Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2021 11:57:18 AM EDT
I'm going to start with my HDMI questions.

1. We're simple people.  We just got a new 4k tv.  Is there any reason to worry about getting 2.1 HDMI cables?

2. I have one place where a 90% HDMI hookup is needed.  If I can't find the right cable (more on that later) is there any reason to not just use an adaptor like this?

Next up is my in-wall questions.  I need to run at least three HDMIs, one 3.5mm audio and one A/V RCA.  Possibly something for a soundbar in the future and possibly the power cord for the tv.  As I've been shopping I have questions.

1. These cables will be run in an interior wall.  Total length in the wall might be 5ft.  How important is it to have cables rated for in-wall use?  HDMIs will be for gaming systems and satellite.  The A/V RCA will be for a DVD player.  3.5mm is for a bluetooth transmitter.  (This would impact my right angle adapter question from earlier.  I can't find a right angle cable for in-wall use.)

2. I was looking to just use something like this to run the cables.  That would require getting a longer power cable for the TV.  Is there value/wisdom to using something like the Powerbridge in stead since I'll be running a power cable through the wall?

3. Because all of our stuff is in an entertainment center, 6ft cables might be a smidge too short.  Looks like my only other option is to go with 10ft cables.  Is it safe to leave the excess in the wall or should I only have what is needed in the wall and zip tie the excess and tuck it away in the back of the entertainment center?

Now, when it comes to wall mounting... are all wall mounts basically created equal?  Is there something a first-timer wouldn't think to look for in shopping for one that you can pass on to me?  Should I go as simple as possible, or is there an advantage to one that will allow me to move/adjust the TV?  I picked up a Sanus at BestBuy.  It was $120 when I got it.  Looking on Amazon there are much cheaper wall mounts.  The TV is 55 inches.  Is this something that you get what you pay for and what I have is fine?  Should I take it back and pick up one for $50 off amazon?

I know that's a lot.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The adapter would be fine, are you sure you really need it?  I worried about this before and when shit came to git, I found that I actually had plenty of room for a straight cable behind my TV.

You are over thinking it, cables are cheap, give it a test run.  I have used much longer than 10ft HDMI cables with no issues.

I have also used recessed clock outlets when I was concerned about clearance on an AC plug.  I switched from a flush mount to a swivel and no longer needed the clock outlet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The adapter would be fine, are you sure you really need it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The adapter would be fine, are you sure you really need it?

Yeah.  It's to help the DVR sit a little further back so the doors will close on the entertainment center.  It's currently a tight fit.

Quoted:
You are over thinking it...

That's my superpower.  
In all seriousness, I don't think running them through an interior wall will matter, but I know there's people on this forum who handle stuff like this on a regular basis and figured they might have some wisdom to pass on.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used the pass thru plates and they work quite well.  I like the idea of the interior shelf/guide on the one you have linked.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Now, when it comes to wall mounting... are all wall mounts basically created equal?  Is there something a first-timer wouldn't think to look for in shopping for one that you can pass on to me?  Should I go as simple as possible, or is there an advantage to one that will allow me to move/adjust the TV?  I picked up a Sanus at BestBuy.  It was $120 when I got it.  Looking on Amazon there are much cheaper wall mounts.  The TV is 55 inches.  Is this something that you get what you pay for and what I have is fine?  Should I take it back and pick up one for $50 off amazon?
I know that's a lot.  Thanks in advance for your help.
View Quote
All wall mounts are NOT created equal.

You may want to be able to tilt it forward and back depending on how high you mount it. That should be a one time thing.

If you are even a little bit OCD and not 100% confident in your ability to get the mount exactly level then a mount with leveling adjustments is a big plus.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top