Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2018 8:53:51 AM EDT
To make a long story short, the house where my grandparents lived was torn down a few years ago, and it had great sentimental value to me. Not sure what all was saved when it was torn down, but I've been toying with the idea of having a custom folder or two made and using something from the house in the handle material. So far two things I've thought could be used are a brick from the chimney or a piece of the aluminum siding. Obviously both of these would have to be cut to size, shaped, etc. Do you think either of these materials would work to make knife scales or am I nuts?
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt brick would be very durable if it was sliced thin enough to make scales out of... it would crumble to pieces. Not sure about aluminum siding,  but your best bet would be to use part of a beam or a piece of hard wood flooring.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#2]
No...  If i were asked, I would not use them.  Maybe the Al for a small shield or plate with initials on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Although, I have seen reconstituted stone for scales.  Should work with brick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It really all depends on what I can get my hands on and what was saved. When the house was demolished it was basically emptied, a hole was dug next to it and it was pushed into the hole. So I'm stuck with what was saved unless I want to grab a shovel and go do some digging.

I had kinda wondered about the feasibility of getting a 100 year old brick to stay "together" if it was sliced thin enough for a knife scale, guess I was correct to wonder.

The place was in Missouri and I'm in Texas, so I'm not really going to know if anything's available/suitable until the next time I can get up there and go through what's left. I'd love to find some of the old wood, that would ideally be probably the best thing to use. I just thought of the brick or siding as being "different", but I guess there's reasons nobody makes knife handles out of those materials....
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It really all depends on what I can get my hands on and what was saved. When the house was demolished it was basically emptied, a hole was dug next to it and it was pushed into the hole. So I'm stuck with what was saved unless I want to grab a shovel and go do some digging.

I had kinda wondered about the feasibility of getting a 100 year old brick to stay "together" if it was sliced thin enough for a knife scale, guess I was correct to wonder.

The place was in Missouri and I'm in Texas, so I'm not really going to know if anything's available/suitable until the next time I can get up there and go through what's left. I'd love to find some of the old wood, that would ideally be probably the best thing to use. I just thought of the brick or siding as being "different", but I guess there's reasons nobody makes knife handles out of those materials....
View Quote
Plenty of other things besides scales you could make from salvaged material. Re-purposing is a big thing these days.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if the brick could be stabilized with cactus juice. I'd be willing to try anyway. Ive got some old red brick laying around.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Would it work to pound the brick into powder and mix it into an epoxy?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You could probably use the siding as liners or spacers in the handle. It'd just be an aluminum line in the handle, but it'd be a piece of the house in the knife.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty sure that's doable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
came here to post this. mix brick into epoxy. the smaller you smash it the better it will turn out (I think).
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

came here to post this. mix brick into epoxy. the smaller you smash it the better it will turn out (I think).
View Quote
On the contrary, have you ever seen exposed aggregate concrete? It looks really appealing... I think grinding up to a variable size and mixing with epoxy, molding larger than necessary, the sanding to final shape size would give a really neat exposed-aggregate look to it... see below and imagine the gray cement as the epoxy and the ground stones as small bits of crushed bricks...

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Appreciate all the neat ideas....some things I'd never even thought of. All depends on what I can get access to and what's not buried in the ground, but I'm going to try to use something in some way to make a keepsake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top