Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2023 11:03:12 AM EDT
Is this feasible? I have a Blackstone griddle, now, and probably won't use the grill like I used to. So I was thinking of turning it into a smoker just so I don't have to get rid of it.

I've read a bit on it and everything I read said to keep the burners in there and just use pellets; turn on the burners on one side then put the meat on the other side so it gets indirect heat. But I was thinking more along the lines of removing everything from inside (burners, tubes, igniter, etc.) and just using it strictly like a regular smoker. Can that be done and it work as a smoker should? Or do I need to just buy an actual smoker?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you take everything out how will you generate and control heat ? If all you want to do is cold smoking it will work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dntama:
If you take everything out how will you generate and control heat ? If all you want to do is cold smoking it will work.
View Quote

I guess I'd do it like a traditional smoker (like we had when I was a kid). Put in some coals/wood/pellets, light them, then let it do its thing.

The kind we had looked sort of like a barrel. It stood upright and had a dome-shaped lid. There was a door on the side at the bottom where you put in the charcoal/wood/whatever, then a grate up top for the meat. We had it for quite a while, but my dad never kept it covered so it eventually rusted and he threw it away.

Similar to this...

But that's why I was asking about turning a grill into a smoker. If it can't be done, I'd rather just buy one. BUT, it seems I now have to by a new range (oven). The element on my current one went out yesterday and it can't be replaced (part isn't made, anymore and there isn't a replacement).
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be easier just to get an electric smoker.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve smoked meats on my gas Weber several times.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Wallyworld has Pit Boss Lexington electric smokers for $294. I got an assembled one during rona on clearance at the end of the season for $130. I dont think trying to convert your gas grill is going to be as cheap or easy as you think it will and the results may be disappointing. Gas grill arent made to be air tight or funnel the smoke properly
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't bother, because I've cooked many things on a gas grill, and if things cook for very long, I can taste the gas exhaust in the food.

I mean, part of the point of smoking food is to impart some smoke flavor to the food. It does that, and gas smoke isn't tasty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top