Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2024 2:15:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee]
I had a couple of memory sticks die and some of the parts have been running since 2013 or so.

Out with the old...

In with the new...

Well not exactly new, I've been running this as my main pc for about eight months.

Been using two AIO coolers in the desktop case but they might not fit my server case without some hacking so I will probably go with a couple of Supermicro 4U air-coolers.

Plus the AIO cooler pumps are starting to make a little bit of noise.

The air coolers are rated up to 205 watts each and will probably be a bit noisier but the server will be in another room so thats a non issue.

Also have four good 6TB HGST Helium filled hard drives.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The Supermicro coolers are really nice quality.

Comparing the AIO and air cooler.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Houston we have a problem, I can't find my extra tube of thermal paste.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you not have at least 5 different tubes lying about?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dragoontwo:
How do you not have at least 5 different tubes lying about?
View Quote

I do, they are all empty.

Edit: Good news the paste on the bottom of the cpu coolers is still very soft and not dried out like I was expecting.

Edit2: Backing up both my main pc and my AM5 pc right now.

The B650e  motherboard is currently in a Enthoo Pro case and i'm wanting to install it into my newer case that currently has the dual Xeon board.

I removed the video card so I am using the IGPu of the cpu for now so I wont have to mess with video card drivers until after I swap everything over to my newer case.

Installing Windows 11 on a 2TB nvm-e drive then I will add in another 1TB  for Ubuntu.

Once I do that i'll power down my main pc and remove everything out of its case and then swap the dual Xeon board to my server case.

After I do that i'll clean up the case and swap over the AM5 board and finish both rebuilds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#5]
Looks very nice.

2013, geez I have upgraded my home server at least twice since then. 2013 I was rocking a 2 bay qnap nas. Too slow, stupid UI but good enough for my first NAS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#6]
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
Looks very nice.

2013, geez I have upgraded my home server at least twice since then. 2013 I was rocking a 2 bay qnap nas. Too slow, stupid UI but good enough for my first NAS.
View Quote

Ive been upgrading something in it every couple of years.

The original cpu's and ram are from 2013, case and motherboard were a 2016 upgrade, the E5-2670 v2 were from a two or three years ago, power supply is three or four years old.

On my fourth set of hard drives.

At one time it had twelve 400 gig hard drives.

Also on the second set of fans.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you do with it? seems like overkill for a home server. the power company approves
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Klee] [#8]
Done, damn that was pretty painless except I had to run the Harbor Freight to get a set of long skinny Torx wrenches since none that I had would clear the fins on the two middle bolts on both coolers.

That took an hour there and back.

I'm glad I went with the air coolers because it would have been a pita to mount the AIO coolers, just not quite enough room unless I started to mod the case and I was not up to that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
What do you do with it? seems like overkill for a home server. the power company approves
View Quote

I run Promox for VM's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I installed Windows 10 in a VM on my server, MUCH better performance.

VERY responsive, feels like i'm in front of a real pc instead of a virtual one.

Can watch youtube videos with zero problems, before it would struggle with the video and sound now its smooth.

I don't normally watch videos in a vm and normally I don't even bother to add a sound device unless I want to test the vm.

So far i'm very pleased with the performance improvement.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Creating a few VM's

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been running a Dell R710 for a few years.. planned on running it for a few more as it hasn't even had a drive failure, but its a huge power hog.

Town recycle center came through for me,  I pulled a ThinkSystem  ST250 that still has 690 days of warranty left. I cant believe the stuff that people throw away. It's only a single xeon e2244g processor with 64gb, but it blows the dell out of the water. Just need to load it up with drives and figure out what i'm going to build on it. I just mainly play with the server and network for fun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:53:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By forager:
I have been running a Dell R710 for a few years.. planned on running it for a few more as it hasn't even had a drive failure, but its a huge power hog.

Town recycle center came through for me,  I pulled a ThinkSystem  ST250 that still has 690 days of warranty left. I cant believe the stuff that people throw away. It's only a single xeon e2244g processor with 64gb, but it blows the dell out of the water. Just need to load it up with drives and figure out what i'm going to build on it. I just mainly play with the server and network for fun.
View Quote

That is a score!!

That cpu is pretty damn decent and you can do plenty with 64 gigs of ram.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Went ahead and installed my AM5 motherboard in the newer case that had the dual xeon board in it.

I also decided not to run my 420 AIO cooler since the only way it would fit was with the hoses on the rad to be at the very top of the loop and that will cause issues if the coolant level drops.

Also with the rad in the back blowing out the case the video card has to fight for air and if the rad fans are blowing in it blows hot air right at the video card.

So now I added two 140mm fans in the back blowing into the case right at the video card.

Went with a Thermalrite  Phantom Spirit 120 since its very highly rated and reasonably priced.

I plan on keeping the 420 AIO in my Enthoo Pro case since it is perfect for that case.

Little 7600 cpu that's a little over clocked. Those VRM's

The cooler matches my motherboard pretty good, I did not notice the angles until after I mounted the cooler. It even clears the ram.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top