Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 60
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She is such a narcissistic fucking asshole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet she votes to confirm, Collins will follow.

https://i.imgur.com/7hVT7Vx.png

If Democrats were counting on Lisa Murkowski to vote against President Trump’s next nominee to the Supreme Court, they should think again.

Sen. Murkowski said Tuesday she could not rule out that she would vote to confirm a Trump nominee if the Judiciary Committee approves one before the November election.

“I know everybody wants to ask the question, ‘will you confirm the nominee?’” she said outside the Capitol, as her Republican colleagues were gathering for their weekly policy lunch. “We don’t have a nominee yet. You and I don’t know who that is. And so I can’t confirm whether or not I can confirm a nominee when I don’t know who the nominee is.”

snip

Murkowski said Tuesday she still opposes a Senate confirmation vote this close to an election.

“I do not support this process moving forward,” she said. “Now, having said that, this process is moving forward with or without me.”

Murkowski said she did not know whether she would withhold her vote to protest the timing of the appointment, but she said the quality of the confirmation process would be a factor.

“If I had felt that there was a rush to move this through because you’re up against a deadline that is hard and fast, like an election, and that a nominee had not been thoroughly and fairly evaluated through our process, then I’m going to have to look at that,” she said. KTOO

She is such a narcissistic fucking asshole.

How do states like AZ and AK vote in such horrible Republican senators?  Here in bluer than blue Oregon I expect nothing less than full retard Democrats.  It why do more conservative states have long serving R senators that are such turncoats as Murkowski and McCain?

Having my morning coffee and saw this thread title, Wow it is real still!! Going to be another grand day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Doesn't mean he'll vote Yes. He left a weasely way out in his statement.

That being said, now it's reported that Collins is going to vote No. What an asshole. The least she could do is decline to vote at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This may have been posted, don’t care.  My mind is fucking blown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mitt-romney-says-he-supports-moving-ahead-with-trump-supreme-court-nominee

Doesn't mean he'll vote Yes. He left a weasely way out in his statement.

That being said, now it's reported that Collins is going to vote No. What an asshole. The least she could do is decline to vote at all.

He loves the attention he creates from the drama he manufactures.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are Dems wise enough to hold back, knowing they won't stop the vote anyway, or go all out as usual spewing hatred of anyone in their way and REALLY show true colors of how they feel toward other women/moms to the Karen soccer moms they pander do regularly

We can only hope...
View Quote
They can't hold back because if they did their rabid base would eat them alive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Ted Cruz blocks a U.S. Senate resolution to honor Ruth Bader Ginsburg, citing a “partisan” amendment

WASHINGTON — A ceremonial resolution honoring the life of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg failed in the Senate on Tuesday after U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz objected to language his Democratic counterparts added noting her dying wish that a successor not be chosen until after the presidential inauguration early next year.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/22/ted-cruz-supreme-court/
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ted Cruz blocks a U.S. Senate resolution to honor Ruth Bader Ginsburg, citing a "partisan" amendment

WASHINGTON  A ceremonial resolution honoring the life of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg failed in the Senate on Tuesday after U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz objected to language his Democratic counterparts added noting her dying wish that a successor not be chosen until after the presidential inauguration early next year.

View Quote
Lion Ted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]

I could listen to Senator Cruz discuss Constitutional Law all day every day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ted Cruz blocks a U.S. Senate resolution to honor Ruth Bader Ginsburg, citing a “partisan” amendment

WASHINGTON — A ceremonial resolution honoring the life of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg failed in the Senate on Tuesday after U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz objected to language his Democratic counterparts added noting her dying wish that a successor not be chosen until after the presidential inauguration early next year.

View Quote

Good eye, Ted.  That kind of unsubstantiated bullshit has no place in official government actions.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sharp dude who could have beat Trump had he not pandered to the religious. Had he let his religious beliefs been known but not his platform he would be potus right now.

He is a smart, articulate man who knows his job. If anything he could win in 24 if he likes. The GOP needs to break the mold and not try to make the VP the chosen one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#10]

man the news media are a bunch of faggots clearly on the democrats side. Anyone who can't see that is tarded.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Assuming Trump is re-elected, then Thomas can retire sometime in the next four years and Cruz would be a fitting replacement.  Or shit Breyer is 82 I don’t care as long as he’s on there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Assuming Trump is re-elected, then Thomas can retire sometime in the next four years and Cruz would be a fitting replacement.  Or shit Breyer is 82 I don’t care as long as he’s on there.
View Quote

Cruz thinks he can do more in the Senate and I am beginning to think he is correct.

Get a couple more Non-Roberts/Right thinking Justices and Cruz in charge of the Senate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trump will need the senate, too.  Lets make sure we give it to him.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Assuming Trump is re-elected, then Thomas can retire sometime in the next four years and Cruz would be a fitting replacement.  Or shit Breyer is 82 I don't care as long as he's on there.
View Quote

You are assuming we hold the senate for Trump's second term.
Even now the senate is looking shaky for 2020.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sharp dude who could have beat Trump had he not pandered to the religious. Had he let his religious beliefs been known but not his platform he would be potus right now.

He is a smart, articulate man who knows his job. If anything he could win in 24 if he likes. The GOP needs to break the mold and not try to make the VP the chosen one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like him, I voted for him in the primary...he could not have beaten Trump imo.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Ruth Bader Ginsburg's 120 law clerks file down the steps of the Supreme Court to meet her casket as she lies in repose for two day public viewing - with Trump to pay his respects tomorrow

Chief Justice John Roberts gave the eulogy for Ginsburg as her family and fellow justices honored her legacy

Her former law clerks - 120 in total - await the casket of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to arrive at the Supreme Court

Family members of Justice Ruth Bader - including Jane C. Ginsburg - wait her casket to arrive at the court

Thousands of mourners are expected to pay tribute to Ginsburg and the lines went down the street by the Supreme Court with the Capitol Dome in the distance

More Pics
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How do states like AZ and AK vote in such horrible Republican senators?  Here in bluer than blue Oregon I expect nothing less than full retard Democrats.  It why do more conservative states have long serving R senators that are such turncoats as Murkowski and McCain?

Having my morning coffee and saw this thread title, Wow it is real still!! Going to be another grand day.
View Quote

Good question.......I honestly don't know other than to say that right wingers are less prone, by nature, to march in lock step with each other on a grand scale like Marxists are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
120 clerks?!   Holy shit.  

When I read about how someone “clerked” for a Supreme Court Justice, I thought that meant they worked closely with the Justice and really knew them.  I didn’t realize they had an infantry company of clerks working for them.
View Quote

And guess how many black clerks RBG had in 25 years?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When I read about how someone “clerked” for a Supreme Court Justice, I thought that meant they worked closely with the Justice and really knew them.  I didn’t realize they had an infantry company of clerks working for them.
View Quote

I heard the selection process to be a clerk is insane.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Note that all of her clerks but one were white.  She was a racist. She had a history of saying racist stuff   And yet the woke left idolizes her.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be honest I don't think that is that out of line with other long serving SCOTUS justices.........Rehnquist probably had as many or came close IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When I read about how someone "clerked" for a Supreme Court Justice, I thought that meant they worked closely with the Justice and really knew them.  I didn't realize they had an infantry company of clerks working for them.
View Quote
Its only 3-4 per term. She's been there a while, so these are current clerks and "alumni" I would presume.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Law school grades are on a bell curve. They also utilize affirmative action to have a certain percentage of black students. Guess who was at the bottom of the curve, IME? Those who didn't academically qualify for admission in the first place were not able to out-compete those who did. The process was not biased based on race. But the outcome clearly ended up that way. That didn't apply to black students who did not get in based on the application of AA. To get a SC clerkship you have to be the best of the best of the class at the best schools. No matter how much you want to, you can't create fake law school grades. Not yet anyways. Speaking of race, I suspect that you'll find this group of qualified people to be disproportionately female, and probably Asian female. Just a hunch.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Law school grades are on a bell curve. They also utilize affirmative action to have a certain percentage of black students. Guess who was at the bottom of the curve, IME? Those who didn't academically qualify for admission in the first place were not able to out-compete those who did. The process was not biased based on race. But the outcome clearly ended up that way. That didn't apply to black students who did not get in based on the application of AA. To get a SC clerkship you have to be the best of the best of the class at the best schools. No matter how much you want to, you can't create fake law school grades. Not yet anyways. Speaking of race, I suspect that you'll find this group of qualified people to be disproportionately female, and probably Asian female. Just a hunch.
View Quote

This.

SCOTUS Justices are NOT gonna pick anything less than The Best & The Brightest just because "muh diversity."  Too much is at stake.

Plus, SCOTUS Justices tend to want clerks who just spent 1-2 years clerking for a US Circuit Court of Appeals judge, so the clerks tend to come recommended.  A substandard or mediocre clerk for an appellate judge isn't gonna get recommended to SCOTUS for a clerk job because it will reflect poorly upon that appellate judge.  They really don't want SCOTUS reviewing a case they ruled upon and saying "Oh yeah, I remember that judge, he recommended that one clerk to me who turned out to be a lazy shitbag.  I'll fix HIS little red wagon..."
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like him, I voted for him in the primary...he could not have beaten Trump imo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree and also voted for him in the primary, although Scott Walker was far and away my first choice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they rotate out every year or two, so maybe 3-5 at a time
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

120 people looking for a new job now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Casket has to be empty.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Plus, SCOTUS Justices tend to want clerks who just spent 1-2 years clerking for a US Circuit Court of Appeals judge, so the clerks tend to come recommended.
View Quote

It's an important barrier to ensure plebians don't get that credential.  You have to be able to float that six figure law school debt for 2-3 years before getting a real job.  Only patricians can do that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's an important barrier to ensure plebians don't get that credential.  You have to be able to float that six figure law school debt for 2-3 years before getting a real job.  Only patricians can do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus, SCOTUS Justices tend to want clerks who just spent 1-2 years clerking for a US Circuit Court of Appeals judge, so the clerks tend to come recommended.

My law degree tuition for all 3 years was around 30k total. UNC Chapel Hill. My youngest brother's undergraduate French degree was something like 300k.

I'm not sure what you're looking at with Harvard or Yale. But I'm all for getting away from the ivy leagues.

I still like Judge Stickman out of PA for the seat. He went to Duquesne.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll feel safer once she is in the ground.

If I had a 'famous person most likely to come back as the undead' list, she'd be at the top.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zero?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh okay - that would make a lot more sense!   I thought it meant that she literally had 120 clerks working for her right now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I read about how someone "clerked" for a Supreme Court Justice, I thought that meant they worked closely with the Justice and really knew them.  I didn't realize they had an infantry company of clerks working for them.
Its only 3-4 per term. She's been there a while, so these are current clerks and "alumni" I would presume.

Oh okay - that would make a lot more sense!   I thought it meant that she literally had 120 clerks working for her right now.  

Even the district court level federal judges have 2 or 3 clerks working for them at a time. Which is a central component of why federal court is so much better IMO than state court. In many, if not most, of state courts, the judges have maybe one clerk at a time who is most likely fresh out of law school, and with high turnover. The dockets are much more busy as well. So the lawyers end up drafting their own orders and the judge approves, or disproves, or modifies.... In federal court you generally get written and published high quality opinions out of important motions at the trial court level. I can't overstate the importance of getting legitimate rulings, in writing, that are not propaganda from either side's lawyer. This allows you a proper record for appeal. Many of these clerks stay for longer periods, or even do it as a career. Research, reading and writing.

I have been in the SCOTUS building behind the scenes with the clerks and in the justices' offices - the back rooms - back when I worked at the DOJ. It was part of the orientation, to introduce you to absolutely everybody. And then stick you with needles for some reason. Which is possibly why I have so far been immune to the Wuhan flu..... The first time I went to a rheumatologist, they did a blood test, and they were like WTF...
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I really liked Ted Cruz during the primaries (and I agree that he is very smart and very articulate), but I don't think 2016 Ted Cruz would have beaten Hillary.  He came across as somewhat low energy and not very charismatic.
View Quote
I like Ted Cruz a lot, voted for him in the primaries.   He was unelectable pre-beard.   He has an extremely punchable face, the beard helps disguise that.  
No way he would have beaten Hillary.   Even with the beard, I think he'd have a tough time building enough excitement to get the turnout needed to beat someone like Biden.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Soon....
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What a great point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the hearings were actually a job interview, questions about the prospective justice's religion would be illegal.

What a great point.
No kidding.

Not to mention questions about their family, their relationship status, their age, etc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#43]
God they aren't even trying to hide media bias.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Four per year for Associates, the Chief gets five, and retired Justices get one IIRC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like Murkowski could be a yes now.  Would’ve loved to see her polling on the issue

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looks like Murkowski could be a yes now.  Would've loved to see her polling on the issue

View Quote
Yes!  Fall into line!
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks like Murkowski could be a yes now.  Would've loved to see her polling on the issue

View Quote

If they pull this off,I will officially say that Trump was wrong.

I am not, in fact, tired of winning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My law degree tuition for all 3 years was around 30k total. UNC Chapel Hill. My youngest brother's undergraduate French degree was something like 300k.
View Quote
You're not clerking for the S.Ct. on a plebian degree.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont celebrate just yet - wait till feinstein corners her in the hall at the russel building
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

dont celebrate just yet - wait till feinstein corners he in the hall at the russel building
View Quote

Look I put a qualifier on my statement. "If they pull this off".

I remain skeptical.
Page / 60
Top Top