Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2019 10:07:20 PM EDT
I've been reading up on them and their history.

Their track record is pretty damn impressive to say the very least.

I'm currently reading a book on the Raid at Entebbe
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trained with,  bUt never worked with.  What would you like to know from a very limited exposure.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trained with,  bUt never worked with.  What would you like to know from a very limited exposure.
View Quote
Pics of IDF hotties?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Pics of IDF hotties?
View Quote
This,

Fuck any other potential question
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Israelis trained us how to use MAPATS,if that counts.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My eldest son attended the Israeli Counter-Terrorist School,, at Mitkan Adam, when he was in the USMC.  He visits this forum often, and has some great pics.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad was with them in 1948.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
At one time I was going to join due to proven Jewish lineage. But no way I was doing Hebrew.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I have done some K9 training with the IDF. Interesting group. They can party.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I see them at Red Flag, casual conversations mostly. Guys are easy to bs with, females are easy to look at.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
IDF's are much smaller. I mostly like to work on MDF's, mostly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@BrandonP
View Quote
Came to put out the Bat-Signal as well. BrandonP is an awesome resource in the IDF-AR thread.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
IDF girls are hot. That's all I've got
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are talking about the war fighting ability, the IDF is a solid meh....

They are closed to a citizen militia than a western military. They had been fighting mostly inbreed goat-puckers and being so small of a place, no logistic to speak of.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very cool, any stories
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Sold some tech to them. They pay well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
When it means that your entire nation and it's population will likely die if you lose, it is a great motivator to win.

For those so inclined, please pray for peace in Israel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I have worked with two guys that served in the IDF. They were both Americans.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Off topic a little.  The Israelis did a raid on his airport
This is a great movie

The Last King of Scotland

The Last King of Scotland | #TBT Trailer | 20th Century FOX
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I took care of an IDF commando who was injured while training US Army soldiers. He fell on the from a rope ?fast rope? and broke a bunch of bones.  Helicopter was involved, but I’m not savvy on terms.  The men/his commandos protecting him had UZIs under the suit coats in the hospital.  I never felt safer in an inner city hospital.  Dudes who can shoot appropriately armed.  Seems normal to me, but some of the doctors & RNs were nervous about them....”what if they decide to start shooting?”

Our Jewish senior trauma surgeon said to be more worried about the psychos who might bomb a hospital to kill a hero, not the men protecting him.

The commando was apparently quite famous in Israel & was involved in Entebbe.  He was a nice, regular guy.  I wish I remembered his name.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the occasional MPOE?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Something to look at while we wait for something interesting

Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have worked with them operationally both inside and outside the military.

What are you trying to ask?

Couple observations:

The line unit guys I dealt with were typically "meh". Not great, not bad, lot of difference from one to another in terms of competency and quality.

Sayeret Matkal and Yamas guys were great across the board, but really frustrating for some of my colleagues due to a lack of understanding as to why they would do some of the things they would.

Outside of Israel I have worked with both Shabak and Mossad a few times. Shabakniks are generally very competent, though I disagree with their methods in some instances- and I wasn't always sure when they were trying to fuck with me and when they just genuinely weren't sure what was going on.  Mossad guys were...really difficult to get anything done with. They insisted on doing things their way, constantly, and so did we. But neither of us were in our own country, so we didn't really have the ability to just put our foot down. Also pretty sure they were convinced I'm actually Russian, and only possibly Jewish, so that also didn't help.

Oh, and all of their special guys were in far better shape than I'd expect of many folks in the US military outside of SOCOM or SOC units.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I got that one!

Duh... meant to quote the IDF vs MDF post
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This is a great movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_W7PC6NnN4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is a great movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_W7PC6NnN4
He earned those paratrooper wings in Isreal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:50:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do they rate and why have they had the success they've had
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do they rate and why have they had the success they've had
View Quote
Just updated my first response with some thoughts.

Just a little more though;

They are really good at SOF stuff, but overall, honestly, they are a pretty JV team.

Think of it this way:

The US military is an NFL team.

The IDF is a pretty good NCAA team. They have a few players that could be NFL, but by and large aren't going to make it into football after college.

Thing is, all their enemies for the most part might as well be recreational club teams. So IDF spanks the shit out of them and looks good doing it.

Easy enough?
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just updated my first response with some thoughts.

Just a little more though;

They are really good at SOF stuff, but overall, honestly, they are a pretty JV team.

Think of it this way:

The US military is an NFL team.

The IDF is a pretty good NCAA team. They have a few players that could be NFL, but by and large aren't going to make it into football after college.

Thing is, all their enemies for the most part might as well be recreational club teams. So IDF spanks the shit out of them and looks good doing it.

Easy enough?
View Quote
Is this because they don't travel around the world and are more of a defense force for their small territory?
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is this because they don't travel around the world and are more of a defense force for their small territory?
View Quote
No. I don't believe so. I believe it is because they are a lot of draftees.  You have a harder time producing quality folks with draftees- this is part of why the Marine Corps refused to accept draftees for much of WWII.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I met one that was working security detail at a hockey game during the '88 Olympics.
She was nothing less than fascinating and tried very hard to explain the Israeli position in the ME, talked quite a lot about Munich.
I could tell she was quite hardened and squared away.

Just something about her said "Don't fuck with me".
Stood up at the railing with her for an entire period overlooking the arena.
She answered all my questions as best as she could and was happy to chat.

That game gave me new found respect for Israel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:07:00 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread delivers
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I’m “friends” with a former IDF IAF helicopter pilot, now with the airlines.

Extremely anal rententive, risk averse pilot.

HUGE anti-gun Leftist. Hates Conservative America yet lives a very comfortable life in this country.

Not a huge defender of Israel. There’s a word for that type of person...

I do what I can to avoid him. I’m sure he’s an anomaly among the IDF types.

TC
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I've hosted them at Bragg. The rule is never leave them in an office by themselves. More than once the Israelis have been caught going through desks and file cabinets.  I will say that their version of CQB is different than our version.

Pro tip: Much like the Egyptian 777 you don't want to be rescued by Israeli Yamam.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you are talking about the war fighting ability, the IDF is a solid meh....

They are closed to a citizen militia than a western military. They had been fighting mostly inbreed goat-puckers and being so small of a place, no logistic to speak of.
View Quote
They have a track record of 70 years being undefeated
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Very cool, any stories
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very cool, any stories
I will have to post a little more when I have time to write a paragraph or 2
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I suppose that depends on what you mean by undefeated. They got their shit pushed in by LH during the 2006 (?) Lebanon incursion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well the people who fought in the 50s and 60s had a far different mentality than the soft conscripts of today.  I think Israel isn't that tough anymore.. but like others have said their opponents are a bunch of inbred retards who probably get confused which end of the rocket the rocket comes out of.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well the people who fought in the 50s and 60s had a far different mentality than the soft conscripts of today.  I think Israel isn't that tough anymore.. but like others have said their opponents are a bunch of inbred retards who probably get confused which end of the rocket the rocket comes out of.
View Quote
Israel is up against Iran through their surrogates, Lebanese Hezbollah.

As I mentioned 2006 was an eye opener for Israel. Are there still goat herder engagements? Yes, occasionally but the the real threat is Iran's presence in the region, Lebanon and Syria, both in terms of IRGC QF as well as surrogates (LH).  Iran is a serous threat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Israel is up against Iran through their surrogates, Lebanese Hezbollah.

As I mentioned 2006 was an eye opener for Israel. Are there still goat herder engagements? Yes, occasionally but the the real threat is Iran's presence in the region, Lebanon and Syria, both in terms of IRGC QF as well as surrogates (LH).  Iran is a serous threat.
View Quote
Do you think Iran's proxy puppet gets much formal training? Or just basic small arms small squad stuff at best?

Do you think there's any Iranians actually fighting with them directly giving them actual aid beyond just equipment?

I look at some of the pics of their hotties  in uniform and don't really see any of them holding off the Hezbollah horde.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do you think Iran's proxy puppet gets much formal training? Or just basic small arms small squad stuff at best?

Do you think there's any Iranians actually fighting with them directly giving them actual aid beyond just equipment?

I look at some of the pics of their hotties  in uniform and don't really see any of them holding off the Hezbollah horde.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As I mentioned , LH pushed their shit in. As in fucked them up, particularly in ground combat urban environments.  LH used tunnels, massive amounts of IEDs, ATGMs, etc..to great effect and generally out fought the Israelis.

Following that incursion the Israelis had a massive come to Jesus, re-evaluating their tactics, conscript training and a host of other things.

Some open source data...

Ground war

An Israeli soldier tosses a grenade into a Hezbollah bunker

IDF Caterpillar D9N armored bulldozers destroy a Hezbollah bunker.

War map, "Hezbollah Defensive System in Southern Lebanon", 2006
Hezbollah engaged in guerrilla warfare with IDF ground forces, fighting from well-fortified positions, often in urban areas, and attacking with small, well-armed units. Hezbollah fighters were highly trained, and were equipped with flak jackets, night-vision goggles, communications equipment, and sometimes with Israeli uniforms and equipment. An Israeli soldier who participated in the war said that Hezbollah fighters were "nothing like Hamas or the Palestinians. They are trained and highly qualified. All of us were kind of surprised."[150]

During engagements with the IDF, Hezbollah concentrated on inflicting losses on the IDF, believing an unwillingness to absorb steady losses to be Israel's strategic weakness.[151]

Hezbollah countered IDF armor through the use of sophisticated Iranian-made anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs). According to Merkava tank program administration, 52 Merkava main battle tanks were damaged (45 of them by different kinds of ATGM), missiles penetrated 22 tanks, but only 5 tanks were destroyed, one of them by an improvised explosive device (IED). The Merkava tanks that were penetrated were predominantly Mark II and Mark III models, but five Mark IVs were also penetrated. All but two of these tanks were rebuilt and returned to service.[122]

The IDF declared itself satisfied with the Merkava Mark IV's performance during the war. Hezbollah caused additional casualties using ATGMs to collapse buildings onto Israeli troops sheltering inside.[122] As a result, IDF units did not linger in any one area for an extended period of time.[150] Hezbollah fighters often used tunnels to emerge quickly, fire an anti-tank missile, and then disappear again.[150]

On 19 July a force from the Maglan special forces unit seized a fortified Hezbollah dugout adjacent to the Shaked post; two IDF soldiers and five Hezbollah operatives were killed in the battle.[152]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have worked with two guys that served in the IDF. They were both Americans.
View Quote
I have a friend who was in the IDF, and had a billet in communications. They wanted to shift him to some sort of 'intelligence' billet.
In order for him to d that they wanted him to give up his US citizenship. It was a 'hard no' from him so they switched him to their medical corps.

He's now an anesthesiologist running his own group here in the states, pulling down HUGE $ per year
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#46]
The Israelis have three things going for them...

Western tactics
Backs against the wall
Western tech

When you combine these three things, they are a major force in the middle east. I also know a few of their special forces guys and they are indeed bad ass with a shoot first, ask questions later attitude. My family (girls) that are in the army are just doing their time to get out. They will not be career militarily.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
What you did....
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Israelis have three things going for them...

Western tactics
Backs against the wall
Western tech

When you combine these three things, they are a major force in the middle east. I also know a few of their special forces guys and they are indeed bad ass with a shoot first, ask questions later attitude. My family (girls) that are in the army are just doing their time to get out. They will not be career militarily.
View Quote
And Western money.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Those hot girls you see and adore are a big part of the Israeli Army problems. A lot of these girls become instructors - shooting instructors, tank instructors, all kinds of instructors. But what are their qualifications? Are they life-long hardened experienced soldiers? No, they are girls just out of high school who completed a quick course on how to be an instructor. They are passing their lack of knowledge to the combat troops that will actually need the skills in the field. It is a bad system. Then the soldiers reach their unit, they have to learn from more experienced folks how to actually do things. Many never do learn. Israel would be much better off having a solid NCO corps who can pass real-world knowledge to the conscripts.

Lack of discipline, use of private cell phones on duty, parents who interfere in military affairs - all of that contributes to reducing IDF's fighting capability. That being said, Israeli reservists who have many years of deployments and drills under their belts are a very formidable fighting force. They might not have the latest issued equipment, they look like a ragtag bunch when mobilized, but they are experienced and motivated. They are the backbone of Israeli military.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I suppose that depends on what you mean by undefeated. They got their shit pushed in by LH during the 2006 (?) Lebanon incursion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, that was a rude awakening to them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top