Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2022 8:43:32 PM EDT
Wife wants to do some van camping, into a couple “non-pistol friendly” states…Maryland, Virginia, so thinking shotgun, or carbine.  

Space is at a premium, so looking for something that doesn’t take up a lot of space, and is concealable…thinking of getting either a Mossberg Shockwave, or a Keltec Sub2000.  Shockwave with buckshot would probably back off lot of troublemakers, but limited shots.  sub 2000, while having more shots, especially with 30 round mags, takes a bit of time to make ready.  I also have a Rock Island VRBP100 as a possibility but it’s a bit chunkier than a Shockwave.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Ar15.

Edit: Allowable everywhere, shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't a Sub2000 with 30 round mag be trouble in ban states?

What state doesn't allow handguns?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sub2k with 10rd mags. Safest bet most places.
Of if you're on a budget a hipoint carbine with several stock mags.test it and zero b4 you go.
No shockwaves especially in maryland.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Shockwave would be great but are not legal in a lot of states. Transport requirements having ammo separate and or guns locked in a case.

Summer vacation I went to places that did not prevent self Preservation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bring a regular shotgun with a 18" barrel. Thats my camping gun. I like being able to shoulder a long gun.  You're van camping and it doesnt take up a whole lot of room. It's not like you're backpacking.  Mine sits leaning up inside the door in my camper when im at the campsite.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d take a sub2000, and have at least 5 10 round mags. Why? You probably won’t need all 50, but would you rather need it and not have it. Do not be the goon who only takes 1 mag then loses it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wife wants to do some van camping, into a couple “non-pistol friendly” states…Maryland, Virginia, so thinking shotgun, or carbine.  

Space is at a premium, so looking for something that doesn’t take up a lot of space, and is concealable…thinking of getting either a Mossberg Shockwave, or a Keltec Sub2000.  Shockwave with buckshot would probably back off lot of troublemakers, but limited shots.  sub 2000, while having more shots, especially with 30 round mags, takes a bit of time to make ready.  I also have a Rock Island VRBP100 as a possibility but it’s a bit chunkier than a Shockwave.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Ive owned a sub2k and mossberg cruiser (not a shockwave but close enough) so maybe i can help a bit. Neither is without its drawbacks, but from the strict standpoint of your requirements, the sub2k is probably the choice. That said, think outside the box.

The sub2k has almost everything you need. Its light weight, stores easily, deploys easily and takes glock mags. Not so fast, however. Its light design and blowback mechanism magnify what should be a light recoil round, compounded by the stock, which is almost a shockwave (brand) blade brace. Its not a comfortable gun to shoot, and the ergos are literally two pipes on a hinge. Any propponent of the gun will recommend mcarbo mods just to make the gun more user friendly.

The shockwave... feels like a bit off for you mission. Guaranteed it will be heavier. The ammunition will be heavier and of course limited to whats in the tube. Most 12ga recoil is nothing to sneeze at either. Yes, you get more flexibility in terms of 12ga loads, but unless you grab a laser or red dot, shooting from the hip is hit or miss and cheek sighting with the birds head grip is even more awkward. A brace will only mitigate a few of these issues. Id much rather tote a sub2k than any shotgun.

But like i said, think outside the box.

To be honest, the sub2k became outmodded the moment AR pistols became a thing. This is a 8.5in AR in 300blk. Its pretty small as is, and if you seperate the upper and lower, it easy fits in the same footprint.

This pistol is marginally heavier than the sub2k, but retains a 30 round payload if need be in a more effective caliber. The wierd thing is that the recoil is going to be similar to the sub (still more for the 300) due to the keltecs design. Even a 10.5in 556 is still ultra portable if you want a more common caliber.

For the record, i do not own the sub2k anymore for most of the reasons above.

Tl;dr - the sub 2000 is your choice but consider an AR pistol with a sig brace instead.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
How is VA a non pistol friendly state?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't there a limit on mag capacity if you don't have a CHP?  Like you cant open carry an AR pistol with a 30 rd mag.  That's the only thing I can think of.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a Sub2k.

Ring steel at 150 yards with boring repetition.

I’d recommend a red dot as it moves your cheek up and off the rear tube.

Added a recoil pad, buffer o ring and heavier buffer handle.

Has a nice ka-chunk recoil impulse.

Reliable.

If you are going to go with irons, buy the MCARBO rear sight. It moves the sight up a hair and is more comfortable to shoot.

$50 in parts will get you up to speed.

If I could buy and legally own an AR pistol I would. Sub2k is the next best thing for many in ban states.

Post Bruen hopefully that will change nationally.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ Scorpion EVO III with a folding brace
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I got rid of my Shockwave a while ago as I found an 18" PGO M500 more effective and versatile since I could put a stock on it without running afoul of the NFA.

The Sub2k, meanwhile, is not my favorite rifle. Or my favorite 9mm carbine. Or my favorite take-down 9mm carbine - that would be the Ruger PC, which is a great comfortable shooter if you don't mind the extra weight and size and cost. It is the one I kept, though, because it's a reliable 'good enough' carbine that's cheaper, lighter, and easier to stow than any other centerfire rifle I know of. Ordinarily it's my bump in the night long gun, but it'll fold up and pack away with a few 33rd mags into a backpack that nobody gives a second look to at the hotel. Get the taller MCARBO sight for it though.

TL;DR Sub 2000 between those two but consider the Ruger PC Carbine with a collapsible/folding stock if you can spare a bit of extra room.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Kriss Vector 9mm

33rnd mags

Backpack

Makes for a nice compact travel loadout.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the Sub2000  
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you need a 16" lever gun in .357 or .44. ?? Supposedly the Rossi's are popular travel guns.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a 16" lever gun in .357 or .44. ?? Supposedly the Rossi's are popular travel guns.
View Quote

Have a rossi 20” in 357.

A Sub2k with Glock mags is faster and more compact.

Sub2k is $450 while lever guns are going for much more than that in today’s market.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

SUB needs a fin for California.  Think the Shockwave is 50 state legal, but could be wrong.  Very happy w/ my SUB.  Available in half a dozen mag types.

ETA:  I carry my SUB in a sling bag FW_wife found for me on Amazon.  I carry it folded, safety off, w/ the bolt locked to the rear & a Glock 17 mag in.  I can grab it out, flip it open, & slap the bolt off the release in 3-5 seconds.  It's like an HK slap, but for us poors.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly, this is not an overly bad idea. Hang this off the side of your backpack and go. Bet you could tac it up with a reddot pretty easily.

For reference, it's a Rossi Ranch Hand available in all the popular pistol lever calibers.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wouldn't a Sub2000 with 30 round mag be trouble in ban states?

What state doesn't allow handguns?
View Quote

NY, for example - you can't possess or even hold a handgun without a NY pistol permit. Which is now a little easier to get for NY residents, but still all but impossible (with some exceptions, like having a 2nd home in NY) for a non-NY resident to get.

Edit - when I travel back to the east coast, I just bring a shotgun these days...it's easy enough, legal just about everywhere, and works. Probably still illegal in MA, though I have zero plans to ever go back there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is now!  When I was traveling in VA a couple years ago, my PA LCF Permit was not valid there.  Appears the law changed!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

My EVO is SBR'rd and Stamped.  An option...I would have to send notice to the BATFE if I take it out of state? Do they have to approve?
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ar15.

Edit: Allowable everywhere, shotgun.
View Quote

Yeah, my youth 870 20ga is possibly the best option for the Maryland part of the trip.  Everywhere else I'm good with my PA LCF to carry a pistol, but lock it up during travel.    

Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  My EVO is SBR'rd and Stamped.  An option...I would have to send notice to the BATFE if I take it out of state? Do they have to approve?
View Quote

Yes, and yes.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My EVO is SBR'rd and Stamped.  An option...I would have to send notice to the BATFE if I take it out of state? Do they have to approve?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, if it started life as a pistol and you take the stock off it's back to a pistol then you can add a brace if you want. Of your initial two choices, I'd go with the KT but I really don't like KT products- and I own a s2k and have had a couple of other picked up in trades (and quickly traded off again).

ETA- I've carried my Rossi 16" .357 several times when traveling around the US in my truck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  Yeah, my youth 870 20ga is possibly the best option for the Maryland part of the trip.  Everywhere else I'm good with my PA LCF to carry a pistol, but lock it up during travel.
View Quote

Before we got CC back in Texas, an 870 Youth 20 ga w/ 21" bbl & full choke was my car gun.  Trimmed a Pachmayr Vindicator 12 ga grip to fit the 20 ga frame, & threw on a Choate magazine extension.  Now Choate has a folding stock for the 20 ga, even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top