Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2022 12:37:36 PM EDT
@PraesidiumFabrica

@OG1

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the youtube tag option not work anymore?

ETA:

Maybe because I just used @ 's and a link the robots thought I was one of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Decentralized Cooperatives, comrade, it's the future freedom.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Creepy af lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Creepy af lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Creepy af lol

I'm really bad at starting threads I think.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My daughters both go to a co-op.

My 13-year-old’s favorite class is “medieval combat”. It takes place in a field, where about they form groups of three to about twenty before beating the shit out of the other groups with wooden sticks that are nominally covered in foam.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Creepy af lol

I bet you suck at standing in line, too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Creepy af lol

I do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
unschooling is to homeschool as Montessori is to public school
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
The General Discussion crowd greatly dislikes liberty as it applies to the education of youth.

GD is basically Principal Skinner, gazing into a mirror, and seeing Magnum P.I. in the reflection.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's homeschooling with no discipline or accountability.

I am paraphrasing her.
View Quote

At its worst, it can be.

At its best, it’s self-directed learning with the parents monitoring and providing support, rather than building a curriculum and holding the child to it.

Honestly… a kid in a loving, supportive home left entirely to their own devices is far better off than a kid in the best private school in the country who barely knows their parents.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My personal experience was definitely "unschooling". Though that wasn't rally really a word at the time.

Aside from some cousins who lived a couple states away, I didn't know another family that homeschooled.

My parents didn't even really teach me (this isn't a complaint, I'm grateful)... they just bought me text books. I gave and graded my own tests. Set my own schedule for learning. Worked on the farm, did 4H, forestry club, sang in the community choir, etc... once I got to "high school" I also started working at an animal hospital and went to community college.

Then I went to a "real" college, and ended up with a couple engineering degrees, military service, a gorgeous woman (with 4 degrees)... so I guess it worked out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My personal experience was definitely "unschooling". Though that wasn't rally a word at the time.

Aside from some cousins who lived a couple states away, I didn't know another family that homeschooled.

My parents didn't even really teach me (this isn't a complaint, I'm grateful)... they just bought me text books. I gave and graded my own tests. Set my own schedule for learning. Worked on the farm, did 4H, forestry club, sang in the community choir, etc... once I got to "high school" I also started working at an animal hospital and went to community college.

Then I went to a "real" college, and ended up with a couple engineering degrees, military service, a gorgeous woman (with 4 degrees)... so I guess it worked out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My personal experience was definitely "unschooling". Though that wasn't rally a word at the time.

Ugh.

Every time you post, it gives me pause.

For instance - my oldest asked for a subscription to Crunchyroll a few weeks ago. Now she’s spending hours drawing catgirls and femboys. She’s getting damned good at it, too, to the point that she’s talking about doing commission work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ugh.

For instance - my oldest asked for a subscription to Crunchyroll a few weeks ago. Now she’s spending hours drawing catgirls and femboys. She’s getting damned good at it, too, to the point that she’s talking about doing commission work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
you want better schools, pay the teachers more and don't tie the admins hands with dealing with troubled students.

We have a system here in our Parish where trouble making students get sent. It's a school where they learn the same material, but they are treated as if they are in boot camp.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The General Discussion crowd greatly dislikes liberty as it applies to the education of youth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in favor of liberty.

However, liberty requires no one be compelled to subsidize others' liberty.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm in favor of liberty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in favor of liberty.

Ah, so you agree that my family shouldn’t have to pay taxes to support the government schools.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ah, so you agree that my family shouldn’t have to pay taxes to support the government schools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in favor of liberty.

Half my property tax bill goes to public schools my kids have never attended.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Modern screwels are indoctrination prisons for children. Teaches them the state sponsored world view.  Drag queens and condoms for everyone. Your children will turn you in and kill you in the end, and think they are good citizens.  But you will be proud because your kid got a 4.0 GPA and was on the Dean's List.  

This seems silly, but I have seen kids kill their parents for no other reason than convenience and feelz.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Modern screwels are indoctrination prisons for children. Teaches them the state sponsored world view.  Drag queens and condoms for everyone. Your children will turn you in and kill you in the end, and think they are good citizens.  But you will be proud because your kid got a 4.0 GPA and was on the Dean's List.  

This seems silly, but I have seen kids kill their parents for no other reason than convenience and feelz.
View Quote
Money is a motivator as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why limit it to your family?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why limit it to your family?
View Quote

I'd be willing to bet a nickel that he won't limit it at all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this like homeless are now called unhoused? Where do people come up with this crap?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#27]
My 11 year old will be homeschooled for junior high.

Many parents don’t want to give up their job to properly raise their children.

Greed and status quo is more important then properly raising a child.

Most parents will pat themselves on their backs if their kids are making $150,000 but are assholes to everybody, divorce, and raise rotten kids vs a modest income family man/woman who raises the next generation of good kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top