User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Toyota official communications on net torque from Canada

The 163 and some other figures are probably due to picking up only the ICE component torque. TMNA likely doesn't publish combined torque numbers due to SAE J1349 Certified Power Engine Rating Standard, as there's some issue with how combined calcs should work. Fike I thought  you were quoting thr A25A-FKS torque portion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:
Originally Posted By DrPerceptron:
Originally Posted By fike:
Originally Posted By DrPerceptron:
Originally Posted By fike:

Two different hybrid system types. Alacrity could probably speak better on the differences.

The CR-V has a considerably higher torque number 247 lb-ft vs 163 lb-ft.

2024 RAV4 Hybrid combined torque output is 252lb-ft.

News to me. Where are you seeing that?

Toyota dosen't publish it but several outlets have. The gas engine by itself produces a maximum of 163 lb-ft. Link I own one and can tell you that it has a lot more than 163 lb-ft combined.

Toyota official communications on net torque from Canada

The 2024 RAV4 family also includes eight hybrid grades, showcasing Toyota's hybrid technology. This efficient powertrain features a 2.5L Dynamic Force 4-cylinder engine, high-torque motor-generators, continuously variable transmission, and efficient storage batteries. The result is 219 net system horsepower and 221 lb-ft of torque  for fast, confident acceleration, impressive fuel efficiency, and no need to plug in. All RAV4 Hybrid models ride on an electronic on-demand all wheel drive system featuring a dedicated electric motor at each wheel to channel torque where it's neede

The 163 and some other figures are probably due to picking up only the ICE component torque. TMNA likely doesn't publish combined torque numbers due to SAE J1349 Certified Power Engine Rating Standard, as there's some issue with how combined calcs should work. Fike I thought  you were quoting thr A25A-FKS torque portion.

No. Just the numbers Toyota quotes in all of the marketing, which seemed notable (weird) both in comparison to the Honda system and to the general nature of engines (219 hp and 163 lb-ft is getting on S2000 territory).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#3]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
Well I ended up getting a Highlander hybrid instead.

Drove 4 or 5 different RAV4's from a new 2024 to a 2017 with 45,000 miles.  The new RAV4 drove OK but was definitely gutless in terms of acceleration to merge or pass.  The used ones (even a 2022 with less than 40,000 miles) seemed pretty rattly with a lot of odd noises.

A friend had suggested a Highlander and the dealer mentioned they had a 2017 hybrid with 56,000 miles on it.  I test drove that and it was world's better in ride quality and noise elimination (not really a shock) compared to the RAVs.  I could have lived with the smaller vehicle but the ride quality and noise was a deal breaker on the RAV.

Thanks for all the input!
View Quote

I'm unsure why, tho my speculation abive is likely but they do seem to list each respectively, with no combined net torque rating, as TMNA does with net hp

Attachment Attached File

Glad you got the Highlander OP, hope it does well for you.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Drove 4 or 5 different RAV4's from a new 2024 to a 2017 with 45,000 miles.  The new RAV4 drove OK but was definitely gutless in terms of acceleration to merge or pass.  The used ones (even a 2022 with less than 40,000 miles) seemed pretty rattly with a lot of odd noises.

A friend had suggested a Highlander and the dealer mentioned they had a 2017 hybrid with 56,000 miles on it.  I test drove that and it was world's better in ride quality and noise elimination (not really a shock) compared to the RAVs.  I could have lived with the smaller vehicle but the ride quality and noise was a deal breaker on the RAV.

View Quote

Just out of curiosity, do you have any sort of warranty for the hybrid battery?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Nice vehicles.

I'm more of a 4Runner person.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Pre MY 2020 hybrid traction battery warranty was 8/100k from in-service date.

If it was eligible, unsure what either Toyota CPO program covers, limits or disclaims with traction batteries.

OP I would make sure the cooling vents, internal filters and fan are clear of dust and debris now. Then I'd do it whenever the cabin air filters due. The internal filters should be reusable if you're carful.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
1-Toyota
1-Toyota
1-Toyota
2-Honda
3-see above

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations on the new Highlander!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:19:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lomshek] [#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#10]

Nope.  The warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles.  Since its older than 5 years it is sold as is.  I'm trusting Toyota quality at this point.

On the flip side my 75 year old uncle owns the first Pius sold in this part of the state and it was still going strong (not much battery left) a few years ago when he "sold" it to a grandson.

If I can put a hundred thousand miles on this it will still be a hundred thousand short of my minivan and will give me time to move on to a new vehicle by then.

ETA

Interesting on the battery warranty and thanks for the info!  I'll do some research!
View Quote

This might help. Some good info here

https://www.toyota.com/electrified-vehicles/warranty/

Pretty sure  this is the '17 Highlander Traction battery P/N (and RX 450h) I wouldn't take my word for it tho

G9510-48120

They are pretty solid, imagine it will do as well as your Honda.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: makintrax73] [#11]
I really liked the 2 Highlanders I've owned.  It got to a point where I was doing hunting trips with 4 dogs, going down sketchy "minimum maintenance" roads, and hauling large water tanks to my camp and the Highlander just wouldn't do everything I needed.  But for everyday driving it was WAY better at everything including snow and ice than my F150.

I think you'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Our 2020 Highlander V6 XLE got invaded by a mouse doing a lot of damage and we have a 24 RAV4 loaner, we'll be very happy to get our Highlander back. Both are ICE and the better MPG is nice on the RAV but the driving experience is much nicer on the Highlander along with the room. We have two kids and there just isn't enough space in a RAV. They vastly improved driving experience from the 20 to the 24 model of RAV but other things have gotten worse. The stupid stop start feature on the RAV lurches when it starts back up and everything being integrated into the screen is a bit of a downgrade in my opinion. No wireless charging on the RAV and only one USB port up front is a bit odd but finally having bluetooth carplay is nice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Thread is now worthless without pics.  Share 'em of your new ride!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kanati] [#14]
I've been a Honda guy for a while, but I'm looking hard at a Highlander over a Pilot right now.

Nobody is what they used to be, but I feel like Toyota has been more consistent. My last two late model Hondas have had more recalls and minor annoying issues than ever before.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top