User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a  Merkur. It is well balanced and was pretty close to your price. I use the green tubes of shave cream from Bath and Body which is repackaged Poraso (check that spelling)
View Quote
Yup. And Feather blades. Then Dr Thayers witch hazel for after shave. Done and done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the BIGGEST steps you can take to have a comfortable shave is:
Learn the GRAIN of your whiskers, and shave with the grain at first to minimize irritation.
e.g. - most of us saw our fathers shave from the cheeks down all the way past the adams apple or side of the neck, and then wonder why we got razor bumps on our necks.  Your hair likely grows in an upward fashion on your neck up to near your jawline (like upward growth of chest hair).
To map your grain - look it up on google or run your fingers in various directions on different parts of your stubble to note where the greatest resistance is...that's against the grain obviously.

Yes, razors have different blade gaps which makes them more or less 'aggressive' - a more aggressive razor can give a tighter shave with fewer passes, but the tradeoff is nicks if you don't get the angle right and can cause more irritation than a less aggressive razor.

Razors:
I prefer the Gillette Slim - 50 years old, found on Ebay for under your price range, and it's adjustable.
Adjustable means one can dial a setting which changes the blade angle from very mild to very aggressive.  Mild = more passes needed to get a baby smooth shave, yet less chance for nicks and irriation - Aggressive = closer shave in less passes.
Also have a Parker Variant adjustable someone noted above as a better option than the slim.  I disagree - I love the razor, but the head, having nice weight is bulky and makes it harder to get in tight under my nose than the slim.  Slim also beats the Gillette Fatboy in this regard, although the Fatboy is only marginally more bulky.  Merkur and Edwin Jagger are fixed angle and are good choices as well.

Blades:
Although many consider Feather sharpest, they're all plenty sharp, and I choose Astra green & white box since for me they are the right blend of sharp, yet smooth.  Astra green/white can be found on Amazon for $9/100 give or take.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood is a favorite, but Proraso is fine and both are creamy and easy to build a protective lather.  Sterling soaps are highly reviewed as well, and come in many more scents than the two above.  Finally, there are boutique soapmakers like Reef Point Soaps, who make my very favorite 'Aviator' - heavy leather scent is like shaving in a saddle shop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One of the BIGGEST steps you can take to have a comfortable shave is:
Learn the GRAIN of your whiskers, and shave with the grain at first to minimize irritation.
e.g. - most of us saw our fathers shave from the cheeks down all the way past the adams apple or side of the neck, and then wonder why we got razor bumps on our necks.  Your hair likely grows in an upward fashion on your neck up to near your jawline (like upward growth of chest hair).
To map your grain - look it up on google or run your fingers in various directions on different parts of your stubble to note where the greatest resistance is...that's against the grain obviously.

Yes, razors have different blade gaps which makes them more or less 'aggressive' - a more aggressive razor can give a tighter shave with fewer passes, but the tradeoff is nicks if you don't get the angle right and can cause more irritation than a less aggressive razor.

Razors:
I prefer the Gillette Slim - 50 years old, found on Ebay for under your price range, and it's adjustable.
Adjustable means one can dial a setting which changes the blade angle from very mild to very aggressive.  Mild = more passes needed to get a baby smooth shave, yet less chance for nicks and irriation - Aggressive = closer shave in less passes.
Also have a Parker Variant adjustable someone noted above as a better option than the slim.  I disagree - I love the razor, but the head, having nice weight is bulky and makes it harder to get in tight under my nose than the slim.  Slim also beats the Gillette Fatboy in this regard, although the Fatboy is only marginally more bulky.  Merkur and Edwin Jagger are fixed angle and are good choices as well.  
View Quote
Blade gap isn't the only variable though.  The angle of the head is an oft forgotten but IMO very important part of the equation

Here's the slim vs the Fatboy:

Gillette's pre-TTO razors had a much more shallow angle.  The introduction of the TTO (first gen Superspeed and the Fatboy) led to a far steeper angle.  Evidently Gillette saw it as an issue, as the Slim adjustable and the flare tip Superspeed that came later reduced this angle significantly, but not quite to what the older razors featured.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@19Cohiba75

If you find another mint Fatboy for that price I’d gladly take it off your hands for $20 & cover shipping. Fuckin retarded ass contractor clean up crew threw away hundreds of fuckin dollars worth of my shave gear after the fire including mother fuckin metal razors. I had three but I’ve only got the one left now. God damn retards.

On the flip side my collection of shit was getting ridiculous. And I didn’t even end up using a bunch of crap I had and it’s covered by insurance so not a real loss I suppose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to some flea markets before seasons end !!! Found all my DE razors at dirt cheap prices there. Just picked up a Gillette Black Beauty this past weekend for $5 and am in the process of cleaning her up. I'd go with one of the adjustable razors like the Gillette Fatboy or Black Beauty so you can select your level of sensitivity Picked up the Fatboy for $10 in the original box also at a flea market.
@19Cohiba75

If you find another mint Fatboy for that price I’d gladly take it off your hands for $20 & cover shipping. Fuckin retarded ass contractor clean up crew threw away hundreds of fuckin dollars worth of my shave gear after the fire including mother fuckin metal razors. I had three but I’ve only got the one left now. God damn retards.

On the flip side my collection of shit was getting ridiculous. And I didn’t even end up using a bunch of crap I had and it’s covered by insurance so not a real loss I suppose.
Clausewitz8 I will keep an eye out for a Fatboy for you, still have a couple more months of flea market season to go here. You never know what you will find
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Got my fatboy cheap.  I love it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top