Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2020 12:26:35 AM EDT
Need to run software that I had running on Windows Xp Pro 64 bit about ten or twelve years ago and I just checked to see what are the max hardware specs since the original hardware was acting flaky the last time I used it so I want to run as new hardware as I can..

So....
"Supports up to 128 GB of RAM.[9]
Supports up to two physical CPUs (in separate physical sockets) and up to 64 logical processors (i.e. cores or threads on a single CPU). As such, As of 2014, the OS supports all commercially available multicore CPUs, including Intel Core series, or AMD FX series."

Two E5-2643 V1 four core cpu's with hyperthreading with max turbo of ~3.6 Ghz.....so 16 threads..... yep

128 GB of ram....yep

Nvidia GTX 960....yep.........its the last NVIDIA video card series with drivers for Windows Xp 64bit.

I ordered a Ender 3 3D printer I want to run the version of Solid Works that I have but does not not work on Windows 7 or newer versions of Windows so I have the hardware sitting unused so...... what the hell.

No it will not go online and yes I already have AutoDesk Fusion 360 but it's still new to me but I used solid Works a ton back in the day and I want to use both for now.

And yes I already tried SW in a VM and it worked ok but I did not really like the virtual graphics performance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And yes I already tried SW in a VM and it worked ok but I did not really like the virtual graphics performance.
View Quote

VirtualBox? Everyone knows if you want decent gfx in VM you need to use VMWare...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

VirtualBox? Everyone knows if you want decent gfx in VM you need to use VMWare...
View Quote

Nope, KVM on Ubuntu 20.04.

Even added more video ram in the VM which helped but I have been wanting to do a killer XP build for a while and I thought now is the time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nope, KVM on Ubuntu 20.04.

Even added more video ram in the VM which helped but I have been wanting to do a killer XP build for a while and I thought now is the time.
View Quote

KVM also not known for stellar gfx performance. But if you git it runnin' on the iron, props.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Can XP even address that much ram?

nvm, VM, not bare metal
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

nvm, VM, not bare metal
View Quote

Xp 64bit can use up to 128 gig's.

Also its going to run on real hardware not in a VM, I already tried it in a VM.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a killer x64 bit XP build a long time ago, back when XP was all there was.  It was darn near impossible to find software for it as it was particularly rare at the time.  I remember Kaspersky was the only available AV software for plain folk. I had a 4 HDD Raid 0 Array for mine, booted insanely quick (for the time period).  THis was of course before SSDs.

Don't forget to load the SATA drivers on install. Unless they fixed that in later releases.  That was annoying.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a killer x64 bit XP build a long time ago, back when XP was all there was.  It was darn near impossible to find software for it as it was particularly rare at the time.  I remember Kaspersky was the only available AV software for plain folk. I had a 4 HDD Raid 0 Array for mine, booted insanely quick (for the time period).  THis was of course before SSDs.

Don't forget to load the SATA drivers on install. Unless they fixed that in later releases.  That was annoying.
View Quote

Good luck finding a floppy drive...
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
3.5" floppy drives can be found on Ebay, and probably for less on Craigslist.  You can probably get an entire floppy-equipped pc at Goodwill.  Some e-recycle places will set aside old hardware they think would be worth something to a collector.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could also just slipstream the drivers using nLite. Which is what I did for that particular build, just to try it. Of course back then it was unnecessary as floppy drives were still sold at Microcenter. Maybe they still are, I haven’t looked.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm surprised a GTX 960 would work. I though you'd have to get an 8800 or 9800 or something.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I have probably 15 or 18 floppy drives in my pile, but that board does not have a floppy controller and I should not need a floppy since both the sata chipsets have IDE mode.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm surprised a GTX 960 would work. I though you'd have to get an 8800 or 9800 or something.
View Quote

A GTX 960 is the newest video card with XP drivers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
3.5" floppy drives can be found on Ebay, and probably for less on Craigslist.  You can probably get an entire floppy-equipped pc at Goodwill.  Some e-recycle places will set aside old hardware they think would be worth something to a collector.
View Quote

I actually just ordered a new USB floppy drive off of Amazon. Realized I had some software I needed to get off of floppy and don't have any hardware capable of reading it. That being said, it turns into a .img file and I can then load it into a virtual floppy dirve in ESXi (I've got DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1, 98SE, XP and 7 running on VMs there).
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I dropped a Core 2 Duo in my ThinkPad T60 and put Windows XP x64 Edition on it. Basically pointless. Microsoft's compilers were still slower targeting AMD64 than i686 back then.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dropped a Core 2 Duo in my ThinkPad T60 and put Windows XP x64 Edition on it. Basically pointless. Microsoft's compilers were still slower targeting AMD64 than i686 back then.
View Quote

I ran Xp 64bit for a few years, it REALLY SUCKED ASS the first few months after release, hardly any drivers.

Went back to XP 32 bit for about six months until all the drivers I needed were released.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Well spent a little time tonight and finished it, all I need to do is connect all the peripherals then power it up.

I'll do that tomorrow.

I ended up adding a PCi-e usb 3.0 card and a PCI sound card since this is a server motherboard and not a workstation board.

Also used a EVGA 750 watt ps. small 120 Gb SSD for boot and a 1TB WD black hard drive for storage.

The sound card might no stay depending on if the onboard LAN will have working drivers or not, if no lan then i'll add a PCI network card and use a PCi-e sound card.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh I have probably 15 or 18 floppy drives in my pile, but that board does not have a floppy controller and I should not need a floppy since both the sata chipsets have IDE mode.
View Quote

I just realized I haven't even seen a board with an IDE controller going on 15 years or more.  The last PC I built that had a 3.5 would have been in the late 90's.  I think IDE optical drives were gone around 2004 so that pretty much was it for IDE.  I miss the old days.  Going to watch LGR on YouTube now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nvm, VM, not bare metal

XP 64 bit was a shit OS that didn't really run properly ever on anything.  As I recall it had drivers for almost nothing and was extremely unstable.  It was MS' first stab at a 64 bit OS and it failed miserably.  

You're going to most likely get stuck having to run 32 bit and stick with 4gb of ram.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

XP 64 bit was a shit OS that didn't really run properly ever on anything.  As I recall it had drivers for almost nothing and was extremely unstable.  It was MS' first stab at a 64 bit OS and it failed miserably.  

You're going to most likely get stuck having to run 32 bit and stick with 4gb of ram.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nvm, VM, not bare metal

I ran it on my main pc for four or five years until Windows 7 came out, I only had driver issues when it first came out after that it worked ok.

Plan B is Windows 2008 R2 server but i'm not sure about video card drivers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just realized I haven't even seen a board with an IDE controller going on 15 years or more.  The last PC I built that had a 3.5 would have been in the late 90's.  I think IDE optical drives were gone around 2004 so that pretty much was it for IDE.  I miss the old days.  Going to watch LGR on YouTube now.
View Quote

I remember on the first PC I built in high school, I had to reuse some old parts and had some drive that was IDE. It was hard finding a mobo to support it. I can't remember if I did or if I found a stata/IDE conversion cable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
SATA on an IDE controller is trivial .. I just got a couple of these to run an SSD in an old P-III Win98SE box.  

You're still limited to DMA66 speeds, but it's worlds better than a spinner.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Booting up the windows install disc.

I had to remove some sticks of ram , the cpu cooler was not allowing them to seat fully and the it spit out memory errors on the slots closest to the cooler.

Only 96 gigs now.

Well that did not go well, XP choked immediately.

Going with plan B, 2008 R2 server 64 bit.

Also the Nvidia 64bit Vista driver worked on server 2008 R2, I was not expecting it to so that was a nice surprise.

I guess I need to slipstream drivers into the XP install disk or get a usb floppy.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I installed XP 64 bit in Virtualbox to be able to slipstream the marvel driver into the install iso.

My dvd burner kept erroring out with cdr's so i used a dvdr.

So i'll reboot with my fresh xp disk to see if it sees the sata drives.

Saga continues....

Supposedly the marvell drivers were for version 91xx and 92xx , the mobo has 92xx, but did not work.

So looks like Im done trying to install XP 64 bit because of lack of drivers.

But 2008 R2 server works GREAT, now I need to install Solid Works.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn Windows......for some damn reason it set the page file to over 98 gigs on my 120 gig C: drive.

Now it's not wanting to activate, so i'm going to let it update then try again.

The error was something to do with the time was not set correctly even tho it was, so I had to do the phone activation to get it to activate.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Well the reason I wanted to install my version of SolidWorks on XP 64bit was because it did not work with Windows 7 or newer.

But since that was a no go and I had to install Server 08 R2 instead but I started to mess with the settings and services to get it to look better than Windows Classic.

So I turned on sound, themes and a couple of other things and now it looks like this with zero mods just enabling the eyecandy stuff that is turned off by default on Windows server os's.

I was not aware that 2008 R2 server came with Windows 7 theme but just disabled, I thought it still had the Vista theme not Windows 7.

I'm a happy camper, all the functionality and looks of windows 7.

SWEET!!

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Solid works installed just fine but crashes.......

Lots of errors.

Wasted lots of time tracking them down and nothing helped.

Will need to fall back and punt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Try with XP 32 bit...
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]
It's a shame I can't install it on the high end hardware that I have.

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Wasn’t there a generic SATA driver in those days that you could slipstream in? I used the same disc to install x64 XP on a half dozen machines. Unless they all had the same controller.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I ended up signing up for a free for non commercial use Autoesk Fusion 360 and running it on my main Ryzen pc.

Defiantly different......

Also I installed Xp 64bit in a VM and still can run solid works decently enough.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Instead of wasting time trying to build this system to run obsolete software on an obsolete OS, wouldn’t it be a better use of your time to learn Fusion 360 on a modern OS?

Edit: oops. Sorry. I just saw your last post. Good move. I know learning Fusion will be take time...it’s a complicated product. And you already know SolidWorks. But I still think this is the best use of your time. And I bet your SolidWorks background speeds up your adoption of Fusion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top