Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/26/2024 11:07:12 PM EDT
Both my Dad's dad and my Mom's dad have long since passed.  Both in 1991 when I was only six years old.  Kinda feel cheated not knowing either of them as grown man.  

Dad's dad, Paw Hub, was one of 11 children.  His father was hit by a car when he stepped off of a bus, so Paw Hub grew up quick.  He left school around the 7th grade to work on the family farm.  When Pearl Harbor happened, he volunteered for the Navy so there would be one less mouth to feed.  I'm told when he got paid, he would keep enough money for cigarettes and send the rest back home to my Great Grandmother.  After the war he went to work for the railroad on the bridge gang, and by the time he retired in the 80s he was a bridge superintendent.  Dad says he knew every bridge from Houston to New Orleans, when it was built, what it was made out of, etc.  I think I would've enjoyed sitting on the porch with him, listening to stories from his time in the Pacific, or growing up in the depression.  

Mom's dad, Papaw Leo, wasn't old enough to fight during WWII, but went into the Air Force in the late 40s, early 50s.  He was French, but that side of the family didn't come to Louisiana with the Cajuns in the 1700s, they came directly from France after the Civil War.  He spoke French until he went to school and was forced to learn English. They say he was a phenomenal cook.  He used to go camping with my Dad and my Mom's brothers.  He would cook while the rest of them played bouray and drank beer.  I do pretty well in the kitchen, but I would've loved to have been taught by him.  

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Both were great men in their own ways.  I admire both of them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I knew my maternal grandfather growing up and as a young adult.
He was a great influence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. Miss him and my Grandmother every day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Lost my mom's dad in 2020
He made me the man I am today as both my parents worked full time

Just lost my dad's dad two days ago

I'm now with no grandpas for the first time in my 35 years

What a strange feeling
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanaryCamaro] [#4]
My maternal grandmother died almost 10 years before I was born. My paternal grandmother died when I was about a year old.

My maternal grandfather died when I was 10 and my paternal grandfather died when I was 25. I was pretty close with him and still think about him everyday. I hope he’d be proud of me today. He’s been gone for almost 17 years.

My wife (who just turned 40) has all of her grandparents except for one grandfather. They’ve all been divorced and remarried so she (we) have a lot of grandparents!  I’m lucky they love me the same as if I’m one of their own.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I was 22 when my grandfather died.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I never knew either of mine. My great grandfather was still alive when I was born though. But he was starting into dementia. So though I’ve seen a baby picture of me with him, I didn’t know him. I did have a step grandpa and though we weren’t close, I appreciated it.

My mother’s father was a line man and was electrocuted when she was 12. My Father’s father had passed before I was born. As my father was quite a bit older than my mother.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:19:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#7]
Nope.  One died when I was six weeks old.  The other when I was about five.  I only have one fuzzy memory of him.  He lived an hour or two away, and he wasn’t in good health, so he wasn’t around regularly.

I only knew one grandmother, who died when I was 18.  The other died 20+ years before I was born.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Dad’s dad died ~6 years before I was born.

Mom’s dad died when I was ~37.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Also my Great Grandfather, born in 1863, along with my Grandfather.  Wish I was able to learn more from them both.  As a young kid, I was able to spend time with both, just did not understand how much more I could have learned!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
One died when I was young. Vague good memories of him. Other one died when I was in my 20s but had Alzheimer’s as long as I could remember.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
He was. He passed away when I was in VN.

Grandpa Frank was a veteran of the AEF in WWI.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
My maternal Grandfather was 96 when he passed. I was just shy of 32 at the time. I am blessed to have known him for as long as I did.

My paternal Grandfather was killed in an accident on the job 11 years before I was born. My Grandmother remarried, but he passed away when I was on high school. They lived far away until the last few years before he died, so I didn't know him well. My Grandma's slide into Alzheimer's was already happening by then, so even though she still lived for more than a decade after that, I never really got to know her either.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My paternal grandfather was born in 1895.  He passed from a heart attack in 1969 when I was 11.

My maternal grandfather was born in 1908.  Cancer took him in 1978 when I was 20.

I miss them both terribly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#14]
Both my grandfathers died before I was born. One in 1936 and one in 1969.

I knew both grandmothers and 2 great grandmothers, but the last one died when I was 12.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
No sir. My Mom's dad abandoned her when she was 12. My dad's dad died when I was 10. That's why I do everything in my power to be involved in my Grandkid's lives.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Grandfather died within 3 weeks of the Covid lock downs. He was in a nursing home and my aunts (3 of them) would visit every day for a different meal each day. They fed him as he spent most of his life eating Vietnamese food. Well they locked it down and called my dad, saying he hasn’t eaten in weeks and was weak. And they are rushing him to the Er. He died alone as no one was able to go into the nursing home or the hospital. I was 36 at the time. I’m the youngest in my family.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#17]
My maternal grandparents are both still alive and well into their 90s. I suspect if grandma makes it another month, it will be close. When dementia sets in, they fall off fast. She had a good day today, and conversed and recognized everybody, but she does nothing but lay in bed in a dark room and waste away. No tv, no lights, no radio, just sits in silence. Grandad is in good shape for his age though and still gets around, mows his yard, and drives (although he really shouldn't).

My paternal grandmother died before I was born and I was in my teens when my paternal grandfather died.

My maternal great grandmother was alive until I was 8 or 9 or so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:25:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#18]
I was blessed to all 4 of my Grandparents into my 30's.  PawPaw was an old ruffneck turned field welder, his wife was the typical 50's stay at home mother.  Started his own mobile welding business, did pretty good for himself, quit school in 3rd grade. Taught me how to weld.   Nonno, my mother's dad came here from Itally in the late 50's.  Same story.  Had nothing, was able to build a nice little life for himself and his family.  All 3 passed in the last 5 years in their mid 80's.  I still have my Nonna, but she's not doing great.  She'll be 90 soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#19]
My father’s father died when I was three. My mother’s father died when she was seven.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#20]
Both of my grandfathers are still alive, although one has a bad cancer and the other has severe dementia. My grandmothers are both deceased. I was able to meet my great-grandmother (on my mother's side) before she passed away at the age of 96 when I was a teenager.

I'm currently 40-years-old.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I never knew any of my grandparents.

My mother was British (WW2 bride) and her mother died when she was young.  Dunno when her father died.

My father's parents were divorced, I think his father died before I was born and his mother died when I was very young (4 or younger.)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Dad's dad died when I was 17, but had been reduced to a shell of himself for several years before due to Alzheimer's. Mom's dad (who I'm named after) died before I was born.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I am 33. My grandpas are 86 and 93.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm 40 and my grandpa is still alive at 77
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes , both pairs of my grandparents were alive while I became an adult . Paternal grandparents influenced me greatly growing up and as an adult . Miss em all . Took care of “Mimi “ best I could after my grampa passed. Fuck Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]
My paternal grandfather was alive until January of 2006 when cancer took him.  Malignant melanoma metastasized to his brain.  Loved hanging out with him.  I was 26.
Maternal grandfather died in 2004 at the ripe old age of 89.  We got along, but mom's relationship with him was really strained.  I learned a little bit from him, but mostly how not to act as I grew older.

My wife's maternal grandfather lived until 2 days before turning 101.  He was a fantastic man of God and loved his family dearly.  Well into his 90s, he was still very sharp.
We got to see him on his 100th birthday in 2022.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Moms dad was a blacksmith who’d had a stroke.  Angry and mobile.  Moms sister was delivered slow and was profoundly retarded.  They both yelled up a storm when i threw rocks at the outhouse when either used it.

Dads dad was a real cowboy but had run off to the circus (literally-worked for Paul Ringling), when he came home he was person non grata and i only knew the little old man hunting snipes.

So no, my grandpa was a RR machinist from steam engine days that took me under his wing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My Dad's Father died when my Father was 18, His Mother, my Grandmother died when I was 16. My Mothers parents both died when she was a little girl.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#29]
My grandfather outlived my father. My mother's father died when I was 5 months. 1 great grandfather made it until I was a senior in high school.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:36:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#30]
My dad's dad passed away three years before I was born, unfortunately. He was a B-17 pilot during WW2 and I would have loved to get to know him.

My mom's father lived into his 90's, unfortunately. He was a filthy fucking pederast who molested all three of his daughters, even impregnating one of them (my mom's younger sister), as well as at least two kids my grandmother babysat. He spent time in prison for it, but should been shanked in the shower while there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Never knew my Mom's dad.

My Dad's dad, I knew.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Maternal grandfather was a WWII vet and overall sounds like someone I would be fond of. He died ~20 years before I was born.

Paternal grandfather died when I was 17. As a child/teenager I wasn't super close to him. I now reload using his press, his dies, and sometimes his components. I sometimes shoot his (now my dad's) guns. As I get older, I wish I got to know him as an adult more. I don't think he knew how to socialize with kids.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope, both died before I was 2
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Both my Dad's dad and my Mom's dad have long since passed.  Both in 1991 when I was only six years old.  Kinda feel cheated not knowing either of them as grown man.  

Dad's dad, Paw Hub, was one of 11 children.  His father was hit by a car when he stepped off of a bus, so Paw Hub grew up quick.  He left school around the 7th grade to work on the family farm.  When Pearl Harbor happened, he volunteered for the Navy so there would be one less mouth to feed.  I'm told when he got paid, he would keep enough money for cigarettes and send the rest back home to my Great Grandmother.  After the war he went to work for the railroad on the bridge gang, and by the time he retired in the 80s he was a bridge superintendent.  Dad says he knew every bridge from Houston to New Orleans, when it was built, what it was made out of, etc.  I think I would've enjoyed sitting on the porch with him, listening to stories from his time in the Pacific, or growing up in the depression.  

Mom's dad, Papaw Leo, wasn't old enough to fight during WWII, but went into the Air Force in the late 40s, early 50s.  He was French, but that side of the family didn't come to Louisiana with the Cajuns in the 1700s, they came directly from France after the Civil War.  He spoke French until he went to school and was forced to learn English. They say he was a phenomenal cook.  He used to go camping with my Dad and my Mom's brothers.  He would cook while the rest of them played bouray and drank beer.  I do pretty well in the kitchen, but I would've loved to have been taught by him.  

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Both were great men in their own ways.  I admire both of them.
View Quote

Died in my early twenties. I'm 47 now and have a 8 year old boy. He has his great grandfather's name. I really wish he could have met him. He was a great man but I suspect we'll be hearing that story over and over in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#36]
I was in my late 20’s when they died, 30’s when grandmas passed.

My grandpa loved trout fishing, but was legally blind.

I would take him fishing whenever I could.

He still out fished me…
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
One died before I was born the other when I was about 15.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thoughtcrime] [#38]
He (my mom's dad) helped me move into the dorm when I was a freshman entering college.

Left me a nice card with this at the bottom   'PS: KPIP'

That was the last time I saw him alive.

This just made it real dusty here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I knew my paternal grandfather.
He was a legitimate badass.

When he was 80 he went to Gibson’s and bought a pistol.
Had me and my father pick him up at the old folks home and drop him off to shop.
Didn’t tell us what he was buying.

My dad got a call later. B.T. went back to the nursing home and chased the maintenance man into a closet and threatened to kill him.

Apparently the maintenance man would drink some during the day, and would get loud and abusive to the old people. My grandfather had had enough.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
He died when I was 18. I still have dreams that he shows up in  20 years later.

View Quote

My grandmother died when I was 18, almost 30 years ago.  She still pops up in a dream from time to time.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thoughtcrime:
He (my mom's dad) helped me move into the dorm when I was a freshman entering college.

Left me a nice card with this at the bottom   'PS: KPIP'

That was the last time I saw him alive.

This just made it real dusty here.
View Quote

Keep Pecker In Pants?

Sounds like a great guy!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#42]
My father's father died when I was two. He died of a heart attack on a Monday morning down at the train yard in Diboll Texas starting up a railroad locomotive just like he has done since 1919 when he became a railroad engineer at the age of nineteen which was hardly ever heard of back in those days or even today.

My mother's father joined the US Army Air Corps in 1926. He retired a thirty years in Master Sgt which was the highest rank obtainable back in those times before the "super grades," became available later on.

He was stationed among many other places, in New Guinea with the 5th Air Force in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, for two years between 1943-1945.

When the 5th Air Force got B-25 Mitchell gunships with cannons mounted in the nose, my grandfather was one of the first to operate such guns at sea on search and destroy patrols mainly in the Sea of Bismarck looking for jap troop movements in which they discovered a few.

He was credited with sinking several enemy troop ships and Japanese freighters hauling troops and equipment from Raubal, a Japanese stronghold in the northern Solomon island chain to the north east coast of New Guinea for troop deployment and re-supply at Lae.

I don't really know how many Japanese combat deaths that Grampa was responsible for, but I had another veteran of that era in those same kind of Mitchells told me it was likely in the hundreds at least and possibly many more.

He did tell me that he did shoot part of the bridge off of a Japanese freighter and then they flew back around and fired on it again several times until it sank and then fired on the Japanese who were in the water until none of them appeared to be alive after several passes to assess the damage had been made.

Grampa said that the concussion of the cannon rounds in amongst the Japanese troops in the water were devastating and would wound, kill, and drown many men.

The sharks would show up to feed in the hundreds grampa said.

Considering their enemy though, I can't find much fault in some of the things that they did like skip bombing them in jungle camps and holes in the ground on top of jagged hills and blow them away as they came out because of the drone of their aircraft engines which I never got but okay.

He died when I was thirty years old at the age of 87.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Both died when I was 21. One to cancer 6 months before basic training and the other to suicide about a month after graduating basic training.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I was fortunate to have 3 out of 4 grandparents around well into my 30’s.

My dad’s dad passed away when he was 60 or so. Dad was 30, and I was an infant. Grandpa didn’t want to be a dirt farmer, so he ran off and joined the Nationalist Army, first to fight the Japanese, then to fight the Chicoms.

He became a doctor during his time in the Army, and he married a nurse (grandma). He was part of diplomatic missions to the Middle East and Africa to bolster the Republic of China’s presence on the world stage.

Later on, he was an OB/GYN, and my other grandmother (mom’s mom) swears he was the attending physician for my mother’s birth.

Other grandpa lived to be 85. I remember him by what he did when I was growing up. He ran a bookshop, and I was his helper. I loaded newspapers onto the racks, was a cashier, helped keep the books and magazines neatly arranged.

Later on, he taught me to drive, and I’d go on stock runs with him. I wasn’t around for the Rodney King riots, but Election Day 2004 found me on the roof of his store with an M1A.

He was always there with a smile and a kind word, a peaceful Buddha in the middle of his wife and daughters screeching at each other and at him.

My last happy memory of him was seeing him crawling around on his hands a knees, playing with my infant son, his great grandson, and the two of them having the time of their lives.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine on my mom's side passed away in 2010.
On my dads side, he's still with us and works in the yard everyday
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#46]
My grandparents were my heroes, and the smartest people I have ever known. I lost my maternal grandfather at 6. My paternal grandmother lived until my late 30's. My other grandparents lived until my late 20's. I was blessed by their influence.  I hope to be a shadow of the man my paternal grandfather was.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#47]
I was in my 40s before I started losing grandparents.  All gone within 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#48]
One was.  He died a few days before my wedding.

The other died when my dad was 10.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#49]
My Last grandparent passed when I was 19.

My paternal grandmother. i did everything i could to get to know her. In then end I learned very little. She wasn't all that talkative... no stories. No lessons. But I appreciate my time with her none the less.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Nope.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top