Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 11:50:25 PM EDT
Like the title says...

I'm looking to replace my 2003 Expedition that's been eating ignition coils like candy (5 in the last 3 years) with a van. Got two kids to cart around and just now started driving back and forth to my hometown (about 4 hrs round trip) a couple times a week to get mom to Chemo and help dad out with things, too. The Sienna is on my mind because of that Toyota reputed reliability and I like the 2011 and newer body style.

Anything to look out for or be aware of? 2WD vs. 4WD?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just an observation as we had one actually come in our shop a few days ago.  It had like 75,000 miles and needed nothing, I want to say it was a 2012, but don't hold me to that..  Everything looked great, nothing done to it in those miles other than filters and oil changes.  Typical Toyota.   Nice Van, lots of room.  The captains chairs for the second row were a nice touch and they reclined.   It was AWD. Unless you really need AWD, Id just stick to the FWD.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a 2005 that we have based in Hawaii for our vacation vehicle.

The thing just runs.  It is so handy and practical for a family of 4+.  I think they are great vans.

Sorry I don't have more to add, but you won't go wrong with getting one.

Eta: it has the 2nd row Captain's chairs and fwd.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I've owned more 2WD cars than AWD/4WD cars in my life. I suppose AWD isn't a necessity, but it sure is a nice feature for these WI winters. How do the 2WD Siennas handle on snow/ice? Does the mass of being a van help with traction?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I miss the one we used to have.  Very handy for every suburban task: kids, groceries, big dog, all that.  My wife hooked a planter with the front wheel well and pretty much tore the whole front off, put it back together with zip ties and drive it another year before passing it off at carmax.  
I always said if I was going to embark on a life of crime my getaway vehicle would be a silver Toyota minivan.  Nobody even glances at them.  
The sienna is a great car in my book.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#5]
They are solid.

Skip the one with the small dvd screen as those were port installed and have had some issues electrically.

The ones with the larger flat screens were factory installed.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't completely rule out the Honda Odyssey if you haven't looked at it yet.  We bought a 2012 in 2014.  We looked at both Siennas and Odysseys and the Odyssey had a nicer interior, to us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Pacifica is getting AWD if you are comfortable with Chrysler and looking for AWD.  Personally I've had no issues with Chrysler products despite all the hate they get around here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Siennas are GTG, either 2wd or awd. The main difference is with awd you lose the 8th seat(a removable second row seat in the middle) and the underbody located spare, because of this the awd ones come with run flat tires which are more expensive and dont last as long,
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a big step down in passenger and cargo room.  You might not like it.  There's virtually no cargo room behind the third row, and that's true of all minivans, not just the Sienna.

We had a minivan (Windstar) when the kids were small.   We also looked at Siennas back in 2013 when we were searching for our latest (and last) minivan.  We were attracted by the AWD option.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a big step down in passenger and cargo room.  You might not like it.  There's virtually no cargo room behind the third row, and that's true of all minivans, not just the Sienna.

We had a minivan (Windstar) when the kids were small.   We also looked at Siennas back in 2013 when we were searching for our latest (and last) minivan.  We were attracted by the AWD option.
View Quote

I would have to disagree with this.  I had no problem packing a family of 4 to Florida for a week in my Odyssey.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would have to disagree with this.  I had no problem packing a family of 4 to Florida for a week in my Odyssey.
View Quote

Third row seat folded or unfolded?
Roof rack cargo carrier or hitch rack cargo carrier?

The dude's coming from an Expedition. Minivans are smaller. Much smaller.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Third row seat folded or unfolded?
Roof rack cargo carrier or hitch rack cargo carrier?

The dude's coming from an Expedition. Minivans are smaller. Much smaller.
View Quote

IIRC, third row was up, because my wife would go back there and sleep while I drove.  No roof or hitch carrier.  We did remove the middle seat from the middle row and had stuff packed there.  We took a large cooler full of food too.  I have no experience with an Expedition, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how much & well my van can carry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought a new 2008. Love it. You’ll pay a significant fuel penalty with AWD.

Edit to add: over 100k miles and used exactly zero oil.  None.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Reasons why I hadn't considered an Odyssey were that they tend to cost a little more and I've read that it had been plagued with transmission issues in certain years.

Two co-workers have Chrysler Pacificas and they seem nice, but I was leaning Toyota for the more reputable reliability.

As for the size, One of my LTs has an AWD Sienna. We parked our cars side-by-side and yes the Expedition is noticeably bigger in terms of exterior dimension, but after sitting in my the LT's Sienna and one at a stealership, it was apparent that the Sienna felt and looked roomier than my Expedition. Also, the 3rd row in the Sienna was useable for adults; I am 6'1" and 250 lbs and I felt comfortable in the back of the Sienna vs. The 3rd row of the Expedition.

I appreciate all the input, guys! Keep it coming!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I just sold the 2012 XLE AWD around Christmas, 125k miles never needed the AWD.

My first set of OEM brake pads lasted 80+K miles.

It only repair(other than body work from my wife hitting my car in our garage) was the sliding door and Airbag recalls.

The 3.5V6 has timing chain, as long as you keep up with the oil change, it's gonna outlast the car.

Spark plug job can cost $500 at the dealer.

It's very GTG.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Sienna is only 5" shorter in length than OP's Expedition. Width is within an inch, and track width is identical. The Sienna makes better use of its space because it doesn't have a truck-based hood and drivetrain.  It is a fabulous vehicle.

I had a Suburban when my boys were young and I still think it is the best family vehicle ever made.  That being said the Today Me would own a Sienna if I had kiddos.

Edit: I've been in a few vehicles here and there so I can compare them. Also, I'm 6'4" and a Sienna has more room than I need.  Ask me how I know.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top