Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2020 4:34:55 PM EDT
New photos of the production models of the weapons vying for the chance to replace the M4 and M249 have been released.

As well as the next generation fire control system.

Despite covid-19 the program continues on unabated.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Got dam Joglee thread.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got dam Joglee thread.
View Quote

Saw the title and knew who it was
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig's lessons learned in the capture of MHS should give them an edge.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a lot of out Of the box thinking with this stuff. Pretty much just rebatreled shit for a new caliber. We aren’t going to go to a bull pup andvSIG isn’t doing anything innovative. It’s time we did away with buffer tubes and get a truly folding stock weapon system like what’s on the Scar Or SIG 553 .
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
So what happens to all the old M249s/M4s once they're replaced? They'll just scrap them?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]
No telescoping cartridge, no want.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Put the Vortex aimbot optic on the Textron LMG, use it to replace SAWs/DMRs/GPMGs, and leave the M4 alone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sig's lessons learned in the capture of MHS should give them an edge.
View Quote

I work for a subcontractor for one of those companies and the primary is an absolute shitshow. Much as Sig annoys me I hope they win
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not a lot of out Of the box thinking with this stuff. Pretty much just rebatreled shit for a new caliber.
View Quote

Are there photos of the internals/operating systems?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked the KAC version better anyway
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not a lot of out Of the box thinking with this stuff. Pretty much just rebatreled shit for a new caliber. We aren’t going to go to a bull pup andvSIG isn’t doing anything innovative. It’s time we did away with buffer tubes and get a truly folding stock weapon system like what’s on the Scar Or SIG 553 .
View Quote

The Sig doesn't use a buffer tube and it's foldable on the carbine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The LOP on the Sig belt gun is ridiculously short.  Even extended, it's got to be way short.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting that they all copied Vortex’s color from their Razor line.  I hope @VortexSam has a patent on it!
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]
lol @ that stock height on the LMGs. I guess they don't intend anybody to shoot it while wearing helmet mounted NODs or a gas mask. That's some stupidly high cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Put the Vortex aimbot optic on the Textron LMG, use it to replace SAWs/DMRs/GPMGs, and leave the M4 alone.
View Quote

Re-barrel those M4's to 6mm ARC and call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Close up of the Textron offering:

SIG looks like the only weapon designed by people who've used guns. Not sure what is going on with the LMG stock, but the older submissions had a more normal looking stock.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/PA090035.jpg
SIG looks like the only weapon designed by people who've used guns. Not sure what is going on with the LMG stock, but the older submissions had a more normal looking stock.
View Quote

The Textron rifle is filler content. A non-bullpup rising block. IIRC, they were thinking Ares AIWS until cockblocked by the req for a mag-fed rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Oh hell yes. GWOT would have been over in a week. Or so I hear.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/PA090035.jpg

View Quote

That's the old design that was close too the M4. The new design is in the OP.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
SIG is least awful but looks like NERF
GD looks like that stupid Boring Co weed burner Musk sells
Textron looks like something cooked up by an early Soviet R&D shop

Also...

SIG; modern comfort grip
GD; A2 grip (works, but passe)
Textron; is that an MP5 grip profile?

Yeah, you can really tell which group actually shoots
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

And all the rifles are using 20 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be shocked if they actually replace anything
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got dam Joglee thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll allow it, they're shooting 6mm stuff in semi-auto with an eye for accuracy

I personally think 24 is the ideal number, seeing as 6mm is halfway between 30x of .22 and 20x of .30
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sig may have leave a lot to be desired in the execution, but they are pushing innovation in recent years. More than a lot of companies are even attempting.

The MCX was an innovative design in that it took what modern users were asking for, and made that work in something that kept it familiar with the AR that has dominated the market. This NGSW thing is basically the MCX scaled up to the round the Army demanded. It’s a pretty pointless endeavor overall, but they didn’t set the parameters.

The stock is folding or collapsing, depending on the configuration. Not that it matters too much, that’s not really as important as people make it out to be. The SCAR had an issue with that as well, stocks breaking, since a hinge is a potential weak point in any design.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So what happens to all the old M249s/M4s once they're replaced? They'll just scrap them?
View Quote

Same thing that happened to the A1s and A2s
Third world countries will benefit
Some will continue to see service in the Reserve components for years to come
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless. Doesn’t look like any innovation is going on, just a rebarreling to a marginally better round. Mght be good for a SAW weapon but not necessary on a carbine.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Almost looks like there is an airburst grenade component that this rifle can attach to?  Are they resurrecting the XM29 airburst grenade part?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The whole thing is such a stupid waste. It’s good that industry innovation and forward progress are being considered in some aspects but this NGSW shit really doesn’t make any significant difference.

Oh well. It would appear that joglee and the competitors are the only ones still interested in the program so we’re lucky he keeps us updated.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#34]
High pressure ammo, plastic cases, OWL tracers and aimbot optics are all steps forward and make guns better at a distance past what individual riflemen do most of the time.

Where's the innovation for 100m? Where are the 4.9mm, 100kpsi, 6 gram cartridges in 50rnd mags for 5lb 1200rpm PDW-carbines? NGSW may outshoot a AK at 600m, but it's probably inferior at 50m.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
The stocks on the ARs look like shit, literally just a block. lol I like the look of the Sig's AR and Textron's R.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Is that ejection port on the Textron not smashing brass right into your support hand if you happen to grab it up close?

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I personally think 24 is the ideal number, seeing as 6mm is halfway between 30x of .22 and 20x of .30
View Quote

Most engagements take place less than 150 yards away. If troops have had trouble since the beginning of time with rifles to hit anything past 150 yards in combat conditions. Giving them a heavier recoiling and shorter magazine weapon is not going to make things any better.

The M16A2 musket was designed with an eye for accuracy too. It was fucking dumb as hell, and quickly abandoned by the Army.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, did Jesse James do the suppressors for GD?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
High pressure ammo, plastic cases, OWL tracers and aimbot optics are all steps forward and make guns better at a distance past what individual riflemen do most of the time.

Where's the innovation for 100m? Where are the 4.9mm, 100kpsi, 6 gram cartridges in 50rnd mags for 5lb 1200rpm PDW-carbines? NGSW may outshoot a AK at 600m, but it's probably inferior at 50m.
View Quote

Nice post! I can see the need for a better belt-fed than the M249, and for a DMR that outperforms 7.62. I can’t see this work as an improvement on carbines.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#40]
We should replace them with M4s and M249s
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is that ejection port on the Textron not smashing brass right into your support hand if you happen to grab it up close?

View Quote

Gotta learn to shoot right handed. Lefties need not apply, also its polymer cased.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
lol @ that stock height on the LMGs. I guess they don't intend anybody to shoot it while wearing helmet mounted NODs or a gas mask. That's some stupidly high cheek weld.
View Quote

They intend the user to be using optics and inline is much better for recoil control. I honestly think the optic and machine guns have a great chance at adoption, being able to replace all 7.62 machine guns and 5.56 saws with a lighter and much better performing round is a big step forward.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Gotta learn to shoot right handed. Lefties need not apply, also its polymer cased.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure how to phrase that... empties?? Ejecting polymers doesn’t sound right.

Look at the ejection port though.  That’s some prime real estate for holding the gun unless I’m missing something.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Most engagements take place less than 150 yards away. If troops have had trouble since the beginning of time with rifles to hit anything past 150 yards in combat conditions. Giving them a heavier recoiling and shorter magazine weapon is not going to make things any better.

The M16A2 musket was designed with an eye for accuracy too. It was fucking dumb as hell, and quickly abandoned by the Army.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I''m a dirty civvy but my understanding of modern fire and maneuver warfare was one element fixes the enemy so another can close with and destroy. Having a heavier rifle with less capacity seems to be counter productive.

Or updated COIN we been doing, the force fixes with fire to call in ordnance but same issues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I handled the Sig offerings at SHOT, and they weren't half bad, especially the scaled-up MCX.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#46]
More interested in learning about the new optics being designed by Vortex and L3... Out of everything, those and maybe Sig’s new MG will end up seeing use.

Otherwise, the M4 isn’t going anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

5.56 isn’t going away anytime soon.  If the new 6.8 magnum is everything we’ve been promised, it will be punishing shoulders and wearing out barrels at an alarming rate until the bugs are worked out (years at least).
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#50]
6.5 Lightmachinegun maybe KACs version.

The rest, throw in the trash.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top