my car is. Where I work. What I eat. When I eat. When I poop. Health issues. Credit rating. Turns ons. Pet peeves. Favorite color..

Picture the CIA but everyone voluntarily provides the info.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Tracking your phone is for government commies only for oppression and tyranny.  Little people shouldn't be able to for data and profit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Secretly?

View Quote

I get an email every month asking if I want to review my past routes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
In the 1970's there was a bunch of books on how-to "fall off the radar."

These days it's super simple:

1) Use paygo AOSP or burners for phones. Change carriers frequently.
2) Use proton for email
3) Signal for texts
4) Pay cash for everything
5) Drive a car made before 2005
6) Kill your social media accounts or use frequently changed pseudonyms that never cross post to friends/family
7) Don't use coupons
8) VPN if you want home internet at all
9) A non internet linked GPS that you have to manually load maps for

You know what? Even after all that crud, you still won't be addressing the stuff that concerned the guys in the 70's... and you'll be making a data black hole that will be really interesting to people that are interest in that sort of thing.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Secretly?

View Quote

This ^
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol idk how many times i've turned that off and deleted the history. I think a large number of sites or apps that get location permission turn it back on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

pffft, absolutely guarantee google ain't tracking anything through my old flip phone.

View Quote

Even flip phones will give location data.
Do you read the fine print on your mobile plan? Wouldn't surprise me if carriers sell it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck google...and fuck Ferguson, he's a corrupt gun grabbing punk, he's only on this as an attempt to run for governor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In the 1970's there was a bunch of books on how-to "fall off the radar."

These days it's super simple:

1) Use paygo AOSP or burners for phones. Change carriers frequently.
2) Use proton for email
3) Signal for texts
4) Pay cash for everything
5) Drive a car made before 2005
6) Kill your social media accounts or use frequently changed pseudonyms that never cross post to friends/family
7) Don't use coupons
8) VPN if you want home internet at all
9) A non internet linked GPS that you have to manually load maps for

You know what? Even after all that crud, you still won't be addressing the stuff that concerned the guys in the 70's... and you'll be making a data black hole that will be really interesting to people that are interest in that sort of thing.

Good Luck.
View Quote

Being a data blackhole ought to be part of my religion
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#41]
turn off bluetooth, wifi and gps when you are out. no google tracking.

you can opt out of various bullshit also. but it takes some effort on your end..
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

The towers know and their data is sold on and resold.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

lol

The towers know and their data is sold on and resold.
View Quote

so.. what exactly is sold form 'tower data'? cops gotta get a warrant to get that data, (your unique system id and where it was etc). so you are saying this same data is available for sale?

prove it... its a  fun conspiracy to masturbate to... but anyway...
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol, isn't this common knowledge. As in every person who has used Google at some point should know this. What an out of touch twat.
View Quote
Yeah, when I google a store to see their hours or whatever, I always get "you last visited this location..." notices.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
so.. what exactly is sold form 'tower data'? cops gotta get a warrant to get that data, (your unique system id and where it was etc). so you are saying this same data is available for sale?
prove it... its a  fun conspiracy to masturbate to... but anyway...
View Quote

Cops. Conspiracies. Lmao.

It's called marketing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#46]
They have it down to sections of a store. When I wanted a new washer drier unit, I lingered around that section in Home Depot longer than I normally ever would.

When I got home, I was flooded with ads for washers and driers on my PC. My phone was feeding this info of me browsing the appliance section to the tech companies and had sold and directed ads by the time I got home 30 minutes later.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Secretly? WTF? Obviously they know where you are, because all your traffic is from an IP address. It's like realizing the phone company knows where all your phone calls happened in the days of POTS.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pfftttt….

Hey, buddy!

Got some news for you!

Whoever your flip phone carrier is has sold your location data to third parties :

https://mashable.com/article/att-verizon-sprint-tmobile-location-data-class-action-lawsuit

One Missouri sheriff got busted for tracking the personal phones of other cops and judges :

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2018/05/14/missouri-sheriff-tracked-rivals-via-cell-phones-a-us-senator-wants-answers

Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Bob Faguson is the only thing i trust less than google
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top