Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/3/2019 12:04:22 PM EDT
I just moved to Idaho. Night time temps have been well below freezing. The house is fairly well insulated. Heating is via electricity, there's no gas in this house.
I normally keep the inside temps at 73 degrees; at night, I turn it down to 60 and have electric heaters in each bedroom to save money.
Is this correct? It seems that it could go either way, since I now run the house heater for a long time to get the inside temps up.
So: do I save money by heating the house from 65 to 73 every morning, or should I leave the house temperature at 73?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I set mine where I feel comfy and leave it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I set mine where I feel comfy and leave it.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Like you OP my house has electric heat. It will not get turned on.  Ever. It's too fucking expensive.  I use a pellet stove to heat my house. Fuck electric heat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Forced air gas furnace. I put my thermostat where I want it and leave it alone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just moved to Idaho. Night time temps have been well below freezing. The house is fairly well insulated. Heating is via electricity, there's no gas in this house.
I normally keep the inside temps at 73 degrees; at night, I turn it down to 60 and have electric heaters in each bedroom to save money.
Is this correct? It seems that it could go either way, since I now run the house heater for a long time to get the inside temps up.
So: do I save money by heating the house from 65 to 73 every morning, or should I leave the house temperature at 73?
View Quote
Your moved to Idaho, your lack of a fireplace ducted into your heating ducts is disturbing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Same boat, max temp in house is 65* in winter. Baseboard heaters throughout.

We average out for the year at $120 for electric. 40 summer / 200 winter est.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in a town where the city buys power from the local grid, then bills the citizens. They make a deliberate effort to keep the power affordable for us! Our realtor told us that last year, the highest power bill was $200  a month.

The previous owner apparently did the same thing, as she had electric heaters in every room.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You absolutely save money by turning down the heat at night and when you leave the house.

The thermodynamics of it is:
- heat lost to the outside is a function of the temp difference between in and outside temps
- the closer your inside temp is to the outside, the less heat is lost

Even power companies used to say "set the thermostat and don't change it", but they are 100% wrong.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
My house has 2 pellet stoves on thermostats... one in the master and one in the FR. I turn them both on in the morning, then turn on the central air to "Fan On" so it spreads the heat evenly. Stays like that until we go to bed. Wake up in the morning and it's a cool 61 degrees. Temps here at night have been in the low teens to upper 20's...

If we need more heat, we do have central heat, but it is propane. Our power comes from our solar.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Time to upgrade to another heat source.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
All electric mine stays on 76 year round
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have hot water radiators. Just turned it on last night for first time.

It's an older boiler with big cast iron radiators.

I took out the radiator in one bathroom for a remodel. Will replace with a small baseboard heater.

House was down to 64 after several days at about freezing.

Turned it on 70 ran for.abot 75 minutes. They are still warm and has not run again

So we leave it. Has stays even and.no long runs
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
More than 3 or 4 degrees difference and you use more fuel/electricity re-heating in the morning than you would have maintaining overnight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Had the heat one once last week. My joints can't take it when it's cold. I can live in warm clothing the dog loves it my cat hates it.  Sleeps next to me to stay warm.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Electricity in Idaho is cheap
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Electricity in Idaho is cheap
View Quote
No it isn't.

Idaho sucks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Turn down the what?!...
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No it isn't.

Idaho sucks.
View Quote
It's WAY cheaper than Nuevo Mehico. Every 6 months or so we get a notice saying "We must increase your electrical mumbojumbo surcharge to stay competitive..." blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Turn my heat pump down to 63 when i am not home or sleeping.

65 when i am at home and awake
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Electric heating is horribly inefficient.

Love our nat gas.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#21]
We heat with natural gas and it's free. We'll turn the heat down at night 3 degrees, we prefer it at 69 degrees when we sleep.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Even though my furnace is old and inefficient, it's still far cheaper to run and stay comfortable than a newer electric one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#23]
First house with hydronic heat. I'm loving it, cause wifey can't jack the thermostat up and down (well, she could, but the lag is so long it wouldn't do her any good.)

Principally gas, with electric to run the boiler and the circulation pump. Supplemented with a wood stove, so far it's pretty amazing. Zero sound...wake up in the morning and the temp is exactly what it was when we turned in, 72 in the great room and 68 through the rest of the house.

Be careful with supplementary heaters until you know the cost, OP.

CSB, SSgt in GK (Germany) with a wife and three young kids didn't budget to fill the oil tanks under his house (common to GE houses, average about 4K liters of heating oil - and they take cash on delivery). He went out and bought four of the roll-around, oil filled, plug in radiators that kept his house nice and warm. His quarterly electric bill came in...it was 3,000 or 4,000 Euro. He was a good guy and went to the boss and told him the whole story before the collection people came to the AF. The officers took up a collection and paid it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
A couple degrees is fine, a 16F temp change means for a LOOOOOONG heating cycle time and then many shorter one's to reheat everything in the entire house plus the air itself. Turn down the high temp of 73 to 70, get proper humidification to be more comfortable and drop night time temps to 66-67f and save yourself some $$$ and be more comfortable to boot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to idaho. Yes, you will save by turning it back at night. I keep mine at 63 during the day and 60 at night. Eastern idaho at elevation gets cold. Typically burn 3+ cords of wood to supplement propane.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No it isn't.

Idaho sucks.
View Quote
Where in idaho? Fall river electric in eastern idaho is around 7.7cents per kwh. Pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Our furnace burns natural gas.

We set the thermostat at 74 degrees in the daytime, and turn it down to 70 degrees about 7:00 or 8:00PM.
No need to have the house at 74 degrees when we are in bed sleeping.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
An electric blanket will save you money on the electric bill.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We heat with natural gas and it's free. We'll turn the heat down at night 3 degrees, we prefer it at 69 degrees when we sleep.
View Quote
FREE??? That's hard to beat! You have your own nat gas well or something?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where in idaho? Fall river electric in eastern idaho is around 7.7cents per kwh. Pretty cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it isn't.

Idaho sucks.
Damn. Must be nice. It's over 11c here in WV despite all the abundant natural gas and coal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Love our nat gas.
View Quote
not inefficient. Just expensive
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
More than 3 or 4 degrees difference and you use more fuel/electricity re-heating in the morning than you would have maintaining overnight.
View Quote
False
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

False
View Quote
Do you have some actual science that you could share with the class that shows it's work or is this just personal opinion?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#36]
60F inside... LOL why even have heat? My heat pump is set to 71 during the day 69 at night. Fuck being cold cause you're a bean counter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Avista in northern Idaho is 6.7 cents per kwh. Cheapest place I've ever lived.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
60F inside... LOL why even have heat? My heat pump is set to 71 during the day 69 at night. Fuck being cold cause you're a bean counter.
View Quote
I prefer 60 at night, otherwise it's too hot. It's regularly negative temps at night here. All the energy money is spent during the winter since there's no need for air conditioning.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Love our nat gas.
View Quote
Electric heating devices are 100% efficient.

Natural gas furnaces are 80-95% efficient.

I think you are confusing pocket book impact with thermodynamic efficiency.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Our thermostat is set at 68 with a night time setback of 58 (never gets that cold but I dont want the heat coming on at night) it's generally 62 when we wake.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do you have some actual science that you could share with the class that shows it's work or is this just personal opinion?
View Quote
I explained it above, but you can look up the equations:

Q=hA(T2-T1)

See that "T2-T1"?  That's the temp difference between in and outside.  The higher the difference, the higher the heat transferred to the outside (Q in the equation above).  It's that straightforward.  The closer your inside and outside temps are, the less heat lost to the outside.  That heat being transferred is supplied by your furnace or baseboard heaters.  Money.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I explained it above, but you can enroll in a physics class or thermodynamics class, or look up the equations:

Q=hA(T2-T1)

See that "T2-T1"?  That's the temp difference between in and outside.  The higher the difference, the higher the heat transferred to the outside (Q in the equation above).  It's that straightforward.  The closer your inside and outside temps are, the less heat lost to the outside.  That heat being transferred is supplied by your furnace or baseboard heaters.  Money.
View Quote
Except that isn't the whole story.

"Reheating" your house isn't just heating the air. The things in your house have all have a temperature.  The walls, the floor, your mattress etc etc.

When you bring a house from a cold temp up to a much warmer temp, you will notice that your heating system has to run through many cycles in fast succession.  The air will come up to temp and it will shut off. The air will drop quickly again and it will need to heat cycle again.  This will happen several times, with longer and longer periods of time between cycles, as the air slowly heats up all the materials within your house.

The counter argument is that keeping all those things at their "normal" temp, not just the air, is more efficient than reheating them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I can't stand forced air heat.

If left to my own devices, I'd leave the house at 62, and bump it up to 67 in the morning for showering.  Girlfriend has different ideas.

Electric blankets and a cold house are pure bliss.  Again, girlfriend has different ideas.  Cant put her ass on a cold toilet seat at night.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Electric heat and keeping it at 73°? Might as well burn money.

I like 67-68° personally.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#45]
You would sav money by not having the house at 73 degrees. I would die bring that hot. I have three 95% efficient gas FAF's and they stay at 62 in the winter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Except for a small wood burning stove, I heat my house with electric as well.  However, in the winter my house is usually between 53 and 56.  When it gets to 50, then the stove has to be fed a few times a night. The two electric heaters cannot keep up with outside temps around zero.

The greater the temperature difference between the outside and inside the faster heat transfers.  This means that when trying to heat the inside too much, your energy costs will go up.  But, by the same token, if the interior stuff (thermal mass) has been allowed to cool to well below your comfort level, it will take that much more energy to warm things back up.  It is best practice, then, to try to maintain the inside temp to the lowest where you are reasonably comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"Reheating" your house isn't just heating the air. The things in your house have all have a temperature.  The walls, the floor, your mattress etc etc.

When you bring a house from a cold temp up to a much warmer temp, you will notice that your heating system has to run through many cycles in fast succession.  The air will come up to temp and it will shut off. The air will drop quickly again and it will need to heat cycle again.  This will happen several times, with longer and longer periods of time between cycles, as the air slowly heats up all the materials within your house.

The counter argument is that keeping all those things at their "normal" temp, not just the air, is more efficient than reheating them.
View Quote
I'm not sure how to convince you, but heat lost is heat lost.  Your argument isn't factually true.  Don't trust me?  I can send you the email address of my two thermodynamics professors.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Except for a small wood burning stove, I heat my house with electric as well.  However, in the winter my house is usually between 53 and 56.  When it gets to 50, then the stove has to be fed a few times a night. The two electric heaters cannot keep up with outside temps around zero.

The greater the temperature difference between the outside and inside the faster heat transfers.  This means that when trying to heat the inside too much, your energy costs will go up.  But, by the same token, if the interior stuff (thermal mass) has been allowed to cool to well below your comfort level, it will take that much more energy to warm things back up.  It is best practice, then, to try to maintain the inside temp to the lowest where you are reasonably comfortable.
View Quote
Yepper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Love our nat gas.
View Quote
At the point of use, electric heating is far more efficient than gas heating, but it's usually more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's even a name for it. "Cold soak" is a real thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top