Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/10/2018 6:47:40 PM EDT
Trump skips WW I cemetery visit due to wet weather, kicking up a storm of its own

The White House’s decision on Saturday to scrap President Trump’s visit to a cemetery for fallen American soldiers due to weather irked more than a few observers, including those who have served their country in the military.

Trump, who is in France to commemorate the end, 100 years ago, of World War I, was scheduled to take a 30-minute helicopter ride from Paris to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial in Belleau, France. But a rainy forecast for the area made it too risky for him to safely fly there, the White House said a couple hours before the president was to arrive at the ceremony.

“The President and First Lady’s trip to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial has been canceled due to scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather,” the White House announced.

White House chief of staff John Kelly and Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the roughly 50-mile long trip to the cemetery in a small motorcade of vehicles, ABC News reported. The drive took about 90 minutes each way.

Separately, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel traveled a similar distance by car to a World War I commemorative event in northern France, according to several media reports.

On Sunday, Trump is scheduled to visit American graves at Suresnes, and will give remarks, Bloomberg White House reporter Jennifer Jacobs tweeted.

But as for Saturday’s miss, “an unforced error... the military could have made this happen... there’s always a Plan B,” said retired Adm. James Stavridis, in an interview on MSNBC, citing the poor optics around Trump’s cancelation.

Most of the criticism stressed the rough conditions suffered by soldiers and sailors in the Great War — which claimed an estimated 40 million military and civilian casualties — and in all conflicts before and since.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-skips-ww-i-cemetery-visit-due-to-wet-weather-kicking-up-a-storm-of-its-own-2018-11-10?siteid=rss&rss=1

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The weather is too poor to safely fly?

It takes 90 minutes to drive 50 miles.  Yeah,  l can see the Secret Service not liking that idea.

Sounds like bitches looking for something to bitch about.

TDS is hell.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it sucks and everything, but the safety of the President should be first priority.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
He's in enemy territory. Very good call.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It takes 90 minutes to drive 50 miles.  Yeah,  l can see the Secret Service not liking that idea.

TDS is hell.
View Quote
Yep. Huge security issue.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Praise the wisdom of KEK.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything to bash Trump, anything...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
This after France said they needed an Euro army in part because of the US.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I would bet it has zero to do with Trump not wanting to be there and much to do with SS keeping him safe in a hostile world...

ETA:  OP, why haven't you become a regular in the never_trump fail thread? You would fit right in there and those guys would eat up all that horse shit you post everyday....You would be a hero to the zero's...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
OP never fails to deliver failure.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know it sucks and everything, but the safety of the President should be first priority.
View Quote
Good call.

Another flight to visit war graves that went badly.

Polish Crash
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you imagine the logistical nightmare of a 50 mile drive in a foreign country?  Especially France which has always been a hotbed of Muslim terrorists.  Fuck, a 10 mile drive here in the US requires all roads and intersecting roadways to be totally blocked and cleared and a motorcade the size of a Battalion convoy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

TDS is hell.
View Quote
The problem is once you drive 90 minutes in one direction everyone knows you will be driving back the same route. Not good for a security stand point. Was too foggy to fly the helo so its better to call it off.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would you bury soldiers overseas where their families wouldnt be able to visit them?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why would you bury soldiers overseas where their families wouldnt be able to visit them?
View Quote
... because there was a war going on?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still seems kind of shitty.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was thinking the other day with Europe going down hill with anti american feelings why not just bring Our Men home? I know the logistics and cost but they deserve it. Remember the British cemetery in Libya that was desecrated? When will the American cemeteries fall to the same fate?

British war graves in Libya desecrated by Salafi militants
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ!

(facepalm)
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Think about the men that were buried at sea in the pacific during WWII....

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#20]
The weather wouldn't have grounded just Trump.  We see even with the rallies here in the US there is generally surveillance air craft that checks the route, circles the entire time the President is on site, and checks the route back.  Not only that but if the plan was to fly, then the ground route would not have been cleared.  Safety concerns all the way around.

The title makes it sound like a little drizzle and Trump said, "No thanks, I'll just stay inside where it is dry and warm".
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe there's a credible threat, like in the Philippines last year, that prolonged vehicle ride, on routes that haven't been cleared, prevented him from going.

I think DJT is the kind of man that doesn't let little things like the weather get in his way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
DBAP, Mr Trump.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can you imagine the logistical nightmare of a 50 mile drive in a foreign country?  Especially France which has always been a hotbed of Muslim terrorists.  Fuck, a 10 mile drive here in the US requires all roads and intersecting roadways to be totally blocked and cleared and a motorcade the size of a Battalion convoy.
View Quote
Seeing it first hand last year it’s incredible the amount of security it takes to move the President a small length on a public roadway.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was thinking the other day with Europe going down hill with anti american feelings why not just bring Our Men home? I know the logistics and cost but they deserve it. Remember the British cemetery in Libya that was desecrated? When will the American cemeteries fall to the same fate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WmeKksOf_I
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WmeKksOf_I
Too bad the deceased couldn't fight back.

Those people over there are a bunch of cocksuckers.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#28]
NYmini in hysterics again.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]
This is now a poopthread.jpg

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#30]
He didn't want to get his hair wet...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#31]
OP is a retard and doesnt know how to think
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
more from the never trumper continuing to smear Trump's image

since you are so disappointed in Trump, which dem have you settled on supporting in 2020?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#33]
No idea about the route he would need to take but French country roads tend to be windy and shit going through all sorts of small villages.
Im sure the SS would positivly jump for joy at slowly driving the president of the USA around tight snakeing roads in a foreign country.

When Obama was here they closed down whole freeways and acces ramps etc. Logistical nightmare to suddely have an American president driving around.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

i'm gay
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

since you are so disappointed in Trump, which dem have you settled on supporting in 2020?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Trump Lobotomy level 9+ are "it was her turn" loons. I suspect they will all vote for her again, I'm sure its still "her turn".
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just when I thought OP had a dumb post.....I come and read this.....holy shit the derp
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#37]
The SS made the right call on this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just when I thought OP had a dumb post.....I come and read this.....holy shit the derp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, so are you recommending the US abandon the current policy of bringing the dead home, and just leave them in the middle east now? If so, then you are free to think and feel that way. I dont, but you can feel that way. Pretty sure they would be dug up and descreated, but hey, you wont be full of derp.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#39]
His bone spurs must have been acting up... again.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
His bone spurs must have been acting up... again.  
View Quote
He's literally HITLER!

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because it was the 1940s.

Because there were no floating refrigerators to bring home all the decomposing corpses.

Because flying them home would have required thousands of flights and those resources were needed to defeat the Nazis.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TDS is hell.
Not to mention messing up local traffic with an unscheduled security convoy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because there were no floating refrigerators to bring home all the decomposing corpses.

Because flying them home would have required thousands of flights and those resources were needed to defeat the Nazis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re off by one war.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Separately, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel traveled a similar distance by car to a World War I commemorative event in northern France, according to several media reports.
View Quote
Neither of them is the leader of the free world.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]
It’s a good thing OP is a under_score troll instead of a thoughtful, contributing member of this forum

Because if he were I’m sure he would have been locked by now.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry your girl lost
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Woodrow Wilson would have went.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Much ado about nothing.

As usual with the TDS types.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#50]
OP you need to remember:  Everything you read about Trump is negative Propaganda.

Don’t fall for it like a simpleton.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top