Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had a couple billion and I was hedged all over the place (stocks, bonds, metals, cash, businesses, etc.) to insure my fortune, it almost seems criminally irresponsible not to further hedge your holdings with crypto.  Especially considering how cheap that insurance really would be.

That said, it's hard to argue economic matter with Buffett.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Will you be at the head of the line when the sell off panic begins?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But what "problem" is crypto currently looking to solve?

My life is already pretty easy with cash and credit/debit cards.

You're examples of computers and the internet solved critical problems and/or improved life somehow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our own US dollar is fiat currency but it's accepted by everybody and that is its stability right there.

There is no REAL currency anymore.  Nothing that can be traded in on demand for precious metals.

"The internet will never be a big thing."   "The CD will be with us forever, it gives us perfect sound."

"Nobody needs more than 640K of RAM in their computer." (Bill Gates said that once upon a time.)

Things change.  Cryptocurrency,  well, the truth is we're in the dawn of a new era and NO it's not some idiot
with a flashlight hiding behind a rock.

Cryptocurrency is not going to go away, it is going to grow and expand and there will be a natural selection process
that will kill off the weakest currencies and leave the stronger ones to continue to battle for dominance until there
are finally just a couple.

Of course those who are most heavily invested in the old system of money will denigrate the competition.  That's to be expected.
But what "problem" is crypto currently looking to solve?

My life is already pretty easy with cash and credit/debit cards.

You're examples of computers and the internet solved critical problems and/or improved life somehow.
It gives us decentralization and trust at varying levels of efficiency.  Sort of like bit torrent for whatever you can dream up.

Take online gambling.  We need a "house" to manage bets and payouts.  To do that they need a lot of overhead- employees, property, servers, exposure to risk, etc.  They can do it pretty efficiently and you can trust them to pay out, but at a significant cost to the consumer.  Some crypto currency projects can have entire businesses built on top of them.  This distributes the overhead across an extremely large network that is trustworthy, efficient, and very low cost to the consumer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quicker and cheaper than money. Also no bank account necessary.
More secure than your Credit card.

Everyone is taking about crypto currency.

What about all the other block chain coins?

The ones based on loans or storage.

Forget about Bitcoin.

Learn about Blockchain.

Bitcoin may go away but Blockchain is here to stay.
View Quote
Quicker and cheaper than what? Handing over some paper or writing a check or swiping a card?

Seriously, what's the benefit of no bank account? Are people looking to hide their millions?

I've never been charged for purchases on my credit card that I didn't make.

I know everyone is talking about crypto currency but all I ever hear is about how they're trying to make money off of it. That alone makes it a crappy currency. They see it as an investment, not a legitimate currency.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It gives us decentralization and trust at varying levels of efficiency.  Sort of like bit torrent for whatever you can dream up.

Take online gambling.  We need a "house" to manage bets and payouts.  To do that they need a lot of overhead- employees, property, servers, exposure to risk, etc.  They can do it pretty efficiently and you can trust them to pay out, but at a significant cost to the consumer.  Some crypto currency projects can have entire businesses built on top of them.  This distributes the overhead across an extremely large network that is trustworthy, efficient, and very low cost to the consumer.
View Quote
So one of these currencies will take off as a legitimate currency because of online gambling? What percentage of the country gambles online?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quicker and cheaper than what? Handing over some paper or writing a check or swiping a card?

Seriously, what's the benefit of no bank account? Are people looking to hide their millions?

I know everyone is talking about crypto currency but all I ever hear is about how they're trying to make money off of it. That alone makes it a crappy currency. They see it as an investment, not a legitimate currency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quicker and cheaper than money. Also no bank account necessary.
More secure than your Credit card.

Everyone is taking about crypto currency.

What about all the other block chain coins?

The ones based on loans or storage.

Forget about Bitcoin.

Learn about Blockchain.

Bitcoin may go away but Blockchain is here to stay.

Merchant services are a (fairly significant) business expense that consumers pay for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
People trust the system already in place. Good luck wooing them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A 'currency' made up out of thin air, backed by and based on absolutely nothing other than the belief that if I buy it for $1 today I can sell it for $10 later.  Anyone who DOESN'T see that this will come to a bad ending is delusional.

I'll admit that the thought to dabble with a small amount of seed money has crossed my mind, and I like many others probably COULD make significant money by playing the short game.  But then I realized if I did it successfully, all I've really done is effectively stolen money from some poor moron down the line who thought this was a real, legitimate thing.  I'm not okay with that.
View Quote
I could see that 80% or even 90% of coins could well go bust because they don't solve anything in the long run. But there certainly are technologies involved in some of these entities that are changing how things are done in the world. An example is the Ripple network possibly replacing the Swift network. That is going on with banks around the world right now. When you bring that kind of utility to the marketplace there's no question that there is money to be made for investors. It's no different than if you invested in Microsoft, google, or Apple back in the day.

But if investors feel its too volatile, or speculative to invest in that's their right. But make no mistake many people will become wealthy investing in these coins. It's not for everyone though. You gotta know your limits or you could go bust. That's true in any bubble: tech, stock, RE, beanie babies, whatever.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So one of these currencies will take off as a legitimate currency because of online gambling? What percentage of the country gambles online?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its just one example.

What percentage of the country listens to streaming music?   How about a decentralized network with no overhead like pandora or spotify?   In theory, the consumer could pay less and the artist compensated proportional to the amount of play time during the billing cycle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Isn't he famous for this? He knows his opinion will shift markets and has been known to buy the dips he creates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess that means he's finally about to buy in.
Isn't he famous for this? He knows his opinion will shift markets and has been known to buy the dips he creates.
He spent the last 8 years 69-ing with the Obama administration.  I mean, he's got to be giving us rubes his honest opinion on this, right...?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, like the tech bubble from the 90s is still going strong.

Classic "this money train will never stop rolling! Wooooo!", deeply flawed mentality.
View Quote
Surely this "shopping on the Internet" fad will be coming to an end any day now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is following the same path of every other Ponzi Scheme in history........except this time unlike Madoff, and Ponzi no one is sure where it comes from.
no one knows for sure who invented it. There are some suspicions, but no one knows for sure. That in itself makes it a good investment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, but it appears we are in the minority around here.
Everyone loves the thought of the average joe striking it rich.

Yea, some people made a lot of money off bitcoin, A LOT of money.
People see this and gravitate towards it which inflates the bubble even more. Those early people who made a shit ton were also very lucky, it could have also gone the other way.

Now no one really knows what will happen with bitcoin. Personally I don't see the point in it. It seems too unstable for an actual currency, seems open to hackers, transactions take a long time, it is trackable, so what is it? The only real value is what a smallish group of people say it is. Sure our currency is also kinda like that but the group is much larger, making it more stable.
Right now people are seeing it as an investment because people before them got rich, hence the bubble. I think it will pop when people trying to strike it rich move on to the next latest and greatest.
It is following the same path of every other Ponzi Scheme in history........except this time unlike Madoff, and Ponzi no one is sure where it comes from.
no one knows for sure who invented it. There are some suspicions, but no one knows for sure. That in itself makes it a good investment.
A highly volatile, purely electronic currency that is extremely vulnerable to theft and hacking, whose origins are unknown and which is subject to zero regulation.  Oh and there's a fixed total quantity of it so it could be very easily manipulated by those who hold the biggest amounts of it.

Sounds like a great investment
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I mined a bunch of altcoins years ago that already are worth way more than I ever expected. I probably should cash out now but fuck it I'm riding it out to see where it goes. Even if it all goes to zero I'm not really out anything.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Merchant services are a (fairly significant) business expense that consumers pay for.
View Quote
I wouldn't call a couple percent fairly significant. It's not like you're not going to buy that $100 item over $2.

So whatever crypto currency that emerges won't have a fee for transactions?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Its just one example.

What percentage of the country listens to streaming music?   How about a decentralized network with no overhead like pandora or spotify?   In theory, the consumer could pay less and the artist compensated proportional to the amount of play time during the billing cycle.
View Quote
I use pandora all the time. It's already free, with ads and limited skips of course.

What else? If something will actually make life better I'm all for it. But I'm just not seeing it yet...
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Besides the historical boom/bust pattern of "new" commodities, what is going to happen when blockchain meets up with a quantum computer?

Just how far away is our NSA, or the Japanese, Chinese, Russians, ect, from fielding one?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Everyone over sixty doesn’t even understand it. I keep hearing this notion “It’s created out of nothing!”

$$$$ are created out of nothing.

My mother tried to tell me that no, it’s the full faith and credit, Yada yada.  I said that the USAs credit has been taxed away by fiat currency. The Federal Reserve prints a dollar, so they can steal your fraction of a cent, and it’s been that way since 1916.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
You didn’t read anything I wrote.

Just keep yelling at clouds on the internet.

You know that place that had a huge bubble in the 90s.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wouldn't call a couple percent fairly significant. It's not like you're not going to buy that $100 item over $2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of places offer cash discounts.  A demand is there.  Transaction fees vary a lot between cryptocurrencies, but I don't think its out of line to think a few cents or less could become the norm in whatever tech is finally adopted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You didn't read anything I wrote.

Just keep yelling at clouds on the internet.

You know that place that had a huge bubble in the 90s.
View Quote
I did. I was asking for an explanation of each of the claims.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Everyone over sixty doesn’t even understand it. I keep hearing this notion “It’s created out of nothing!”

My mother tried to tell me that no, it’s the full faith and credit, Yada yada.  I said that the USAs credit has been taxed away by fiat currency. The Federal Reserve prints a dollar, so they can steal your fraction of a cent, and it’s been that way since 1916.
View Quote
Your mother is older and wiser than you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/10/buffett-says-cyrptocurrencies-will-almost-certainly-end-badly.html

"I get into enough trouble with things I think I know something about," he added. "Why in the world should I take a long or short position in something I don't know anything about."
View Quote
Maybe he should shut his pie hole if he admittedly knows nothing about them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Cryptocurrency is the equivalent to the Beanie Baby surge in the late 90s.  You all are fools.  Have fun losing money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A highly volatile, purely electronic currency that is extremely vulnerable to theft and hacking, whose origins are unknown and which is subject to zero regulation.  Oh and there's a fixed total quantity of it so it could be very easily manipulated by those who hold the biggest amounts of it.

View Quote
As opposed to a currency with no fixed amount and can drop in value to zero because the government decides to run the printing presses non-stop? Enjoy wiping your ass with Franklins.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As opposed to a currency with no fixed amount and can drop in value to zero because the government decides to run the printing presses non-stop? Enjoy wiping your ass with Franklins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

News Flash: the value of cryptocurrency can drop to zero.

I predict it will do exactly that. Sell now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Same here, I've already written that money off.  It's probably gone forever, but perhaps it could become a nice surprise.

I'm concerned about the people who are cashing out 401ks and buying crypto on credit cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have around $300 "invested" in some alt coins. It's down huge from last week, but still up 300% plus from when I bought in three weeks ago. It's play money, and I wouldn't put anything but play money into it. If it grows 100% per year in the short term, I'll be happy. I'm not in the crowd that thinks a few hundred bucks will buy a Lamborghini or a house in a year.
Same here, I've already written that money off.  It's probably gone forever, but perhaps it could become a nice surprise.

I'm concerned about the people who are cashing out 401ks and buying crypto on credit cards.
me too except I didnt even go $300.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It isn't investing, it is speculating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cryptocurrency I believe will be one of the biggest scams exposed of all time.  The currency has nothing backing it like US currency which we have all the asset of America.  The currency is artificially bloated by the more and more people buy into it.  To risky of an investment in my opinion and I am not going to touch it.  Also I am not old I am a smart investor and made lots of money doing it by not taking stupid risky chances with my money.
Lots of people have made money on cyrpto at much higher returns than traditional investments.
Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I predict you will choke on a pretzel this week. Buy life insurance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The only ones getting a bad deal will be who ever is standing when the music stops.
View Quote
Bingo
I don’t really see crypto being used widespread as currency, just as a 24/7/365 global stock market with its own movers and shakers.

It’s no different than gambling on stocks in that regard. There will be booms and busts. If you can’t afford to lose that money then you shouldn’t be playing in either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

News Flash: Life insurance won't save my life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cryptocurrency is the equivalent to the Beanie Baby surge in the late 90s.  You all are fools.  Have fun losing money.
View Quote
Even if that's true it belies the fact that plenty of people make tons of money in every bubble. Like most of life, timing is everything.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]
News flash: No one gives a fuck what you predict.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can  you tell me who runs the Federal Reserve?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#34]
#fakenews

Here is one headline I just saw from MSNBC

"If you own bitcoin, Buffett's cryptocurrency predictions are scary. How to cope"
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
1913, actually.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bingo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cryptocurrency I believe will be one of the biggest scams exposed of all time.  The currency has nothing backing it like US currency which we have all the asset of America.  The currency is artificially bloated by the more and more people buy into it.  To risky of an investment in my opinion and I am not going to touch it.  Also I am not old I am a smart investor and made lots of money doing it by not taking stupid risky chances with my money.
Lots of people have made money on cyrpto at much higher returns than traditional investments.
Bingo.
Pretty funny reading this. You’re speculating on stocks too. You’re betting on a companies performance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
“You know it's time to sell when shoeshine boys give you investment tips.”

Sums it up pretty well, regardless of what the investment is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#38]
While Bitcoin is the first and number one. It will drop to a reasonable price against the new  competition.

Those who bought it high will feel it the hardest.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Will you be at the head of the line when the sell off panic begins?
View Quote
The fiat I've invested is as good as lost. I'm not selling. If you aren't knocking on death's doorstep like Buffett, I'd say all of the naysayers should at the very least understand what crypto is and the real world possibility that the USD won't always be accepted as a unit of measure on the global exchange.

If you're under 40, taking a 10% high risk investment is money you can always make back in the future. Or don't and tell the rest of us told you so when it goes to zero. I, at least, with adoption, see real use utility and merit in cryptocurrency as a whole. Willing to take that risk/reward profile.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, and the Secret Service won’t heimlich you either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most retail businesses would kill for 2%.  Think about your local grocery store,IIRC, they operate on an 8% margin.  If they could add 1% that's a 12% increase in profits.  That's huge.  I transferred $300 of VTC, one of the crypto I'm bullish on, from an exchange to my wallet for .001 VTC or 7/10 of a penny's. A credit card would cost the store ¢35.for the same sale.  Store would kill for that level of fees.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes, let the 90 yr old guy inform me on cutting edge technology.
View Quote
Let's put that comment into perspective. It's a 90 year old guy that could buy your entire bloodline past, present, and future. He's where he's at for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#43]
He must be loading up he's trying to scare out the suckers
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm waiting for the starship to come take me away. Any day now...
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's a bunch of people rushing to get rich off something that is perceived to be rare and new.  In reality it is speculators paying real world money to own a piece of a math problem that the overwhelming majority of retailers do not accept as currency for transactions.  What a wonderful asset to possess.
View Quote
Yup.

I saw it's value amongst the dark web types where the value of it was honored by that group.   It was accepted and it had it's benefits.

All this rediculous gambling that these things are going to be universally accepted and used for transactions is laughable.

There will be a correction coming for 90% of this crap.    If one or two should survive it will probably be a rediculous gold mine for those that got in at the right time.   Depends on if any major corporations wind up backing it.

I get that some companies accept payment with various coins now but I am not going to buy in high and have my value drop while trying to use the coins to pay when I have cash.

Too risky for me.   Would have been nice if I had been mining 10 years ago when I first heard of them.   That would have been acceptable risk to me mining or buying when it was about as free as water.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tell me more about the backing for US Currency and how it's not bloated.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
#fakenews

Here is one headline I just saw from MSNBC

"If you own bitcoin, Buffett's cryptocurrency predictions are scary. How to cope"
View Quote

Are you shitting me?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ve only made money and have very little invested. If I lost everything I have in right now I’d still come out way ahead.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Eventually, he is right.  Bitcoin isn't close to the end-all, be-all for crypto.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Eventually, he is right.  Bitcoin isn't close to the end-all, be-all for crypto.
View Quote
He is right. Buffett is all-in on Verge.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top