Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2021 9:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ishootglocks]
Anyone else into trail building, or just ride?

I started helping build new trail sections and features a few years ago at the local trail and really enjoy it. It's a good feeling to bench a section or build a feature and then ride it. We do a lot of build/ride/adjust before opening the line to other riders.

I spent all day today, and planning for the next two or three days as well working on the city trail that we built last winter (Nov 2020 - Jan 2021), adding in a couple of alt lines with some additional drops/jumps. This trail is a tiny 20 acre park with multiple jump lines - only 2.5ish miles of unique trail including the cross-country side, but a lot of fun packed in with 50+ berms/drops/jumps and a very mellow climb back to the top (70 feet total elevation change).

Once I finish the dirt work I am hoping to build a couple of wall rides at the bottom of the DH/jump lines. We have built a wooden berm at a different trail (120 degree arc, 45 degree ride angle) but planning an actual flat wall here. I've only ridden a couple of walls, they are pretty infrequent in this area, so thinking a smaller and shallower (maybe 55-60 degrees?) "wall" for folks to practice on and then the larger wall at 70-75 degree vertical. If anyone here is good at riding walls I would appreciate any details you could share on the ideal design (angle, length, height).

Let's discuss build methods and feature designs!

Alt line - come out of a berm up top into a dirt kicker, then a total of 3 drops down the hill. We try to utilize natural terrain where possible such as this rock.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Opening two new lines this week, both cut in by hand.

One is intended to be a flow line but the features haven't been built yet, they will be added later when we have multiple features to build and can justify the mini-ex rental - will add berms and then a lily pad jump at the bottom of the hill. Right now it is just a nice flow even with the flat turns.

The other is an extension on the XC side to take advantage of some wasted space in between the existing trails. I've got at least one berm to add here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top