Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2021 9:53:24 PM EDT
Interesting video.  It's widely known that the Zero's performance shocked the US when it was first encountered, but something I didn't know is how inaccurate US field manuals and spotter guides were early in the war regarding other types, many of which didn't exist.  Some of the aircraft listed seem to be the result of poorly translated (or no serious translation was attempted of) Japanese publications that were discussing foreign warplanes, or civilian planes, or just proposal sketches that never became hardware.  Some were the result of varying eyewitness accounts from the war in China, or intentional Japanese disinformation, or comic books.  Some, dangerously, were even common US military aircraft that had no doppelgangers in Japanese service.  Brings home how in the dark the US military was at the time.

Japanese Blunder Weapons - The TAIU Bloopers of the Pacific War

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not much different than the Sherman crews who were told their tanks were the best in the world.  Then ran into some battle tested German tanks with much better guns mounted on them.  Shot holes right through the Shermans
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There was basically no way to get Intel out of Japan.  We had military attaches but they hid their important stuff from them.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was basically no way to get Intel out of Japan.  We had military attaches but they hid their important stuff from them.  
View Quote

I recall reading what intel the US did get was mostly derived from the Chinese theater. Certainly the Flying Tigers air squadron supplied intel on the Zero's.

Problem was too often the intel weenies had their minds made up & nothing was going to change that. MacArthur's G2, Willoughby (sp?) was notorious for rejecting anything MacA felt went against his feelz. That was evident when the Chinese entered the Korea War.

US intel in the pre-WW2 era was solely lacking in competence. This continued into WW2, which is why Roosevelt invented the CIA with its Ivy League pedigree with Bill Donavan's crew.

Some might argue that military intel's issues continue to this day as far as rejecting things which go against their pre-conceived beliefs. I'll leave that to others to decide.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
US Intelligence has many things wrong with respect to Japan pre- and early-WW2. Their naval torpedo doctrine, and the capabilities of their torpedoes, was presented in a report pre-Pearl Harbor and ignored for a couple years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some were the result of varying eyewitness accounts from the war in China,
View Quote
I'm going to go out on a limb here..

I doubt there were few if any Zeros in China since that was primarily fought by the IJA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I enjoyed this recent analysis.

The A6M Naval Carrier Fighter - Zero or Hero?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt there were few if any Zeros in China since that was primarily fought by the IJA.
View Quote
IJN naval aviation played a major part in the war on China, including Zero squadrons in 1940 and 1941 (and later).  Sometimes operating off of carriers, sometimes airfields.  The Chinese air force (ROCAF) put up an effective resistance at times, enough to sharpen the IJN and teach them good tactics.  That's why they kicked our ass so hard 1941 and 1942, their guys were veterans, many of them aces, flying with a plan that had all the wrinkles ironed out, with most of the dead wood long since KIA or shuffled out of the way.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.

Naval Intelligence did a better job with ships.  While details of the Yamato class were vague, Naval Intelligence thought the guns were only 16".   Didn't matter i the long run. We used aeroplanes to sink both of them (and torpedoes fired from the submarine Archerfish to sink the converted carrier from that class).
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The very first victories tallied by the Zero were over Chunking, China in July 1940. It is true the majority of Japanese fighters in China were Army Ki-43 Oscars and similar, but the Zero was operated over China long before Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting video.  It's widely known that the Zero's performance shocked the US when it was first encountered, but something I didn't know is how inaccurate US field manuals and spotter guides were early in the war regarding other types, many of which didn't exist.  Some of the aircraft listed seem to be the result of poorly translated (or no serious translation was attempted of) Japanese publications that were discussing foreign warplanes, or civilian planes, or just proposal sketches that never became hardware.  Some were the result of varying eyewitness accounts from the war in China, or intentional Japanese disinformation, or comic books.  Some, dangerously, were even common US military aircraft that had no doppelgangers in Japanese service.  Brings home how in the dark the US military was at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZieEcRROV0
View Quote

For those interested in Pre WW2 intel on the Japanese, and how the U.S. did so poorly-

Prelude to Pearl Harbor

It was less a failure of those actually in theatre, and more a failure of those in the upper echelons.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Probably not much different than the Sherman crews who were told their tanks were the best in the world.  Then ran into some battle tested German tanks with much better guns mounted on them.  Shot holes right through the Shermans
View Quote

In it's defense, for what it was tasked to do, there were none better.

Hunnicutt's "Sherman" is worth a read, if you can borrow a copy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For those interested in Pre WW2 intel on the Japanese, and how the U.S. did so poorly-

Prelude to Pearl Harbor

It was less a failure of those actually in theatre, and more a failure of those in the upper echelons.
View Quote
Just ordered a copy, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just ordered a copy, thanks.
View Quote

Glad to help, I own a copy that obviously saw a lot of use (and sun) given how faded the dustjacket is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

When you can DRIVE to the fight, you can have a bigger tank with more armor and a bigger gun.

When you have to pack them into Liberty Ships, and then dock at a pier with a crane big enough to unload them, to get them to the fight, nothing beats a Sherman in the time period.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Japan did operate small numbers of captured Brewster Buffalos, P-40, and B-17.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Naval Intelligence did a better job with ships.  While details of the Yamato class were vague, Naval Intelligence thought the guns were only 16".   Didn't matter i the long run. We used aeroplanes to sink both of them (and torpedoes fired from the submarine Archerfish to sink the converted carrier from that class).
View Quote

Not really.  The Alaska class was a response, in part, to the Naval Intelligence belief that Japanese pocket battleships in the German style were under construction.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Japan did operate small numbers of captured Brewster Buffalos, P-40, and B-17.
View Quote
Even used them in their war movies.  Kato Hayabusa Sento-tai, or Colonel Kato's Falcon Squadron (1944) is a Hollywood-style movie about a famed fighter squadron CO.  They fly Buffalos and P-40's in some of the battle scenes.  The special effects are by Toho and supervised by the guy wo went on to make the classic Godzilla movies:

Kato Hayabusa Sento-tai (1944) w/ English Subtitles (complete)

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZieEcRROV0
View Quote
Also of note the Wildcat was able to dogfight with zeros later on once they figured out what not to do. The Zero and many other Japanese fighters borrowed from 1930s US aircraft , mostly racing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top