Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2023 10:09:09 PM EDT
I've never done this before ... it should be interesting. I'm in the 5k.

Tough Mudder Obstacles
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't able to finish. Four obstacles from the end, an idiot rammed into me while submerged in ice water and slammed my head into a wooden beam. I was dazed and confused but I managed to get out. It took awhile and I was well into hypothermia by the time I got out of the 35 degree water/mud. Between the bump on my head and the hypothermia, the medics wouldn't let me continue.

I made it through every obstacle up to that point though, and was feeling great. I know I would have finished.

I now know what a race car driver feels like when they get taken out of a race by someone else's accident. Shit happens.

I'll be back. I'll be moving up the 15k or 20k next year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Bummer that you got bonked and didn’t finish.  Those mud runs are a good time.  My wife and I used to do those.  Started with Warrior Dash which is fun but pretty goofy and filled with very unfit people, then started doing Tough Mudder and Spartan Race which were better.  

We basically had our money stolen when they cancelled the event for covid lockdowns and that’s soured me on them pretty badly.  Still, I had a lot of fun doing them.  Maybe I should give it another shot next summer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheRadBaron:
Bummer that you got bonked and didn’t finish.  Those mud runs are a good time.  My wife and I used to do those.  Started with Warrior Dash which is fun but pretty goofy and filled with very unfit people, then started doing Tough Mudder and Spartan Race which were better.  

We basically had our money stolen when they cancelled the event for covid lockdowns and that’s soured me on them pretty badly.  Still, I had a lot of fun doing them.  Maybe I should give it another shot next summer.
View Quote

Thanks! I had fun even though I'm disappointed I wasn't able to finish. I could have bypassed the last three obstacles, walked over the finish line and claimed my headband but that's not how I'm wired.

Wow, that's pretty low that they didn't refund your money. I can see how that would sour you.

Tough Mudder is ditching the 5k and 10k. Next year, their entry-level will be a 20k. Over that, they'll have Ultimate and Infinity. Rumor has it they want to use the Spartan races for people just coming into OCR.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:

Thanks! I had fun even though I'm disappointed I wasn't able to finish. I could have bypassed the last three obstacles, walked over the finish line and claimed my headband but that's not how I'm wired.

Wow, that's pretty low that they didn't refund your money. I can see how that would sour you.

Tough Mudder is ditching the 5k and 10k. Next year, their entry-level will be a 20k. Over that, they'll have Ultimate and Infinity. Rumor has it they want to use the Spartan races for people just coming into OCR.
View Quote

9 years ago when they started they never offered a 5k or 10k. They were 10-13 miles.  In my opinion the 5k option really softened the idea of finishing a tough mudder. I started with Tough Mudders then moved to other events.  They’re a great challenge because you’re so afraid of failing you probably want to train not to fail.

Sucks about being taken out.  The electroshock therapy isn’t as scary as people (internet) make it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

9 years ago when they started they never offered a 5k or 10k. They were 10-13 miles.  In my opinion the 5k option really softened the idea of finishing a tough mudder. I started with Tough Mudders then moved to other events.  They’re a great challenge because you’re so afraid of failing you probably want to train not to fail.

Sucks about being taken out.  The electroshock therapy isn’t as scary as people (internet) make it.
View Quote

Thanks. I would have loved to finish but I feel good about what I did do. Knowing I would have finished helps lessen the sting a bit.

I totally get that softening you mentioned, even though this was my first time. I worked hard to get ready and I was shocked at how unprepared at least a third of the people were. I went into one obstacle with about 20 people and I was the only one who got over it. Everybody else went around after making what I would call a token effort. Some of the obstacles deemed to be designed to make sure everyone could get through them so they could feel good about themselves. That's not what I signed up for.

I'm pretty much decided I'm going to do the 10k "Super" Spartan event next year. I'm going to wait six months before signing up though. If I really work hard the next six months, I might go for the 21k event. That would be a serious stretch for me for next year, I think.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_J:
My wife did it, in her 40s, with MS.  So proud of her for completing the course, although she wasn't able to complete every challenge (ex: the hanging hand-over-hand).

Good luck with your attempt and sorry about the previous issues.
View Quote

Thanks! Wow, that is impressive! Very impressive. Salute!
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn’t realize I missed it this year.  I have done the 15k for the last three years at Palmer and for the most part it’s a good time.  I always ask people I go with if we are a “fun” group or a “competitive” one so that I can temper my expectations (and usually don’t go with “fun” groups who aren’t very fit).  Unlike the Spartan I feel they rely a little too much on the teamwork aspect as opposed to individual accomplishment but if you want to do the 15k next year (only a few more obstacles and lots of running) shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
I didn’t realize I missed it this year.  I have done the 15k for the last three years at Palmer and for the most part it’s a good time.  I always ask people I go with if we are a “fun” group or a “competitive” one so that I can temper my expectations (and usually don’t go with “fun” groups who aren’t very fit).  Unlike the Spartan I feel they rely a little too much on the teamwork aspect as opposed to individual accomplishment but if you want to do the 15k next year (only a few more obstacles and lots of running) shoot me a PM.
View Quote

Bummer. Thanks for the info. If I do well with my fitness goals this year, I may be interested in doing more than one event. I will contact you if I do.

I was solo this year. None of my 60-something friends were interested. Even the fit ones. They all think I'm nuts. I take it as a compliment.

I've been living where I live for almost 30 years and just learned that the Spartan course is about eight miles away from me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top