Posted: 6/6/2023 4:34:56 PM EDT
I had no idea they did this.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Some people in Europe still appreciate the sacrifices Americans made to liberate them from the Nazis.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That's very cool
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some people in Europe still appreciate the sacrifices Americans made to liberate them from the Nazis.
View Quote

The French people that I met were extremely aware of what we did to free them from Germany.  I would go so far as to say they were more aware than most US citizens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They will sing the American national anthem in their native languages. It's pretty moving.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
God bless them, All... Very cool, and they take pride and show care in their efforts as well.

We were great once, weren't we???

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
That's amazing. I've been there and never knew that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been to the cemeteries there a few times.  The locals who take care of them take the job seriously.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This french 20 something seems to understand ~5:00:
Normandy Trip: Paying Tribute to those who fought for my country, my FREEDOM | Full Documentary
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got dusty at my house.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
That hurts but in a good way.

I've visited Arlington once as an adult. I took my daughter. I completely lost the ability to speak while there. Gardens of stone guarded by the ghosts of heroes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
God bless them, All... Very cool, and they take pride and show care in their efforts as well.

View Quote

In honor of my French heritage..

La Marseillaise, sung by Mireille Mathieu. American English subtitles.

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They will sing the American national anthem in their native languages. It's pretty moving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The French people that I met were extremely aware of what we did to free them from Germany.  I would go so far as to say they were more aware than most US citizens.
View Quote
Most US citizens under 30 aren't even aware of 9/11. Our education system is a complete failure.

RIP to the Heroes that were our fathers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Another version..

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. Dont let anyone convince you otherwise.

To the departed, thank you, again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That greatness still exists, but the shared national cultural values that embodies it is fractured and is dying. We are the witnesses.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just got dusty at my house.
View Quote

Every time I see the Vietnam memorial I get about 3 names in and start losing it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m probably gonna get burned for this, but this is one of the best renditions of our National Anthem at the Super Bowl.

Lady Gaga - Star-Spangled Banner (Live at Super Bowl 50)

And for reasons, there are times I fly my flags.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn’t know that. Amazing
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn’t know that. Amazing
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had no idea they did this.

View Quote

Not all.  I was there in 2019 for the 75th anniversary and they didn't do my grandfather's headstone.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not all.  I was there in 2019 for the 75th anniversary and they didn't do my grandfather's headstone.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Your Grandfather was and always will be a Hero.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#30]
There are quite a few American and British cemeteries in that country
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

We (all Americans in the group) were at the location of the Colmar Pocket in the Alsace recently. We stopped at the site of what the locals call "Audie Murphy's Last Stand." A local crew was doing some landscaping work when one of them came over and talked to us.

Attachment Attached File

He said he and his countrymen were eternally grateful for what Americans did to free their country. It got a little dusty there for awhile. Must have been tree pollen or something.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Wasn’t gonna drink tonight but now I’m in a loop of tube vids and these threads.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

And kids get told not to sing our national anthem in our nations capital building......
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The French did help free us from the British so we might be even.......
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#36]
My best friend was there last year and helped sand some headstones.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#37]
My name is William

I hope Major Richards is at peace.

We give the French a lot of shit around here sometimes, jokes about new rifles, only dropped once. But without them, we'd still just be a former colony, and they're one of the few culture's that still stands up for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I was several hundred miles from the nearest American cemetery on Memorial Day, so I went to pay respect at a nearby French memorial, ostensibly for WWI.  Little did they know when they erected that memorial that they'd be embroiled in another war barely a generation later.

Reading the names of the fallen, I recognized a number of family names, prominent family names from the valley that I recognized.  Prominent now, I suppose; at the time, perhaps merely smiths in the valley.

The memorial had since been amended with plaques for WWII and Algeria.

I had been in this town decades earlier, but never really thought about it all.  It wasn't until I was up at sunrise, out for a walk before most of the town got moving, that I had a chance to read into just a mere glimpse of what transpired on the ground beneath my feet, what went on just within my own second hand grasp.

Flying home, the flight passed over the sea closet to where my grandfather's ship went down in WWII.  Merely a blank spot in the middle of the ocean.  I don't know if I'll ever get any closer.  My grandfather seldom spoke of the sinking.  As a teenager, you don't think that you should be writing this down.   I've pull up the crew listings and found the names of many of the men of whom my grandfather spoke.

For many of these men, there was no more.  After their parents, after the men with whom they served, nobody left to say their name.   So, I do.  Same as I said the names of the men at the French memorial.

When I lived in Virginia, I would travel to Arlington on the same day in October, every year.  It went from burying friends, to burying men far younger than us.  For years, the walk amongst the headstones in Section 60 grew longer and longer, the birthdates on the headstones regrettably younger and younger.  I don't remember the year, or the years, as I choose not to think of numbers, but of the walks, the steps, the steps on those fall days.  There came a time when the birthdates became noticeably older, the birthdates of men who lived full lives.  A relief.  Almost something to celebrate, if we can celebrate such a thing.

Section 60 is a living place.  More so in the past, and with each passing day, less so.  Eventually, it will become a museum.  A somber thought.  Tended to by men who never knew the names on the stones from when they were men.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ-SC9bmp4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ-SC9bmp4

By golly, I forgot how much I like that song.  Thank you.
This should be the official anthem of Arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

My wife and I visited in 2019.  Very humbling.   We rubbed sand into the cross of someone from our small town that died that day.

Planting the US and French flags elicited an emotional response I've never experienced before.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

More so than most americans today
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#45]
RIP soldiers….

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Somewhere online I had seen (damn if I can rember where) some of our dear leftist
congresscritters want to decommission military cemeteries... INCLUDING Arlington and
Gettysburg. The families will have two years to disinter and re-inter the deceased at
civilian cemeteries... AT THEIR COST. Any left will be cremated and buried at sea.

Can anyone confirm this perfidy?

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Yet, Not a word from thatsonofabitch in the WH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top