Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2019 10:51:49 PM EDT
They were both from India ...Its not like we have a lot of people from India in the middle of Oklahoma

weird

The Blue Hole was closed during the recovery, but park officials say it will reopen sometime Friday evening.

This is the second drowning at Turner Falls during the holiday.

July 3 a 27-year-old woman, also from India, drowned after she and three others slipped off a ledge and fell into the water in a no-swimming area near the waterfall.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Its pretty well known that Indians in vacation destinations in Africa and the IO (Seychelles and Maldives) are pretty prone to overestimating their swimming capacity.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of Indians can't swim.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Since 2016, at least eight people have drowned at Turner Falls.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
holy crap didn't know it was that bad...why go hang out in a swimming hole with no lifeguards??
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Uh, there’s Indians all over Oklahoma.  Tribes even.  Gosh damnit
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
why did the city not hire lifeguards this year?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They were both from India ...Its not like we have a lot of people from India in the middle of Oklahoma

weird

The Blue Hole was closed during the recovery, but park officials say it will reopen sometime Friday evening.

July 3 a 27-year-old woman, also from India, drowned after she and three others slipped off a ledge and fell into the water in a no-swimming area near the waterfall.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Private park last time I was there
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its pretty well known that Indians in vacation destinations in Africa and the IO (Seychelles and Maldives) are pretty prone to overestimating their swimming capacity.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s not even that deep, I can touch bottom pretty much all the way to the falls.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Uh, there's Indians all over Oklahoma.  Tribes even.  Gosh damnit
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
7-11 corporate retreat?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI

IIRC, there’s a Wikipedia entry that covers all drownings in India. Quite a few examples where the deceased basically drowned in the equivalent of a large puddle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe it’s private.

A lot of times we would get there at 9 or 10pm, and only see the woman that took our money at the gate and maybe once at the falls during the night.

And they actually keep the falls well lit at night, for anyone else that hates crowds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Well known fact/true stereotype.

Friend used to lifeguard at a pool.in a town that hired a lot of Indian H1Bs for engineering work.

They started up with 2 extra lifeguards starting around 4-5 for Indian hour when they all got off work and brought the fam to the.pool.

Always a shitshow.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

only crap didn't know it was that bad...why go hang out in a swimming hole with no lifeguards??
View Quote
Because they’re from India. Had much interaction with them?
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
No reason to learn when your water is so polluted that you can just walk on it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
There is a video out there of 3 .Indians. drowning.

3 men, it is a sad, disturbing and pathetic sight.

Found one of them (2018). https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5761601/Three-men-accidentally-film-drowning-pond-India.html

There is another from 2015.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#22]
They went there to shit and paid the price
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I swim about 4 days a week at my gym.  I've seen a dozen Indian adult males try to swim in 4 feet of water and it looks like they are going to die.  They thrash about and totally panic within a few meters and have to stand up 2-3 times in a 25 meter pool.  They would die within a minute if they fell off a cliff or out of a boat.  They do send their kids to swimming lessons though. The little ones seem deathly afraid of water.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
They tried. Apparently, they didn't even have enough applicants apply for the lifeguards. It was on the local news a few times this fall that they were trying to get people to apply.

The people that place attracts now, I can see why the locals dont give a shit about working there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#25]
No poop or dead bodies to hang onto for flotation.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 11:59:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is a video out there of 3 .Indians. drowning.

3 men, it is a sad, disturbing and pathetic sight.

Found one of them (2018). https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5761601/Three-men-accidentally-film-drowning-pond-India.html

There is another from 2015.
View Quote
They could pretty much hop and make it if they didn't panic.  That water couldn't have been much more than five feet deep.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Turner falls is beautiful.
Just a friendly reminder.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

weird

View Quote
There was a bunch at Costco the other day.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Vacationing is a new concept for Indians. So for us certain common skills like the ability to swim, using sunscreen and not wrecking every toilet we find are newfangled concepts for them.

So we just need to keep letting them be themselves and the problem will sort itself out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#31]
In India the water is so full of sewage and garbage you really don’t need to swim, nor learn how to.. you sorta float on the shit.. toss someone who’s used that that into fresh water? Yup gonna have issues.. also explains why when I was on the phone with customer service, two of my calls went dead for no reason....
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Two Indian students died a year or two again when they decided to go swimming in a local lake...when the weather was starting to get bad.

One was deceased upon arrival and the other hung on in ICU until brain death was declared.

Yeah, Darwin and all that, but it’s still sad they died.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I was there last year around this same time. Very few white folks around....
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:04:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

FPNI

IIRC, there’s a Wikipedia entry that covers all drownings in India. Quite a few examples where the deceased basically drowned in the equivalent of a large puddle.
View Quote
That must make shithole diving a very marketable skill.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#36]
*Que the photos of indians floating face down in the river while kids are bathing*
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe the water is especially treacherous right now because of all the rain we’ve been having? I know they had to close Arcadia and it’s only now reopened.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Here’s an idea. Don’t go near any body of water if you have zero experience swimming or treading water. It ain’t rocket science.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#39]
MANY new immigrants where I live are from India. Their poor kids are in their teens, and in learn to swim classes. I'm glad they realize their kids need to learn to swim, just surprised it never occurred to them before moving here.  You can't read a book about swimming, you can't memorize how to swim from rote, you have to get in and do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I swim about 4 days a week at my gym.  I've seen a dozen Indian adult males try to swim in 4 feet of water and it looks like they are going to die.  They thrash about and totally panic within a few meters and have to stand up 2-3 times in a 25 meter pool.  They would die within a minute if they fell off a cliff or out of a boat.  They do send their kids to swimming lessons though. The little ones seem deathly afraid of water.
View Quote
If half of what I read on arf is true, I have a pretty good idea of why they're afraid of the water in India, at least.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It’s not even that deep, I can touch bottom pretty much all the way to the falls.
View Quote
Well, it only needs to be over you nose
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yea, my little ones were deathly afraid of water.  Kids learn to have confidence around water typically from their parents. If the parents are deathly afraid, that's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Another demographic, another stereotype about swimming...
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
FPNI

IIRC, there's a Wikipedia entry that covers all drownings in India. Quite a few examples where the deceased basically drowned in the equivalent of a large puddle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

IIRC, there's a Wikipedia entry that covers all drownings in India. Quite a few examples where the deceased basically drowned in the equivalent of a large puddle.
Well, when the highest act of worship of one's religion is to wade in one of the filthiest rivers in the world one tends to not view bodies of water as a big deal.

Kumbh Mela
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Isn't the water really cold there? Not that it matters to this case.
View Quote
Family and friends were there on the 2nd ..They said it was fine
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Probably died from the shock of clean water .

gd
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#47]
water in india is a lot thicker.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#49]
How the fuck do people not know how to swim? I thought it was as natural as walking, sleeping, or breathing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, if I lived in India, I’d be afraid of the water too.
View Quote
Don't eat the giant Ganges frog legs
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top