Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2020 2:35:33 PM EDT
So I am getting some pipes and tobacco for Christmas from my wife and she bought me some cigars as well.  I don't recall what pipe tobaccos but selected the cigars myself.  I bought two samplers which contain the below:

5 - Gurkha Governor's Private Blend (5" x 55)   (she selected these for me to try earlier, good but dry)
5 - Gurkha Archive Torpedo (6.5" x 52)
5 - Gurkha Beast (6.5" x 56)
5 - Gurkha Beauty (6.5" x 56)
5 - Gurkha Titan (6.2" x 56)
5 - Gurkha Symphony Grand Rothschild (6.5" x 55)
5 - Gurkha Double Maduro Double Rothschild (6.5" x 58)
5 - Man O' War Ruination Belicoso (5.7" x 56)
5 - Diesel Rage Toro (6" x 54)
5 - Ave Maria Divinia (6" x 54)
5 - Diesel Wicked (6.2" x 56)
5 - La Herencia Cubana CORE Toro (6.5" x 52)
5 - Man O' War Armada (6.5" x 56)
5 - Ave Maria Reconquista (7" x 54)

I have some others in the Tupperware but this post is getting ridiculous.  

Now I smoked the below while waiting for my cigars to arrive and enjoyed them all but don't have the experience to say much beyond that.  I can tell when they change while smoking but no way can i do a wine snob level of analysis  of the flavors.  The below cigars and the others bought at the store were purchased based on 1-2 being left in the box and me getting the box.  My kids and I are loving the boxes.

Arturo Fuenta Curly Head Deluxe Maduro
Mi amor de cuba
A Fuenta Gran Reserve
Cuban Rejects
Cuban rounds

Now I bought a couple hundred Cuban Rounds , Nicaraguan rejects, New cuba, and CI Knockoffs to "practice" on.  

I have 10 huge HEB tupperware containers with the digital meters (need some more of these),  boveda 72, I guess these should be replace with 65?

I am thinking of converting an antique steamer trunk to a humidor thoughts?

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 12 pack of hygrometers on Amazon.They work and can be put inside any Tupperware containers. 72 is good if you live in very dry regions, 65 is better if you live in very humid regions. I thought about the same thing of having a large humidor made from a cedar chest. The problem is being able to find what you want when you want to smoke it I think they'd be great if you were planning on storing stuff for a long time but a simple Tupperware container that you can open and search for the one you want to find, some thing that's worked out really well for me even though I have like 14 of them.

As far as cigars go, I have learned here Gurkha is a brand left alone. Smoke what you have to see what they are about, but if you get on cigar bid, you will notice they sell for way less than other brands. They have become infamous for being a lot of flash and fancy labels more than having much flavor. That is my personal experience.

look on YouTube at cigar reviews. I usually watch Cigar Obsession, and I've learned a lot. It's like everything else, cigar smoking is something that there is a lot to learn about. The less we know about something  tends to make us think we know a lot about it, generally that's how it works and the more you look into it the more you find out there's tons of information and things to know about smoking cigars and pipes. I just bought my first Savanelli 320 oceana , and started smoking pipes again. I'm still preferring cigars more. Just more satisfying for me I guess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been watching cigar bid, but am not active "yet".  It was what clued me in on the Gurkha not being great.  Seeing someone called a dirty Gurkha smoker was a cluel Good point about the chest.
I am in central Texas so pretty humid most of the year.  I guess I will go with the 65 when these die.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#3]
When they die soak them in a container of distilled water and reuse as needed. To expensive to toss, and can be reused only God knows for how long. Don't waste your time with the damp paper towel in a bag trick. Just soak them in a big puddle of distilled water two to three days or longer if needed.

Even better you can buy the dried pellets really cheap on Amazon and just make your own container. That is even cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=desacant+beads
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top