Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2022 5:59:47 PM EDT
Well I have a limited amount of funds to select from in my HSA, the only other HSA option I couldn't use for personal reasons but had fewer fund options anyway.  Is there a better option to research these funds or is morningstar the best way to do it?

Most are:
Schwab Target index funds based on looks like year of retirement (5)
Vanguard index funds of some sort (14)

The other one that I am looking at is the Fidelity Low Priced Stock fund.

There are only 9 company options besides these 3.  I can list the funds if someone wanted (only 30 options).  I would say a 80/20 split or more for stocks over bonds.  Overall I want to be fairly risky but also a fund with a good track record looking at it long term.  Fund cost is also a consideration.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Do what I wish I had done 30 years ago and hire a Financial advisor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
How old are you and what's your time range?

Are you maxxing out a Roth IRA already?

Regarding vanguard funds, you can go on their website and search/compare their funds there but typically yahoo/google finance are decent options with morningstar as one of the industry rating systems.

Personally, we are deep in VFIAX, VWUAX and similar. 46 years old working hard for another 9-10 years.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well I have a limited amount of funds to select from in my HSA, the only other HSA option I couldn't use for personal reasons but had fewer fund options anyway.  Is there a better option to research these funds or is morningstar the best way to do it?

Most are:
Schwab Target index funds based on looks like year of retirement (5)
Vanguard index funds of some sort (14)

The other one that I am looking at is the Fidelity Low Priced Stock fund.

There are only 9 company options besides these 3.  I can list the funds if someone wanted (only 30 options).  I would say a 80/20 split or more for stocks over bonds.  Overall I want to be fairly risky but also a fund with a good track record looking at it long term.  Fund cost is also a consideration.
View Quote

A- you have literally unlimited HSa fund options. You can open an HSA at 7,300 providers and put $1 in each if you wanted (for family coverage, or 3650 for individual). Therefore you are not restricted to the ones you listed. You could do this via direct contributions, or payroll contributions to your employer provided one and annual or semi annual transfer to another one (Fidelity is awesome).

A2 - you will hear a downside of this (direct contribution to Fidelity instead of using payroll deduction) is that you lose FICA tax deduction. However, this washes out with a decrease in SS benefits so I consider it irrelevant, as it is so close to break-even for so many Americans that it is irrelevant.

B - however , it sounds as if you already have a good provider. Low cost target date index funds are excellent, and if you are offered Schwab and vanguard funds you likely have a reliable provider. Can you provide more details on who the provider is and what their Fees are, both inside and outside of the index funds? Are you happy with the HSA withdrawal process when you use it?

B2 - I do not choose target date funds  based on the year, but rather which ones meet my preferred asset allocation of 70/30 which usually means I utilize a 2035 target date fund where I use them (in cases where I do not incorporate a smaller account into my overall 70/30 allocation with a single asset class and rebalancing elsewhere).

C - However, you must consider your portfolio as a whole. If you want to be 100% equities of course it wouldn’t make sense to use a target date fund. On the other hand if you want to be 70/30, and already had a 401K, wife’s 401k, and 2 Roth IRA that are all 100% US  stocks index funds it wouldn’t make any sense to buy anything except bonds in the Hsa account. So a fund recommendation cannot be provided unless you are going to provide your entire current asset allocation and what you desire your allocation to be.

d - if you plan to spend most of your hsa money as fast as you save it, this is all academic and you should just keep it in cash. Personally, of the $600/month we deposit in ours, I keep $482 in cash for ongoing medical expenses and invest $118 in a low cost US equity total stock market index fund that is earmarked for retirement 20+ years from now. ($118 is the amount that got my total savings rate to 25% of pre tax income).
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, Morningstar is an excellent research tool. My HSA also has limited investment choices because of the plan my em0loyer chose, but I selected the best they have and until FJB took office, it was doing very well.

If you  have  an account at TD or one of the other major brokers, you’ll likely already have access to MS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old are you and what's your time range?

Are you maxxing out a Roth IRA already?

Regarding vanguard funds, you can go on their website and search/compare their funds there but typically yahoo/google finance are decent options with morningstar as one of the industry rating systems.

Personally, we are deep in VFIAX, VWUAX and similar. 46 years old working hard for another 9-10 years.

View Quote

7-12 years of work before I bail is the plan, this is a bit of a broad range but depends on a few work factors and not financially driven.  I max out my 401k and Roth IRA already...I now have enough to invest in my HSA funds to invest with....  I was not aware of the HSA until later last year and took this option.  

I will take the fund names (abbreviations) and plug them in yahoo along with morningstar, thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A- you have literally unlimited HSa fund options. You can open an HSA at 7,300 providers and put $1 in each if you wanted (for family coverage, or 3650 for individual). Therefore you are not restricted to the ones you listed. You could do this via direct contributions, or payroll contributions to your employer provided one and annual or semi annual transfer to another one (Fidelity is awesome).

A2 - you will hear a downside of this (direct contribution to Fidelity instead of using payroll deduction) is that you lose FICA tax deduction. However, this washes out with a decrease in SS benefits so I consider it irrelevant, as it is so close to break-even for so many Americans that it is irrelevant.

B - however , it sounds as if you already have a good provider. Low cost target date index funds are excellent, and if you are offered Schwab and vanguard funds you likely have a reliable provider. Can you provide more details on who the provider is and what their Fees are, both inside and outside of the index funds? Are you happy with the HSA withdrawal process when you use it?

B2 - I do not choose target date funds  based on the year, but rather which ones meet my preferred asset allocation of 70/30 which usually means I utilize a 2035 target date fund where I use them (in cases where I do not incorporate a smaller account into my overall 70/30 allocation with a single asset class and rebalancing elsewhere).

C - However, you must consider your portfolio as a whole. If you want to be 100% equities of course it wouldn’t make sense to use a target date fund. On the other hand if you want to be 70/30, and already had a 401K, wife’s 401k, and 2 Roth IRA that are all 100% US  stocks index funds it wouldn’t make any sense to buy anything except bonds in the Hsa account. So a fund recommendation cannot be provided unless you are going to provide your entire current asset allocation and what you desire your allocation to be.

d - if you plan to spend most of your hsa money as fast as you save it, this is all academic and you should just keep it in cash. Personally, of the $600/month we deposit in ours, I keep $482 in cash for ongoing medical expenses and invest $118 in a low cost US equity total stock market index fund that is earmarked for retirement 20+ years from now. ($118 is the amount that got my total savings rate to 25% of pre tax income).
View Quote

I was limited to two HSA insurance providers by my employer, of course it does take away some from my SS but honestly might help me out in the long run as I will get my SS plus my mil retirement and will be close now but probably by the time I am there will be over the limit of 85% of my SS getting hit with federal taxes.

I do not want any target funds.  I usually find that target funds happen at the worst possible moment at least for me.  I plan to be fairly aggressive with all my other investments because I have forced funds already hitting my account in retirement.  My goal is to start swapping my current 401k to a Roth IRA as soon as I can, any funds I draw will be taxed at the 25% rate instead of the current 24% rate I can get away with before 2026..  I won't be able to get it all out before 2026 but hopefully I can avoid big RMD's when they come to haunt me.  My forced payments will be more of my bonds and secure funds while my non-taxable or non forced withdraw accounts will be fairly aggressive for the most part.  This way when it comes down to it my non taxable accounts will grow at a faster rate and I still won't get taxed on it.

My HSA money will sit there, I am used to paying 5k a year, now I will just pay it all upfront instead of getting nicked and dimed to death.  I will be able to save my receipts and hopefully draw most if not all of it tax free.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, Morningstar is an excellent research tool. My HSA also has limited investment choices because of the plan my em0loyer chose, but I selected the best they have and until FJB took office, it was doing very well.

If you  have  an account at TD or one of the other major brokers, you’ll likely already have access to MS.
View Quote

I have a Fidelity account and a Vanguard account, I will look at these as well.  I never really looked on their sites as I figure most anything that would have popped been more like advertisement.

I call me skeptical but I am looking now what funds I want to dive into when the market takes another downturn so I am holding in the savings account to purchase later.  Might bite me but I just don't see how we can sustain with FJB polices and practices that don't look to get any better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was limited to two HSA insurance providers by my employer, of course it does take away some from my SS but honestly might help me out in the long run as I will get my SS plus my mil retirement and will be close now but probably by the time I am there will be over the limit of 85% of my SS getting hit with federal taxes.

I do not want any target funds.  I usually find that target funds happen at the worst possible moment at least for me.  I plan to be fairly aggressive with all my other investments because I have forced funds already hitting my account in retirement.  My goal is to start swapping my current 401k to a Roth IRA as soon as I can, any funds I draw will be taxed at the 25% rate instead of the current 24% rate I can get away with before 2026..  I won't be able to get it all out before 2026 but hopefully I can avoid big RMD's when they come to haunt me.  My forced payments will be more of my bonds and secure funds while my non-taxable or non forced withdraw accounts will be fairly aggressive for the most part.  This way when it comes down to it my non taxable accounts will grow at a faster rate and I still won't get taxed on it.

My HSA money will sit there, I am used to paying 5k a year, now I will just pay it all upfront instead of getting nicked and dimed to death.  I will be able to save my receipts and hopefully draw most if not all of it tax free.
View Quote

You're not limited to any account.  The plan and the HSA account are two different things.  The plan qualifies you for the HSA account.  It does not prevent you from using someone elses HSA.  You may be limited by payroll, but that's not stopping you from going to someone else and opening an account with cash and taking $0 payroll deductions.  Your company may make it look like it's one whole big option, but they're not.  They may offer some cash to take the high deductable plan too.  I'm not positive, but you should be able to move that cash also after it's deposited and that counts towards your limit.

I've never had to do any of this since my company offers Fidelity.  The only thing that may be different is your company account payroll deduction would be pre-tax, cash will be post-tax.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You can also use Seeking Alpha to look at fund performance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can also use Seeking Alpha to look at fund performance.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top