Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2021 10:29:02 PM EDT
Well I will be moving to my new acreage soon(I hope) and find I may need to have a utv to run around on it and do work.

I have lifted gas golf cart for lite duty work but it has been sitting for 2 years and will have to work on it.

Meanwhile I am looking for a utv as an upgrade along with a small tractor.

Since I do not know about utv’s, recommend one at a reasonable sub 15k price.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
A bit depends on 2 things - what you want to do with it, and what does your property look like.  My UTV is slow as hell, but can carry a crap load and tow even more.  Plus it is a 4x4, very hard to get stuck.

There are smaller utv's that can get around more easily through closely spaced trees.  There are faster ones that are more fun.  Most people tend to want UTV's with a greater fun factor and a smaller utility factor.

Another thing to consider is how you are planning to move it around.  Some of the small ones can be carried on the back of a truck, or lighter utility trailer.  Mine weighs a much as a older jeep.  It was too large and heavy for my existing small utility trailer.

Anyway I have a diesel Kubota with a dump bed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my Honda pioneer 700, worked it hard for 4 years
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Honda is the answer if you can find one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Intimidators are made in the US with US steel. Get the power steering.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
How tough are new Intimidator UTV's Let's take a baseball bat to one!
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If you plan to use it a lot going through water, sell it in 5-10 years before it all starts to rust, seals fail, and bushings needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Honda pioneer.  It has an actual transmission not the belt that most use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely a Honda Pioneer.  Here's my 1000-5 Deluxe:

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
One thing I use mine a bit for is moving trailers around.  Especailly useful for brush clearing, plus sometimes just easier than hooking up the truck.  Again, it is what you want to use yours for - but I think mine can easily pull round bales (again useful when it is wet, does not get stuck easily), also have used it a couple times to play musical trailers (pull out trailer 1 to get to trailer 2, can leave trailer 1 connected while I use trailer 2 with the truck...  Convent for getting fencing supplies wear I need them, have a sprayer that I can put on the back for weed control.  Drag chain harrows to smooth stuff out.  Feeder attached during hunting season.

All that said, I use a Gen 1 Toyota Tacoma for a lot of that now - used Tacoma is cheaper, street legal, and has AC.  I flatbeded the Tacoma - made it even easier to use at the ranch.  Only 1 real limitation - it can not get between trees as well.  One big bonus is it is easy to carry an ATV on the bed to self shuttle equipment around without a trailer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Kubota Sidekick: Midway between a strictly utility/work vehicle and a strictly fun/fast vehicle.  Will go 40 mph but still haul and tow as much as the diesel powered RTV-900/1100/1140.  Base price is around $13,500 and goes up from there with various options.  Mine was right around $17,500 when it was said and done.

Go Switch vs. Slow Switch:

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
For those with pioneers

Honda Pioneer bed winch by SB WOOD AND WELD
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I am looking at picking up a mid 90's Subaru Sambar for working around on my property.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
you just working the land with it or want fun/trail riding too?

each has it merits.  
I got a Yamaha for reliability--and fun (its more fun that a workhorse, but it does have a tilting bed)

if looking for utility, i would lean toward a three wide seat with dump box (whatever brand)

note that some (like my Yamaha wolverine) are a bit harder to get in and out of.   the more utility ones have lower seat shields and are easier to get in and out

good luck finding anything-- in our area, there are NONE to be had

go try them out...and get in/out of them several times to see how easy it is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#15]
We have the Pioneer 1000-5 and love it.  Rear seats fold out of the bed if you want to haul more people.  You can put 1000lb in the bed and pull 2000.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#16]
All depends on what you want to do with it.  Work only?  Work and play?  How much of each?

I have (technically my parents but they live on the property 6 months of the year and leave it here) a Kubota RTV 1100 with cab, heat, AC, hydraulic dump bed.  Great for doing work around the place but absolutely terrible for trail riding or going anywhere.  Honestly rarely use it, tractor sees a lot more use.

Polaris General is a pretty good all around machine.  

Can Am Maverick X3 Turbo RR is on my list  Purely fun

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a satisfied owner of Kawasaki mules. I have a 2003, 600 2 wheel drive, and a 2021 FXR Pro 4 wheel drive. Very tough and useful machines. We have pulled loaded straw wagons with the 2021. The mules are definitely more work focused than "fun trail machine."
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a satisfied owner of Kawasaki mules. I have a 2003, 600 2 wheel drive, and a 2021 FXR Pro 4 wheel drive. Very tough and useful machines. We have pulled loaded straw wagons with the 2021. The mules are definitely more work focused than "fun trail machine."
View Quote

My FIL bought a Mule last year new, he loves it! It’s easy to use, was cheaper than the competitors, and has been stone cold reliable. It’s not fast, but I have seen it climb the side of a steep Rocky hill with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an Honda 700-4 on order myself.   Should be in Weds!  

Btw mods, we really should have a ATV/SxS sub-forum.  

Not bc I hate seeing utv threads, but just so everything is together for reference.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve been really happy with my Polaris Ranger 900.  2 seater with dump bed.  I can get through tight areas and it has the power to do what I need.  Between it and my JD 3032, I’m not sure which I use more!

These work for me - just my wife and I on small wooded acreage. Your needs may call for something else.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#21]
CanAm

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a used Polaris Ranger 6x6 this spring.  Steers harder than a 4 wheel model but has a larger than normal bed, which was my goal.  In and out is extremely easy.  We removed the cab doors for the summer but will definitely put them back in for winter.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]
be sure it has power steering!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Pioneer 1000-5 is what you seek. My 19 was put to work on day one and continues to impress, it is used daily around my farm. We also have a 2020 Ranger crew cab 570 and it’s been solid, it’s loud compared to the Pioneer though.

One note on the Pioneer, the stock suspension on the deluxe is rough. I replaced them with the Fox shocks and also put stiffer front coils on the front to account for my winch, second battery, and farm jack. Rides like a dream now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Kubota diesel is the answer for a work horse.
  My 87 yr old dad loves his.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Yamaha is always my first place to start, I have had excellent luck with their products over the last 30 years.

Hard to go wrong with a Ranger or Mule though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
you just working the land with it or want fun/trail riding too?

each has it merits.  
I got a Yamaha for reliability--and fun (its more fun that a workhorse, but it does have a tilting bed)

if looking for utility, i would lean toward a three wide seat with dump box (whatever brand)

note that some (like my Yamaha wolverine) are a bit harder to get in and out of.   the more utility ones have lower seat shields and are easier to get in and out

good luck finding anything-- in our area, there are NONE to be had

go try them out...and get in/out of them several times to see how easy it is.
View Quote
Ya, that's annoying.  I cut some of the safety BS out of mine but ingress/egress is still more troublesome than I'd want for a working vehicle.  You kinda tell in this pic.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have an Honda 700-4 on order myself.   Should be in Weds!  

Btw mods, we really should have a ATV/SxS sub-forum.  

Not bc I hate seeing utv threads, but just so everything is together for reference.
View Quote
We do have a newly minted offroad forum.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Honda pioneer.  It has an actual transmission not the belt that most use.
View Quote

Yup. Honda has been doing that right since the Rincon in the mid 2000's. Not sexy, not the most featured, but they fucking work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#31]
It seems trendy to bag on Polaris, but we've had a Ranger 500 for four years now on our farm and it has never given us any trouble. It's great for chores and just getting from one place to another quickly and comfortably.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had a Ranger Crew 900 for 6 years and it's been great. I am thinking about selling it and getting a Talon 4 seater.

I originally wanted a Teryx-4, but our local Kawasaki dealer sucks and went with the Polaris.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Mule or can, stay away from Polaris.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Mule!

They are built to work, not a great trail machine, but lots of UTVs are not central to getting shit done, they are more geared towards trail riding.

Love our Mule for work on the property.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#36]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought the Yamaha Viking, I use it more for hauling wood in the bed and pulling a trailer but wanted to be able to trail ride with friends too.  So far it's been good at both and has been trouble free.

This was shortly after I bought it, since then I've added front / back windshields.  I also take the doors off during wood cutting season, I'm in and out too much and always going slow anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Just got a 2022 Mule a couple months ago. Put a deposit at the local dealer. I didn't specify a specific model - they called me with whatever model came in that day and gave me first crack at it before they put it on their website. I had two to choose from.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#39]
As a bigger guy (6'4" and 275 lbs), some of the SxSs are difficult for me to get in and out of because of the seat/sidepanel/steering wheel configuration.  Make sure you at least sit before you buy and make sure the ergonomics work for you.  

I'm shopping for a SxS right now myself, mostly for use around my property and am heavily leaning towards a Kawasaki Mule or a John Deere Gator.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#40]
We have a Kubota Diesel for real work.  It pulls and hauls a ton of weight and the dump bed is great for all kinds of things.  I've had it full of gravel and still able to dump just fine.  The 4 seater is nice because the bed is bigger if you fold the back 2 seats out of the way.  Rides good, but its slow as can be.  Great for work, not for play.

We have a Pioneer 1000 being delivered later this month for something more fun that can still do some amount of work.  I'll use it for trips to the range, running around the farm, and taking to WV to do some real riding from time to time.

So, as always, the answer is "Get both"

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#41]
A question for the Honda owners, I test drove a new 520 Pioneer last week and the automatic transmission was terribly jerky, up shifting at lower RPMs and down shifting as soon as I let off the accelerator. Is this something that will brake in and get better? I really thought i wanted a Honda for the transmission and not having a drive belt, but after test driving I really wasnt impressed at all with the jerking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Pioneer 1000-5

One thing I've learned is that every UTV has compromises.

It'll keep up with most sport UTVs but it won't be as fun.

For work it does a good job.

The back seats are basically worthless unless it's for kids.  And it'll only be good for short trips.

I use it all the time for working around the place and moving my trailer around.  

Having said all that, I wish I had a 4 seat RZR or Talon.  It would be more fun on the trails.

Not having a bed would suck though.

I guess in a perfect would, having a RZR and 1000-5 would be ideal.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A bit depends on 2 things - what you want to do with it, and what does your property look like.  My UTV is slow as hell, but can carry a crap load and tow even more.  Plus it is a 4x4, very hard to get stuck.

There are smaller utv's that can get around more easily through closely spaced trees.  There are faster ones that are more fun.  Most people tend to want UTV's with a greater fun factor and a smaller utility factor.

Another thing to consider is how you are planning to move it around.  Some of the small ones can be carried on the back of a truck, or lighter utility trailer.  Mine weighs a much as a older jeep.  It was too large and heavy for my existing small utility trailer.

Anyway I have a diesel Kubota with a dump bed.
View Quote

^^^

First post nails it.  Define what you want to do with it, THEN we'll make a recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#44]
2017 kawasaki Mule 4x4. It does what I need it too!

Was $8k new.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A question for the Honda owners, I test drove a new 520 Pioneer last week and the automatic transmission was terribly jerky, up shifting at lower RPMs and down shifting as soon as I let off the accelerator. Is this something that will brake in and get better? I really thought i wanted a Honda for the transmission and not having a drive belt, but after test driving I really wasnt impressed at all with the jerking.
View Quote

The transmission will smooth out after 500-750 miles. What kills them is putting around in high gear and letting the clutches slip, they are fully locked at 1800 rpms but I try to always keep mine over 2k. You also have to let the machine heat up to operating temp before driving off. On the 1000, the engine and transmission share the same oil. I have no experience with the 520 though, it could be different. My 1000-5 has paddle shifters too and they are quite handy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The transmission will smooth out after 500-750 miles. What kills them is putting around in high gear and letting the clutches slip, they are fully locked at 1800 rpms but I try to always keep mine over 2k. You also have to let the machine heat up to operating temp before driving off. On the 1000, the engine and transmission share the same oil. I have no experience with the 520 though, it could be different. My 1000-5 has paddle shifters too and they are quite handy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing I hate about my 1000-5 is the jerkiness.  The throttle is too touchy and the shifting is just as bad.  The logic for gear changing in auto mode is terrible.  Always downshifts at the worst time and throws everyone around.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#47]
We've got a Textron (Arctic Cat) Havoc X. It's a cross between a sport SxS and a "working" SxS. You can haul material and tools in the bed and when you're not doing that you can have some fun with it. We also just ordered an electric Polaris Ranger because it'll be a lot more gentle on some of our higher traffic areas, and it'll be waaaaaaay quieter for sneaking up on animals.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#48]
My UTV.  And it's street legal.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

One thing I hate about my 1000-5 is the jerkiness.  The throttle is too touchy and the shifting is just as bad.  The logic for gear changing in auto mode is terrible.  Always downshifts at the worst time and throws everyone around.

View Quote
That was how the 520 was, I wasn't expecting the down shift and it really threw me forward, I didnt take the time to play with the manual mode, hopefully it is alot better. However my local dealer said Honda isn't even accepting orders at this time, he could put me on a list so that when the are open for orders , but then no idea when you could actually get it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That was how the 520 was, I wasn't expecting the down shift and it really threw me forward, I didnt take the time to play with the manual mode, hopefully it is alot better. However my local dealer said Honda isn't even accepting orders at this time, he could put me on a list so that when the are open for orders , but then no idea when you could actually get it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manual mode is the only mode I use.  I wish I didn't have to enable it every time I started it up, but it's not too big of a deal.  

It's not full manual though.  It'll still downshift but it waits a normal amount of time before doing it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top