Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2020 10:22:33 PM EDT
link

Toyota has expanded its collaboration with Amazon Web Services in ways that will see many of its models upload performance data into the Amazonian cloud to expand the services the auto-maker offers to drivers and fleet owners.
Toyota already operates a “Mobility Services Platform” that it says helps it to “develop, deploy, and manage the next generation of data-driven mobility services for driver and passenger safety, security, comfort, and convenience”.
That data comes from a device called the “Data Communication Module” (DCM) that Toyota fits into many models in Japan, the USA and China.
Toyota reckons the data could turn into “new contextual services such as car share, rideshare, full-service lease, and new corporate and consumer services such as proactive vehicle maintenance notifications and driving behavior-based insurance.”

The company has touted that vision since at least the year 2016, but precious little evidence of it turning into products is available.
Which may be why Toyota has signed with AWS for not just cloud tech but also professional services.
View Quote

Bad times for privacy seekers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw an Aussie reviewing a new Hilux, during the drive a voice came on over the stereo reminding him to obey all traffic laws.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck all this car share bullshit.

The days of rolling 10 over are coming to an end.  Eventually the car will override you and pretty soon after that you’ll just sit there as a passenger.

Soon after that we’ll get targeted assassinations by hacking the command computer and telling it to drive off a ravine or head on into a truck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The days of rolling 10 over are coming to an end.  Eventually the car will override you and pretty soon after that you’ll just sit there as a passenger.

Soon after that we’ll get targeted assassinations by hacking the command computer and telling it to drive off a ravine or head on into a truck.
View Quote

True.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only way this would be true would be if there was an alternative revenue generator or a national fully tax funded police force. I have a feeling we'll get both of those things when Democrats get control again and the tech is there to support it. The federal police is in the making now with all of these racist murders going on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, fuck buying a Camry as I was planning next summer. I guess Kia K5 it is then. Fuck!
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Saw an Aussie reviewing a new Hilux, during the drive a voice came on over the stereo reminding him to obey all traffic laws.
View Quote

Ronny Dahl? Saw the thumbnail of the video of him showing his new hilux, but haven’t watched it yet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#7]
And that's why my 2001 Yukon will be with me until the end of my life.  No connection to the outside and it's easy to work on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, fuck buying a Camry as I was planning next summer. I guess Kia K5 it is then. Fuck!
View Quote

Or just a K5.

I'm tempted to buy an 85ish bronco as my next driver, keep it carbureted and on durasparkII.

That, or keep my current driver going for another 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Toyota has expanded its collaboration with Amazon Web Services
View Quote

Collaborators, eh?

They will spy on you and make you pay for the spying.  Something, something, build a wall and make somebody pay for it.  Just crazy talk.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably why I’ll never buy a new vehicle again. All the nannies are annoying as is without Big Brother getting in on the action.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ronny Dahl? Saw the thumbnail of the video of him showing his new hilux, but haven’t watched it yet.
View Quote

Yep. 3:30 in.
I bought a NEW Toyota, 2021 Hilux SR5
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]
How about putting voltmeters and oil pressure gauges back in Dashboards.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Delete
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
So no new yotas in the igloo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
In before Toyota ball washers.
Either making excuses or...

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How about putting voltmeters and oil pressure gauges back in Dashboards.
View Quote

This. Be fuckin' nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top