Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2024 7:57:45 PM EDT
I've been using the power companies website to track Kwh usage for the past two years, by month, and there is an overall growth trend.  In FJB's America, the freaking power costs continue to climb and I want to see how I can reduce usage.  Trying to track by device is a point in time event using a Kill-a-Watt meter and using the meter is the opposite, just gross usage (same as power company website).  Doing some searching and find the Emporia .  I like the idea of being able to track by circuit.   I live in a house with a wife and 3 daughters and the constant dialog around turning off lights as well as reminders that I don't own the power company gets old.

Anyone using it?  Success or gimmick?

Who installed it?  DIY/Homeowner or did you hire electrician.   Working inside service panel, esp putting sensors around mains, is not something I want to do or have any experience with.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Emporia that I like. I found some drains when I first installed it, now I just use it to make sure the baseline hasn't changed.
I Installed it myself, but I've also done industrial controls work for years. It was easy - took maybe an hour, tops.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive had the Gen 1 and now the Gen 2.  Like the other guy I found some drains,  now I use it to make sure the dryer and furnace are doing what they are supposed to and can use it to see if the toilet is running if the well keeps kicking on.

Some point Im going to flash it to add locally into home assistant and get off the cloud.

Installed it myself, former residential electrician.  Didnt even turn off the main to do it but would not recommend that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback, seems like a very useful device.  I need to check on the number of active breakers we have in the main panel as well as the sub panel, I'm pretty sure its more than the 16 sensors that come with the biggest kit.  Seems like they are on Gen 3 now, not sure what the difference is.  

I've done a bunch of low voltage work around my house, tons of Cat5, sensors, alarm and other wiring.  Also have changed out regular & 3 way switches and fixtures for Z-Wave dimmers and other devices.  Would you suggest I try to do this myself or hire someone?

I'm a Home Assistant guy too, it was actually watching a video about solar/battery storage a while ago and the homeowner showed the Emporia system in use to monitor his loads and usage.  I was going to see about integrating into HAOS.  Is it directly supported?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say about anyone could do the install, just turn off the main if you arent comfortable working around live power.  There is only one breaker you have to mess with to supply power to the unit.  Im sure there is videos of the install.

I have less problems working a live panel than I do working a switch or outlet hot.

The HAOS integration is in HACS but its cloud based using the Emporia servers.  The fastest it updates is every minute, so I have to wait to see if the furnace is pulling full power in HA vs Emporia.  
They can be flashed with ESPhome for local integration and real time monitoring and logging in HA.  Next time it cant phone home when I want to see what something is doing its getting its firmware updated.   If I can get a good deal on a Gen 2 unit with no sensors I may flash the one I have just so I have a back up in case I screw the pooch and let the magic smoke out.

When my Gen 1 went tits up I was really close to pulling the trigger on IotaWatt for full local monitoring but it would have cost more and would have been more work in and around the panel, but now IotaWatt is no longer being produced last I looked.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say about anyone could do the install, just turn off the main if you arent comfortable working around live power.  There is only one breaker you have to mess with to supply power to the unit.  Im sure there is videos of the install.

I have less problems working a live panel than I do working a switch or outlet hot.

The HAOS integration is in HACS but its cloud based using the Emporia servers.  The fastest it updates is every minute, so I have to wait to see if the furnace is pulling full power in HA vs Emporia.  
They can be flashed with ESPhome for local integration and real time monitoring and logging in HA.  Next time it cant phone home when I want to see what something is doing its getting its firmware updated.   If I can get a good deal on a Gen 2 unit with no sensors I may flash the one I have just so I have a back up in case I screw the pooch and let the magic smoke out.

When my Gen 1 went tits up I was really close to pulling the trigger on IotaWatt for full local monitoring but it would have cost more and would have been more work in and around the panel, but now IotaWatt is no longer being produced last I looked.
View Quote
@akpostal

Great feedback, thanks.  I'll dig into the install guide and see how comfortable I am.  I did see that you have to hook the unit up to a breaker/pass through to power it.  and HA integration, interesting cloud vs. realtime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top