Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2018 6:01:25 PM EDT
Anybody make these bad boyz at home?  They're cheap and really easy to make.

Mise en place your wrappers and your ingredients:  (you can use about anything you want, but this was what I put in them today).

Julienne cut Bok Choy leaves
Julienne cut Leaf Lettuce
Julienne cut Cucumber
Julienne cut carrots
Sliced avocado
Mung bean sprouts
Rice noodles
Cilantro leaves
Chopped fresh basil
Fresh mint leaves
peeled and deveined cooked shrimp
rice paper wrappers (I got mine a Wally World).

Simply dip a wrapper in a container of water. Let it drain and lay it on a dry kitchen towel.

Lay on all your ingredients except the shrimp.
Attachment Attached File

Gently fold the near side of the wrapper over the filling (while gently pulling the filling into the wrapper with your fingertips). You have to pay attention because once the rice paper is wet, it'll stick to itself. So fold it over the filling carefully.

Now fold the sides in, making sure they stick. Lay out 3 or 4 shrimp on the remaining part of the wrapper and roll it up to seal it.

I make a dipping sauce using some teriyaki glaze cut with a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil.

Enjoy!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Dip them in nuoc cham or just fish sauce.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Fish sauce recipe.
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup fish sauce
4 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP Hot Chili garlic sauce (Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam) from Huy Fong Foods

Brought back a lot of memories , used to eat these and loved em.  The fish sauce doesn't go so well with mint (personal taste), and we used rice noodles. Healthy eating and we called em Viet spring rolls.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fish sauce recipe.
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup fish sauce
4 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP Hot Chili garlic sauce (Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam) from Huy Fong Foods

Brought back a lot of memories , used to eat these and loved em.  The fish sauce doesn't go so well with mint (personal taste), and we used rice noodles. Healthy eating and we called em Viet spring rolls.
View Quote
Actually, I used rice noodles in the ones above...I just spaced out putting them in the ingredients.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dip them in nuoc cham or just fish sauce.
View Quote
Soy sauce on spring rolls is like putting ketchup on a steak
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I make mine with imitation crab meat (hurrhurr).

For dip I use peanut butter mixed with soy sauce and a little sriracha

Honestly one of my favorite foods.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
all look good except for one thing. i'm one of those that have the dna that makes me hate cilantro. other than that, i would pig out on everything.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Love those things.
Use wrappers for other things also.
Filling of ground beef cooked in a black bean ginger sauce + the noodles and vegetables.
Chicken salad is another filling favorite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top