Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2020 12:22:34 PM EDT
In this thread I will discuss and solicit help for my trailer build.

Backstory, I drive an SUV (Lexus GX460) and I have never owned a trailer of any kind. I know that as a home owner I probably should, just for picking stuff up or whatever, but just never got around to it. I did get a hitch cargo thing and have a roof rack, so we've always gotten by but it's annoying sometimes. But anyway I've been wanting to get into something like a camping trailer that could also be used rarely for general utility, or on the off chance we need to bug out.
I'm married, and we have a 1.5 and 4.5 year old, and while we all like being outdoors I'm not sure how the camping aspect will go so I don't want to spend a fortune on this adventure if I'm just going to give up and sell it in a year.

I was half searching and reading about Overland trailers, plus watching Expedition Overland on Amazon and it's pretty cool what they have. Basically it's used for general cargo, cooking, and they have a roof top tent on the top. Theirs is light and mobile and when I looked into them, start at like $8,000+ and up. I could rent one locally to try for $100 a night.

So the other day this puppy pops up, for sale locally, for $100. It came with a Lock n' Roll hitch set up for mobility. It has FJ cruiser wheels and tires, which are the same lug pattern as mine. It comes with 2 of those hitch carriers, a roof top cargo carrier, 2 mortar tube surplus boxes,  some jerry cans, and a few others. It's already wired for lights and formerly sported a RTT, so I figure what the hell let's do this, worst case I can get my money back out or part it out for my money.

Picked it up today and I was really surprised how easily it hooked up and towed. It didn't really feel like there was anything back there, and I had no trouble starting, stopping, or with turns. My 460 will start to roll a bit on it's own from a dead stop with no foot on the brake, and it would still do so even with this puppy back there.

First step is going to be cleaning it up, pressure washing, maybe some sanding and then rough paint. I figure we'll touch up the black areas and then decide if we want to do anything differently. I may rhino line the whole damn thing, too.

What suggestions, ideas, tricks, or hacks would you suggest for making this thing better, nicer, and more user friendly?

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The trailer is 6'6" wide including the boxes, which hang over the sides a bit. It's 7' long without the tongue. The box opens (lid is heavy as shit) and it's 4' wide by 5' long. I believe the bottom of the box is the original trailer and the lid thing was added on, but don't have a ton of info since it's obviously not new.

this is how the previous owner had it all set up with the roof top tent. One side was devoted to cooking stuff and the other was recovery.

Attachment Attached File

This is the ass end as it sits now. Box opens from the back and is hinged so it goes up (hinge is to the front)
Attachment Attached File

This is the front end. I thought the jerry cans were all mounted and stuff when I saw the first pics but they were just propped on. Oh well, for this price I really can't bitch.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks super cool.  Tagging this for progress.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m calling the police. You stole that thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It appears you got an extremely good deal on that!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Pressure washed it today and I’m pretty sure that made it worse somehow? Chunks of black paint were coming out and it’s peach/pink under that. Oh well, I think I’ll be stripping more than I thought. Here’s from the side:
Attachment Attached File

And this is inside the tub. This seems to be the thickest area of funk.
Attachment Attached File

What’s the best way to clean this up? Paint scraper? And then what’s after that, wire brush with an air tool?

I have never rehabbed a trailer or anything, but I have air tools and a compressor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
first, figure out what you want to do with it camping and bugging out
how much food, water, electrical do you need?  etc
how much crap do you have to carry?
camping stuff, guns and ammo, whatever

post a list of each of those

then assess what it's going to take to get that on the road.
does it have brake and turn lights?  does it have to be registered in your state?
make sure it has appropriate chains, and get someone to show you how to connect them properly
and decide if you need to do anything to the suspension, and what your loaded ground clearance will be and departure angle

you'll also want to think about security.  how are you going to lock all the storage boxes and keep the whole trailer from getting stolen

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
first, figure out what you want to do with it camping and bugging out thinking about making it decent enough to camp on camp grounds or road side basically, so self sufficient for no more than 5 days.
how much food, water, electrical do you need?  etc I figure 5 days worth of food for 2 adults 2 kids. Same with water. Electric I think I'll probably bring my 2000 watt inverter generator, and my truck has an inverter as well.
how much crap do you have to carry? 2 kids, always need crap.
camping stuff, guns and ammo, whatever if the tent is on the thing and I build a little roll out galley kitchen, I would only need to worry about clothing and general stuff

does it have brake and turn lights yes, and they work?  does it have to be registered in your state? yes, have the paperwork in hand to do that.
make sure it has appropriate chains, and get someone to show you how to connect them properly chains to hook to the towing truck or do you mean tire chains? I have chains to the towing truck
and decide if you need to do anything to the suspension, and what your loaded ground clearance will be and departure angle not going to mess with it if I can help it.

you'll also want to think about security.  how are you going to lock all the storage boxes and keep the whole trailer from getting stolen I plan on keeping the whole trailer in the garage when not in use. It fits easily and keeping it that way is a goal. If I go with the lid i'll put a lock on it and it's steel, so tough to smash and grab. If I don't do the lid I'm not sure? maybe locking boxes and obviously not keep anything of crazy value in there. Probably locking fuel jerry holders and a chain for the generator? How do you keep a whole trailer from getting stolen while on the road?

View Quote

@taliv, I'll answer above.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
6/1 update. took some time to start taking the random stuff off, and getting it cleaned up. It's cleaning up well, but the paint is too bad to keep as is and there are a few rust spots. Nothing major and those have been sanded away. I'll prime and get the ball rolling there soon.

Going to undercoat it to keep that clean. Bought stuff and prepped today, will probably do it tomorrow if the weather is good.

I did find out the lid is easy to remove. It opened all the way up and then that lets it slide off, so I'm excited about that. I'm still not sure which direction I'm going to go with all this but it's good to have options. I'm reading up on Expedition Portal and drooling in the trailer build threads about some ideas. I'm leaning towards a steel frame coming up out of it, so I can do awnings and the tent up a bit higher. Only problem there is I have no idea how to weld.

I already have enough equipment to camp (ground tent, stoves, etc) so even if it just hauls all that it's a win.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Convertible?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Got into it a bit since the last pic. Lots more scraping and sanding. Then priming. Then hired this professional painter Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks likethey did a good job painting.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
6/11 update

It has a couple of coats of paint now and is looking pretty good! I took off the mortar tube boxes and painted them. Looks like they are a perfect fit for the coleman camp stove I already have. So I think I'll set one up as a kitchen, the other with recovery or something.

I got the rear cargo holder off and that shrinks the footprint pretty well.

I was also able to find an order a key for the cargo carrier that went on the roof. It's This Carrier . The key was $3 but shipping was $8. those bastards! but either way that seems like a pretty decent value for the carrier. I'm going to mount the crossbars up there now that I can attach the carrier and see how it goes. It's actually made by Thuli so I know it will hold up well, I have one of theirs for my SUV. Between those carriers and the wagon itself I think it will be well suited for carrying crap on adventures.

I am also in the process of cleaning up and painting the jerry cans and it looks like they are in good shape. What is the cheapest way to mount them to the trailer's outside, like sitting on a fender or the rack? I can't weld, and all the mounts seem to be $40 or more. was hoping to keep this budget thing going
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]
6/16

The trailer came with this cargo carrier on the back hitch. I already had one and figure I don’t need that many. Fresh coat of paint and sold it to a neighbor for $80.

I’m officially into the trailer for $20 at this point :)

May end up selling the top cargo carrier but undecided.

Part of me wants to finish this up and sell it to put the money towards a cargo trailer instead. The wife is not a fan of the idea of this at the moment, and would prefer AC and a bathroom inside.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Know anyone that wants to buy an adventure wagon? Family is leaning more towards a pop up camper now... what do y’all think I should list this for?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Know anyone that wants to buy an adventure wagon? Family is leaning more towards a pop up camper now... what do y’all think I should list this for?
View Quote

Damn, I wish you werent so far away. I've been looking for a trailer like this for a few years now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top