Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2020 2:00:49 AM EDT
So I'm former Coast Guard, so I'm kinda into the whole maritime and pirate thing. I bought these patches one day just thinking they looked bad ass to put on my chest rig, along with an American flag. I knew I'd seen SEALs wearing them, or similar, but didn't really think they were like a unit patch, I thought they were just morale patches.

So anyways, are these patches ok for civilians to wear? I won't wear them if they imply the wearer is a seal or other military unit.
Calico jack.
Black beard/Edward Teach flag patch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I wear a Calico Jack on one of my hats. I had an overtly leftist woman "thank me for my service" after I sold her something on offerup .... what?    She said the hat patch, and assumed I was in the military...nah I'm a pirate, not a soldier. She had no clue wtf to say  
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NWRed:
I wear a Calico Jack on one of my hats. I had an overtly leftist woman "thank me for my service" after I sold her something on offerup .... what?    She said the hat patch, and assumed I was in the military...nah I'm a pirate, not a soldier. She had no clue wtf to say  
View Quote

That's odd that a person like that would have made that connection. I'd figure only the types of people who read arfcom and soldier of fortune would even know that the US military wears those.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Being former CG, I'm sure you know not to fly the Calico Jack on a boat.

Still, only mainstream use I recall is the Jolly Roger on F14s.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Wear what you want.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:

View Quote

DEVGRU blue squadron.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AASG:

That's odd that a person like that would have made that connection. I'd figure only the types of people who read arfcom and soldier of fortune would even know that the US military wears those.
View Quote

She was running for some county political position, not sure she even realized it was actually a Calico Jack and not some actual .mil unit patch. I'm just another middle aged guy with a green hat that has a velcro patch on the front of it , in a county that has a large Army/Air Force base and is full of current and former .mil guys wearing ball caps with velcro patches on them  

I say bring back the letters of marque and privateers
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
the pics are all over pintrest. so a lot of people saw it

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: demoMouse] [#9]
So I'm former Coast Guard, so I'm kinda into the whole maritime and pirate thing. I bought these patches one day just thinking they looked bad ass to put on my chest rig, along with an American flag. I knew I'd seen SEALs wearing them, or similar, but didn't really think they were like a unit patch, I thought they were just morale patches.

So anyways, are these patches ok for civilians to wear? I won't wear them if they imply the wearer is a seal or other military unit.
Calico jack.
View Quote
100% a civilian patch.

The pirates themselves would probably be upset at the idea of any sort of military affiliation.

Kinda like if the marines started wearing the HA skull
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CB1:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/147/7433f77dc806c1000b4fb30f4169a41b-1598154.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CB1:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/147/7433f77dc806c1000b4fb30f4169a41b-1598154.jpg

the add pointedly says no eye patch......the team members appear to have eye patches.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Wear what you want
View Quote

Roger, that!

"JOLLY ROGER!"

...wear them until the "Pirates Lives Matter" crowd appears--then Lock 'n Load!

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
VeggieTales: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything - Silly Song
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My daughters HD carbine

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#15]

So anyways, are these patches ok for civilians to wear?
View Quote

Ever been to America? It’s a pretty cool place. We have freedom of speech and freedom of expression there. You can wear flip flops, a cape, and a traffic cone as a hat, if you like. You probably won’t get laid dressed that way, but that’s how it goes.

If anybody gives you shit about what you wear, just use the secret code phrase that let’s them know you’re cool. The phrase is “Go fuck yourself.”

“That’s a stupid hat you are wearing.”

“Go fuck yourself.”
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Do what you want.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't worry about any patch police showing up.  Also, my uncle used to put a pirate flag on his boat during the summer.  Then in the winter it got moved to the ice house.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
ECW folks used to fly them outside their stations on FOBs in Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Calico jack.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:

View Quote

Jolly Rogers FTW!!!

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Just don't try to rock the Hellfish patch unless you've been through the Hellfish indoc or had a combat deployment as part of a unit that holds an authorized Fighting Hellfish franchise.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Submarines will often fly the Jolly Roger when they complete a legit combat mission i.e. landing SOF troops for a raid or sinking enemy vessels, a la HMS Conqueror.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]
The USCG has a long history of flying the skull and cross bones. You will see it in old WWII photos from Flotilla one. Baranoff Island had one painted on her, and the crews Ts were featured a pirate flag. You are a fucking puddle pirate. Roll with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome !!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have those same patches and wear them on my "tactical" ball caps. I happen to like the pirate flag designs, nothing more. If someone were to confuse me for a combat/special ops vet I will make sure to tell them I am only a pre-9/11 stateside only vet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
OP the  Calico Jack is legit The USS KIDD can officially fly a huge Calico Jack flag (jolly Rodger) and many of the sailors have that patch.

USS KIDD DDG 100

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]
The SEAL teams stole valor from Calico Jack

Lol
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I don’t know if it’s poser or not, but anyone who wants to make a big deal about it can just heave to and prepare to be boarded.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By demoMouse:
100% a civilian patch.

The pirates themselves would probably be upset at the idea of any sort of military affiliation.

Kinda like if the marines started wearing the HA skull
View Quote

I always thought it was funny as traditionally the two groups didn’t exactly get along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top