Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 8:14:41 AM EDT
My buddy has an older Jeep wrangler with a 5 speed manual. Yesterday he was cruising down the highway at about 70 and the rpms started to creep up but his speed was slowing. Pulled off the highway and found that he had lost all gears (including reverse) EXCEPT for 4th. No noise etc before it happened.

Any idea's???

J-
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Any recent work to the vehicle, including lift, etc?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say he needs to replace his clutch. Probably worn and slipping, or something happened down there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
First part sounds like clutch, second like shift mechanism.

Is it that 4th is the only gear that will engage, or that all gears engage but only 4th drives? More details needed.

I would lean toward clutch failure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds more like a broken shifter. It would make a racket if a shaft or other component failed enough to do that. I just don't see how you could only have 4th gear.

Look up how manual transmissions work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#5]
No recent work, its stock ride height/tire size.

He said that only fourth would make the vehicle move. He was able to feather the clutch and get rolling in fourth. All other gears he could shift into them like normal and let the clutch out and there was no engagement of the gears/movement of the jeep.

J-
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I did some googling and this seems to be a somewhat common happening w/ AX series trans. A clip holds 5th gear as it's not sandwiched between the others. There's an upgrade kit available.

Not saying this is what it is, but the googling pulled this up, as a main result, for that issue, every time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did some googling and this seems to be a somewhat common happening w/ AX series trans. A clip holds 5th gear as it's not sandwiched between the others. There's an upgrade kit available.

Not saying this is what it is, but the googling pulled this up, as a main result, for that issue, every time.
View Quote

awesome thanks, I'll pass that on to my buddy as something to check.

J-
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]
4th gear is direct drive.  All of the other gears go through the counter shaft.  Likely lost the gears driving that shaft.

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/manual-transmission-countershafts.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4th gear is direct drive.  All of the other gears go through the counter shaft.  Likely lost the gears driving that shaft.

View Quote

gotcha makes sense. I'll pass this on to him, thanks.

J-
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

They ALL go through the countershaft, just one at a time via the gear you’re in being locked to the mainshaft. The gears you’re not in are all still meshed with their countershaft gears, but they’re able to freely rotate at different rpms on their bushings on the mainshaft.

My suggestion is to remove the shifter and top cover, and inspect the shift rail notches, the end of the shifter that engages the notches, and the shift forks. That’s generic manual trans troubleshooting, without more details no more suggestions can really be given. With the transfer case in neutral and clutch disengaged you can engage each of the gears using a large screwdriver or prybar, and by prying the input gear around see if your chosen gear turns the output shaft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They ALL go through the countershaft, just one at a time via the gear you’re in being locked to the mainshaft. The gears you’re not in are all still meshed with their countershaft gears, but they’re able to freely rotate at different rpms on their bushings on the mainshaft.

My suggestion is to remove the shifter and top cover, and inspect the shift rail notches, the end of the shifter that engages the notches, and the shift forks. That’s generic manual trans troubleshooting, without more details no more suggestions can really be given. With the transfer case in neutral and clutch disengaged you can engage each of the gears using a large screwdriver or prybar, and by prying the input gear around see if your chosen gear turns the output shaft.
View Quote

Awesome thanks, I'll pass this info on to him.

J-
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Pull the drain plug and look for chunks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top