Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 9/17/2021 3:32:58 PM EDT
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/politics/kabul-drone-strike-us-military-intl-hnk/index.html

(CNN)A United States military investigation into a deadly Kabul drone strike in August has found that it killed 10 civilians and the driver and the vehicle targeted was likely not a threat associated with ISIS-K, Gen. Frank McKenzie, the top general of US Central Command, announced at the Pentagon on Friday.

McKenzie told reporters at the Pentagon that the strike was a "mistake" and offered an apology.
"This strike was taken in the earnest belief that it would prevent an imminent threat to our forces and the evacuees at the airport, but it was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology," McKenzie said.
McKenzie added that he is "fully responsible for this strike and this tragic outcome."
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Our bad. JK
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
So he’s resigning then right? That’s how it works when you fuck up egregiously, right? Especially when people die, right?

I won’t hold me breath.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#6]
That totally won't inspire any future terrorists even more reason to hate the USA. Good job Biden. In a rush to try to make it look like he was all tough and was gonna get revenge for the US mil members that he went and blew a bunch of kids up. Wonder how long it will be till we find out that the 'intel' that they had came direct from the Taliban.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
So if an enlisted (or even a junior commissioned officer) killed a civilian outside of direct combat operations they would get court-martialed to hell and back. What's a general get? Retirement?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how/why they targeted the family. Doing drone surveillance and see him loading water drums into car, assume it was explosives or got some intel from their comrades in the taliban?

Either way, to just go ahead and let the Hellfire fly was crazy irresponsible and stupid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So we just killed 10 innocent people because a politician who fucked up needed to look like he did something?

View Quote

It wasn't followed by a mean tweet though, so its cool.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
What exactly does he mean by "fully responsible?"

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So we just killed 10 innocent people because a politician who fucked up needed to look like he did something?

View Quote

Ummmm…. Yup.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly, while it sucks that this occurred there's a whole bunch more to be enraged at this administration than this...or are we manufacturing rage now like the Left?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So if an enlisted (or even a junior commissioned officer) killed a civilian outside of direct combat operations they would get court-martialed to hell and back. What's a general get? Retirement?
View Quote

Who authorized this strike? Is this sort of thing not approved from very high up?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Mighty fine police drone work, Lou Biden.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, come on, McKenzie offered up his sincere apologies, so it's okaysies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey, what was that members name that said he'd "Seent it" and that it was the best airstrike ever, and that we were all assholes for questioning the politically driven airstrike commanded by the Potato in Chief?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#18]
This isn't news and was reported on day 1 . They're just finally admitting to what we already know .
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Who authorized this strike? Is this sort of thing not approved from very high up?
View Quote

Knowing this administration it was probably a Harvard or Yalie white house intern who gave the nod because mommy and daddy made a big contribution to the DNC
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I was promised there was evidence of secondary explosions and the strike was legit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]
We knew that within minutes
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Honestly, while it sucks that this occurred there's a whole bunch more to be enraged at this administration than this...or are we manufacturing rage now like the Left?
View Quote
I dunno shooting a hellfire missile at innocent kids is pretty horrible
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey, what was that members name that said he'd "Seent it" and that it was the best airstrike ever, and that we were all assholes for questioning the politically driven airstrike commanded by the Potato in Chief?
View Quote

Oncorhynchusman84
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We knew that within minutes
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Wasn't this a couple weeks ago?

What difference does it make?

(Sarcasm)
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#26]
That explain why the dented potato took off for his beach house this morning. God forbid if he had to answer questions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Wonder how many more enemies of the United States we just made?

They may have already hated us, but this damn sure doesn't win hearts and minds.

Who knew indiscriminately shooting off Hellfires with no assets on the ground to confirm the veracity of your 'intel' was a bad idea?

Fucking clowns all the way to the top.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What exactly does he mean by "fully responsible?"

View Quote
Has anyone in the history of uttering that phrase ever actually been held "fully responsible"?

Because if I admitted to killing 10 people, I think "full responsibility" ends with me in prison.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Faggot liberals working for the WH coward
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, the Biden admin wasted 12 random people including 7 kids in *our* name to "avenge" the fuck up the engineered that resulted in a suicide bomber killing 13 Americans and a whole lot more Afghans who were trying to escape the Taliban.

They then bragged about getting the "people responsible" for the suicide bombing.

And continued to lie when the reports came out about who was actually killed.

Which, in a nutshell, is everything that is wrong about the Biden administration.

Gross incompetence and malfeasance leading to American deaths and allied deaths followed by lies to cover up the incompetence.

The same thing is happening on the border.

The same thing is happening with respect to the people we left behind in Afghanistan.  How many Americans?  We don't know.  But the media isn't there to report on it anymore, so, well, good luck.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And waited until Friday afternoon to admit it so the story would fizzle out over the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So wanting someone to be held accountable for such an incredibly significant error is manufacturing rage?

Oh and what else has this admin done that is a whole bunch worse?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So, if I am not mistaken, that means that there were basically NO CONSEQUENCES to ISIS-K (or whomever) for killing 13 US service members?

View Quote

More M4s and MRAPs will be dropped on them I suppose?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#37]
...including 7 children.

Children that Biden will never be able to sniff...
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This isn't news and was reported on day 1 . They're just finally admitting to what we already know .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why don't they admit it was the Taliban that gave us the intel...because methinks that's who told us.  You know, our good friends.

Quoted:
So, if I am not mistaken, that means that there were basically NO CONSEQUENCES to ISIS-K (or whomever) for killing 13 US service members?

Yes.  I'm sure the Taliban told us it was where ISIS-K was and that's why we went after these people...because the Taliban would never lie about ISIS-K to us.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#39]
So we suck at war and the French had to defend us?  OOF.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#40]
As a former soldier working in Targeting,  this looks a lot like making the dots join to appease political pressure.

None of the steps the General outlined filled the "SO WHAT?" test.

It really looked like the decision to use kinetic means was made well before any evidence real PID .

The claim there was any notable secondaries was not really plausible when you saw the pictures of the vehicle there was just too much of it left and too little damage to the houses.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So wanting someone to be held accountable for such an incredibly significant error is manufacturing rage?

Oh and what else has this admin done that is a whole bunch worse?
View Quote

I mean, I don't like it either, but it sounds like just another day in 21st Century American Foreign Policy

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are pissed that his poor leadership resulted in the deaths of 13 Soldiers.    And left unknown numbers left behind.  We just admitted to killing 10 civilians.  How pissed do you think they will be.   I hope I am wrong that I fear retaliation against those left behind.

If Biden authored a book it would be entitled "How To Alienate Friends,  And Embolden Your Enemies"

I
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Does the general also take responsibility for lying to the American people when they originally said that there were massive secondary explosions that "proved" they'd destroyed a VBIED?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

In a nutshell.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

pretty much

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

They don’t care about that, they just needed political cover.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]
If this happened during Trump, the MSM would have 24/7 coverage.

We will at best hear a 15 sec blurb.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#49]
'It was a mistake and I offer my sincere apology,' McKenzie said.

Full responsibility.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#50]
The level of incompetence is staggering.

Not a single person of consequence will lose his or her position over this or find any negative impact on their career whatsoever. Not a single political price in the USA will be paid, because so few care.  

Meanwhile there are scores of dead, wounded, trillions of dollars wasted, alliances strained, and new enemies created.  Hey, in the end though the Presidency has more power than it did before 9/11 and a lot of people in D.C. and connected to D.C. got very wealthy so there is that I suppose.  

To all the GWOT vets you have my deep sympathy and I can't imagine what you're going through and will go through as you begin to process this entire debacle.  Just know that there are Americans who deeply respect and appreciate what you have done and there are some Americans who will actually help veterans beyond just catchy slogans and hollow praise. God bless you all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top