Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/7/2019 1:07:34 PM EDT
Right now I pay $50 for a Verizon single plan 7gb. I get carryover data so its really 9gb/mo.

Verizon sent me an offer for "beyond unlimited" for the same price I pay now. Details below. So besides having to sign up for auto-pay, what is the catch? Why wouldn't I want to do unlimited?

Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
In for more info as well
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Curious about this too.  We are currently using AT&T unlimited but I want to shop around and see if there are better priced unlimited plans from other carriers.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The catch is right under the word includes in each plan brotatto
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you thought about calling Verizon?

Bet they have answers for you.

You can login and see what the price difference would be total..
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
They slow you down to a crawl in my area at 22-24Gigs
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The catch?  Verizon lies.  What they promise you forever today, they will take back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You still get fooked no matter what because it's a big name brand cell carrier.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you can not get employee work discounts on unlimited plans
View Quote
Ah.  Is that what the deal is?
I get a pretty good discount from work but haven't thought about the unlimited plans in a while.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If Commercials were Real Life - Verizon Enabling Heroes
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
1st responders can.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The deal is for 4+ lines, priced per line.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not true.

I get the military/veteran discount with the GO UNLIMITED Verizon plan.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Notice the first plan says unlimited data whereas the second column says premium unlimited data.

My guess is they are going to implement slow lanes and fast lanes.

It is also quick to point out 4G. Cant help but wonder if 5G isnt included at that price down the road?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
The catch? The catch is you will sever every human contact. Nobody will ever know you exist anywhere. Ever. I'll give you to sunrise to think it over.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The catch is right under the word includes in each plan brotatto
View Quote
This.

Here's a pretty good explanation.

Basically, unlimited now means no monetary penalty for data usage, but you're likely to get throttled unless you pay for a higher tier, and that just means the throttling occurs at a later stage.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/28/17507322/best-unlimited-data-plans-verizon-att-tmobile-sprint
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
After 22 gig you go to dial up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I left Verizon a few years back because they were raping me per month even with a .mil discount.  I was a customer since the early 2000s but couldn't deal with it anymore.

Switched to Cricket and we only pay $70 a month for 2 lines sharing data.  No contracts.  Can leave whenever.

We recently moved and get the worst signal at our house so now I'm considering going back to a CDMA network but WILL NOT pay more than $70-$80.

I wonder what kind of "deal" Verizon would offer me if I walked in today.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Extreme throttling once you go over some amount of data.

There are additional fees, maybe $10-20.

Enroll in autopay so they can fuck you and good luck getting it undone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ah.  Is that what the deal is?
I get a pretty good discount from work but haven't thought about the unlimited plans in a while.
View Quote
I have the beyond unlimited plan and get an employee discount
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
After some unknown amount of gigabit usage, they throttle it down to an almost unusable speed that is virtually worthless.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The fact that they have multiple levels of "unlimited" and none of them are really unlimited should tell you all you need to know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
that is also the price for 4 lines. the price for a single line is 75..
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I went for the four lines unlimited for $40 a line.

My sons phones weren’t supported - they gave me two free Android phones.

I did lose my employee discount but they asked if I was a veteran, and I got $40 per month off which was more than my employee discount.

They did charge for activation of the new phones and you have to be on “auto pay” to get the $40/mo. otherwise it’s $45.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I want to say it has to do with the speed (or video quality) you get depends on the level.

I have some weird plan idk how I slid into (6gb data, unlimited calls/text for $45.99) for the last few years.  They keeps trying to get me to go to unlimited but my bill for the plan would jump up $25-30 just for the plan alone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

that is also the price for 4 lines. the price for a single line is 75..
View Quote
This. It's expensive as hell if you have 1 or 2 lines.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I have Beyond Unlimited and am satisfied with it.  On an S9+
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a slightly older unlimited plan on Verizon.

Unlimited mobile data that "may" slow down after 26gb.  I routinely use ~30gb per month and have never been throttled.
Unlimited mobile hotspot that slows down to 600mbps after 15gb of bandwidth.  I break this all the time and have never been throttled.
Unlimited international data that slows down to 2G (not a typo) after 512mb (not a typo) of bandwidth.  I smacked this almost every day when I was working in Canada and it fucking sucked asshole.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I want to say it has to do with the speed (or video quality) you get depends on the level.

I have some weird plan idk how I slid into (6gb data, unlimited calls/text for $45.99) for the last few years.  They keeps trying to get me to go to unlimited but my bill for the plan would jump up $25-30 just for the plan alone.
View Quote
Same here, I think we have 6 or 7gb data per line (just me and the wife) and our bill is right around $95 month after taxes. Any switch would cost us more money, even with any employer discounts.

We're a few years away from needing a phone for any of our kids, so we're sitting tight. Plus we rarely use data when we're out and about, and most places anymore have free WiFi when we're traveling.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The fact that they have multiple levels of "unlimited" and none of them are really unlimited should tell you all you need to know.
View Quote
Yep!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
The catch is that NONE of them are unlimited.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried the unlimited plan for a day or two. I wasn't able to stream YouTube or Pandora. They said yea, you'd need the beyondunlimited plan

I went back to my old 12Gig plan and just watched my usage better
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the hot spot option for when the family travels, but I believe all members must be on this plan
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#35]
The catch is Verizon sucks around here.  Its ok if you live in town but if your the least bit rural, signal goes to shit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#36]
The catch, for those prices at least it seems, is that it's the price per line on plans with 4+ lines.

Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Im still on the original real unlimited plan. I hotspot my kids tablets and home computer so I dont need home internet. I burn 60-100+ gigs of data per month. Im sure they will find a way to boot me eventually but its been a good ride
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did.
View Quote
Website just gave me a warning when I tried to look at new plans...

"You're currently on the new Verizon Plan M. When you switch, you can mix and match plans that fit each line best but you'll lose your company discount. Once you pick your new plans, you won't be able to switch back to your current plan."
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#39]
here at work we have 12 devices on unlimited for about 2 years now. prior to this, we got discounted prices on phones if on a two year contract. not now, pay full retail for phones. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The catch?  Verizon lies.  What they promise you forever today, they will take back tomorrow.
View Quote
This looks like a quote to use for every politician I've listened to.
Well said, well said.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct.

After certain limits (don't fucking sue me Verizon ) your speeds are very limited.

I like my T-Mobile plan. Allows me to do a lot of shit, and especially that feature where I can use my phone everywhere except Cuba, Rwanda, N. Korea and a few other places I have no interest in going "again".
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Bitterly clinging to a couple old grandfathered unlimited lines here.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I just switched my wife's and my verizon acct to Gounlimited.

We use no where near 22g but still was looking to save money on the unlimited.  Turns out its a scam.  My wife especially has noticed we can no longer stream youtube and google searches take 5 minutes when in a populated area.  Turns out we are being deprioritized.  Complained to Verizon and they said we need to upgrade this weeks old plan to get the service we just had.

And I lost my 20% work discount.  Trying to change back but might be too late because the old plan I had is no longer available and Verizon says they can't change us back to a plan that doesn't exist. I'm going to swing by a retail location tonight on way home and hope they can do something for me that doesn't just cost more money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#44]
throttling after 20-25 gigs.

Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#45]
It ain’t even close to $50’after the mandatory add ons
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Correct.

After certain limits (don't fucking sue me Verizon ) your speeds are very limited.

I like my T-Mobile plan. Allows me to do a lot of shit, and especially that feature where I can use my phone everywhere except Cuba, Rwanda, N. Korea and a few other places I have no interest in going "again".
View Quote
I had T mobile and wasn’t happy. To be fair all the phone companies suck ass and some do 1 thing good the others don’t but overall they are about the same and suck
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Im still on the original real unlimited plan. I hotspot my kids tablets and home computer so I dont need home internet. I burn 60-100+ gigs of data per month. Im sure they will find a way to boot me eventually but its been a good ride
View Quote
I average 152 per month. I’m going to try for 200 next month just to see if I can [night time after everyone goes to bed, it opens back up]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After 22 gig you go to dial up.
View Quote
I can get away with 26 sometimes in San Francisco but daylight in San Francisco usually I get slammed after 23-25
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Right now I pay $50 for a Verizon single plan 7gb. I get carryover data so its really 9gb/mo.

Verizon sent me an offer for "beyond unlimited" for the same price I pay now. Details below. So besides having to sign up for auto-pay, what is the catch? Why wouldn't I want to do unlimited?

https://i.imgur.com/fW9yA5U.jpg
View Quote
It's not really unlimited; that's the catch (I also don't know how they don't get sued over the point)
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm surprised they haven't. They booted me after a few months of high data usage (I think I used 250 gigs a couple of times, and every month was over 100). I have the new unlimited plan now and I've never noticed throttling on the phone, but after the 15 gigs of hotspot usage it will throttle it down. Still works okay though, even throttled.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top