Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2018 2:23:38 PM EDT
Used to have a full beard I let get to logger style and then trim it down. Transitioned to goatee or mustache only. Work reasons make it so logger style beard is not ok. What kind of clipper do I need, such that I can maintain a  1/4 or less beard, and how often do I need to shave it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple sets, but use this for the beard. Mines a bit older so it's AA instead of lithium. I do it once or twice a week. The wife likes the in-between stubble.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Wahl trimmer sold on Amazon.  I have used them for a long time.  They usually last 8-10 years.  They come with plenty of attachments to do anything you want.  Battery has excellent life.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Any particular tips on the guards? With the grain against the grain etc? I assume start bigger than I think I want and drop down until I get the results?

Silly questions I know, but its always been no guards and either facial hair or none lol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any particular tips on the guards? With the grain against the grain etc? I assume start bigger than I think I want and drop down until I get the results?

Silly questions I know, but its always been no guards and either facial hair or none lol.
View Quote
For best results, I take the guard off and freehand trim my beard. I find a guard useful for trimming down small areas like the sideburns and moustache.

I use scissors for cleaning up the moustache line at the top lip and edges of the moustache.

It takes practice, but it’s not as easy to screw up as it looks. I’d recommend looking at YouTube videos from George Bruno to get an idea on technique.

Cut with the grain and start high if you’re using a guard.

How To Trim a Short Beard | George Bruno
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For best results, I take the guard off and freehand trim my beard. I find a guard useful for trimming down small areas like the sideburns and moustache.

I use scissors for cleaning up the moustache line at the top lip and edges of the moustache.

It takes practice, but it's not as easy to screw up as it looks. I'd recommend looking at YouTube videos from George Bruno to get an idea on technique.

Cut with the grain and start high if you're using a guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYy_6DC_FeA
View Quote
That's a weird looking beard
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Strangely, I actually enjoyed that video.  Learned a few things.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Philips Norelco beard trimmer that has a "selector" which lets me dial the length I want to trim.  I think the shape of your face will dictate if you want a face shaped beard or if you want to style it or shape it... like the fella in the video.  I keep my beard short for work (I work in a professional business environment).  I also trim the side burns a little shorter to match my hair above my ears and let the chin grow a little bit longer.

With the selection feature on the trimmer you can trim anytime and as often as you'd like.  Sometimes I let mine get a little longer and sometimes I keep it short... totally up to you.  I've gone through a few trimmers but the cheaper ones like the Philips Norelco with the select feature works great and is relatively cheap (around $25).  They also have one that has a vacuum on it, but I just don't know about that.  When I trim my beard the whiskers go everywhere (need an eye guard sometimes).

my opinion... it's ridiculous to shave your entire face.  It goes against the nature of being men... so do that, BE A MAN!  Plus it is Movember.  Give it shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top