Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2023 11:03:57 PM EDT
I currently had a BenQ PD3420, 34" Ultrawide.

It's been a great monitor, but I need even more screen real estate, so I've supplemented it with a 24" Monitor to the right.

I'd like to look into getting something that is 49"ish and 4K, but also has good color accuracy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Samsung Odyssey G9.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been using an LG 38WN95C-W for over a year as my main office monitor for my Macbook and have been happy with it.  When moving from a smaller large format monitor it does take some getting used to though.  

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/38wn95c-w
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 43" 4K television and dual flanking vertical 24" 1080p monitors. The real estate is amazing. Those ultra wide monitors cheat you out of vertical real estate.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a 43" 4K television and dual flanking vertical 24" 1080p monitors. The real estate is amazing. Those ultra wide monitors cheat you out of vertical real estate.
View Quote

I use a TV on my gaming/home system and I like it for that purpose. However, for some reason when working with text documents and spreadsheets it is easier for me to work with them on the ultrawide even though I have less vertical screen size.   You also need to sit farther away from a TV than a monitor and my office isn't configured for that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t the the ultra wide is any less vertical real estate that yours. Your vertical is by your flanking portrait monitors which could be done the same with an ultra wide.

In fact the ultra wide likely has more vertical pixels per inch than your 4k but in fairness I haven’t done the math
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don’t the the ultra wide is any less vertical real estate that yours. Your vertical is by your flanking portrait monitors which could be done the same with an ultra wide.

In fact the ultra wide likely has more vertical pixels per inch than your 4k but in fairness I haven’t done the math
View Quote

Most ultrawides are 1440p.

A 4k is 1920p, so 33% more vertical pixels.

I RARELY miss them, even being in finance. I much prefer the single screen. When paired with FancyZones I can make spaces whatever size I need, but have the ability to go ultra wide if needed on a single window without splitting screens.

My biggest issues with 4k TVs is the fact that at distances used for monitors, the flat nature induces a lot of eye strain and contorts images given how much closer the center of the screen is to the eye vs the edges.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been using an LG 38WN95C-W for over a year as my main office monitor for my Macbook and have been happy with it.  When moving from a smaller large format monitor it does take some getting used to though.  

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/38wn95c-w
View Quote

+1 here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Most ultrawides are 1440p.

A 4k is 1920p, so 33% more vertical pixels.

I RARELY miss them, even being in finance. I much prefer the single screen. When paired with FancyZones I can make spaces whatever size I need, but have the ability to go ultra wide if needed on a single window without splitting screens.

My biggest issues with 4k TVs is the fact that at distances used for monitors, the flat nature induces a lot of eye strain and contorts images given how much closer the center of the screen is to the eye vs the edges.
View Quote

A standard 4K monitor has 2160P. I have created my own 6000 x "2000"(1920,2160,1920) pixel display with my cheap setup and it works wonderfully. A TV = monitor. There is no practical difference with modern televisions and modern monitors when being used as a display. LG OLED are very popular televisions that are frequently used as monitors. I use a cheap TCL monitor, but it supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and text is nice and crisp. Televisions come in many sizes, just like monitors. If you put a 60" television on your desktop, you are going to have problems. You need to look at the ratio of physical size to available pixels (pixel pitch) to size the display for the use case. A 43" 4K television is identical to four 22" 1080p monitors "glued" together with no bezels to worry about. Pixel pitch is in the ballpark for standard desktop traditional monitors. 40"-50" is the recommended 4K size to achieve standard pixel pitch for productivity for most users.

I agree that curved would probably be better. My flanking vertical monitors are angled in normal to my view center as a poor mans curved display. I don't think I can fit/use any more screen real estate productively.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
They don't make them big enough IMO.  I've been using dual 32" monitors for years, the 49's are about the same size as dual 27's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]

QHD G9 or 4K Neo G9?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

QHD G9 or 4K Neo G9?
View Quote

I bought mine before the Neo came out.

Mine is the gen 2 G9 that has 240hz refresh rate. The earlier models were only 120hz.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have experience with the Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G8 4K or 34" G8 OLED?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top